Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » How did you find DA? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (13): « first ... « previous 11 12 [13] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page How did you find DA? 10 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1010 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1010 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1010 Votes - Average Rating: 9.10
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Doke Doke is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 02-21-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I saw them in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I've been to Minneapolis a few times. Saw Resurrection Band & Jerusalem there around a year or two before I think...
03-02-2007 14:51 Doke is offline Search for Posts by Doke Add Doke to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Here it is. Pleased

07-04-2008 10:46 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Ok, thanks! I'm copying my other post here (where it belongs), so if an administrator wants to close that other thread, they can.

In 2000, I was looking for better Christian rock than what I had in my collection. I had a lot of Petra, some DeGarmo & Key, Whiteheart, Whitecross, Deliverance, Holy Soldier (their Last Train album is pretty good), Guardian, Newsboys, PFR and Bloodgood. I was at a Christian book store and found DA's Preachers From Outer Space, which looked different and interesting, so I purchased it. The first four songs didn't make a big impression on me, but then I heard track five, Hound of Heaven, and track seven, Horrendous Disc (which I'd heard Deliverance's cover of), and I was hooked.
I quickly ordered (on-line) Horrendous Disc. Wow, where was this my whole life? So a couple weeks later I ordered Alarma, which I liked even better than HD. A couple months later came Bibleland, which didn't impress me (I have come to love Out In The Cold and Bakersfield, which, after my father-in-law's passing in Bakersfield from "incompetence, tubes and wires, indifference, fools and liars," has special meaning) and Our Personal Favorite World Famous Hits. A few weeks afterward I purchased Songs of the Heart, which, really, is underrated. I love Glory Road and I still can't believe a rock band--any rock band--let alone DA, covered Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You, but they did an awesome job of it. A few months after that I found a lone copy of The Alarma Chronicles Book Set at a Christian book store. I had to have it--best "book" I ever purchased. (However, I let someone barrow the third CD--with the second half of Vox Humana and all of Fearful Symmetry--and he would never give it back and later he moved then I moved). All of this within the first year of purchasing Preachers From Outer Space.
Since then I've found probably 45-50 albums that I would consider "better" Christian rock--including The 77's, The Choir, The Lost Dogs, The Swirling Eddies, LSU, ProtoKaw, etc, etc, etc--stuff I never heard, or rarely heard, on the Christian radio and rarely saw in the Christian book stores.
A highlight of all of this is when I saw Terry Scott Taylor live (with Phil Madeira) in Chandler, AZ, for his Pretend I'm Elvis tour. I sat right up front not more than 12 feet from Terry, and got to talk with him after the show. Best concert I've ever been to.

07-04-2008 11:05 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

I read the review of DFBB in HRS & bought it based on that review.
It took me about a years to decide I really liked that record.
It became my favorite.

The next record I got was FS.

I got into the Swirling Eddies through a friend, but did not know they where DA for another year or so.
Loved The Eddies right away.

Then I got Dr Edward Daniel Taylor "Miracle Faith Telethon" and that helped fill in the gaps.

Not long after that Sotgun Angel (that was a shock after all the cool-weird rock stuff.)

Than Vox Humana, iAlarma!, DH, etc...

So I got the early stuff a little out of order.

07-04-2008 12:04 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
peacebringer
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Found cassettes in a record store when in college in the 80's. Listened and greatly enjoyed them.
07-04-2008 13:40 peacebringer is offline Homepage of peacebringer Search for Posts by peacebringer Add peacebringer to your Buddy List
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

I was aware of DA through picking up Lost Dogs Scenic Routes and Little Red Riding Hood. I'm a long time fan of The 77's...so when Lost Dogs formed, I had to get it.
The Taylor contributions from Lost Dogs were too good to be true, and at the time I was on some Columbia Club CD thing...and I needed to order 4 CD's...and as I looked through their catalog, I saw Songs Of The Heart. So I bought it. My first DA experience. It wasn't exactly what I expected it to be...but it was still good.
Years later I became an independent music writer with my own web-zine (theblackandwhitemag.com...now defunct), and was given a copy of Mr. Buechner's Dream from Lisa at Galaxy21. That's the record that BLEW me away!!!
And it's only been quite recent that I've ordered everything I could possibly find on-line, and I've completed my beautiful DA discography...along with some great Eddies and solo records...

That's my story in a nutshell...

07-04-2008 15:32 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
Pages (13): « first ... « previous 11 12 [13] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » How did you find DA?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH