Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » It's just a sacred kinda thing » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page It's just a sacred kinda thing
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
quote:
Originally posted by PuP
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
I am very glad I did not invest any $ getting HD, Doppelganger, VH on CD from ebay or whatever. They're decent and have a few bright spots, but I don't enjoy them enough to justify the $.

So would you spew them back to the store?

nah, i wouldn't go that far. Big Grin

i'm sick and tired of having to make an effort to read your posts! Mad

Tongue

even that was too long? Tongue Big Grin

so you prefer a simple "nay" Tongue Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
10-09-2007 13:38 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
I always liked DFBB a lot for a few reasons:

1) Scary. I mean, it is a rock/pop record, but it has an unhinged quality to it that makes it dangerous. Doppelganger had it too but the overarching Alarma concept helped smooth out some of the jaggedness. It was, more than any other DA record up to that time, even too weird for my art-rock friends. That the band reached a point where they said, "we're going ahead and we don't sound like anybody we know of right now & it doesn't matter" was an incredibly brave thing for any band to do - Christian, secular or "other".

2) When it got pretty, it got very pretty. I'm thinking of the chorus of "The Unattainable Earth", the mood of "The Earth Household", the choir-like close of "The Shape Of Air".

3) When it got ugly, it got very ugly. The dissonance of "Safety Net", the near atonal aspects of the verse of "Pictures Of The Gone World" where everything is barely hanging together, "Darn Floor Big Bite" and how it grabs you by the l'apels and shakes you until the swiss vanilla booboo falls out.

4) Even with these disparate emotions at odds, everything sounds like it hangs together. These songs wouldn't fit on other DA albums and those other songs would feel alien and too round, too fleshy having been transplanted here. And to reiterate, no one sounded like this. Look on the Billboard 100 for this year and you'd hear nothing that came close in tone. We were still trying to rock like Kraftwerk with big keyboards. Only Peter Gabriel and U2 came close in aspiration, but both made sure their feet were grounded in pop. "Divine Instant" pretty much insists, "Why don't you tell us what we sound like".

It isn't my all-time favorite DA but it holds a special place for me. I felt an odd sense of pride knowing that this band in this oft-derided sub-sub-sub-subgenre slipped under the radar and dropped something brilliant that sent their richer, better-known contemporaries straight back to Kindergarten.

DwD

Very nice thoughts.
Some of the very same reasons I loved this record. Cool

10-09-2007 15:21 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » It's just a sacred kinda thing

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH