Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » MBD Question » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page MBD Question
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Author of the Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcticsunburn
There is no guarantee that Daniel Amos will continue. Not because they wouldn't want to continue, but because the album may flop. Sometimes it takes more than hard work to make an album - like money. I think the attitude however, is more like "who cares, we've come this far."

MBD flop? Hardly. Excellent album!

-- taotp

I can't say this from experience, but I figure when you release an album you get some jitters.

MBD is a success to us fans, but if we're talking numbers, then unfortunately it could be described as a "flop."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I saw Terry comment somewhere that "sales were pretty normal." I sensed a little disappointment in those words, but maybe that's just me. Confused

07-25-2002 17:53 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah it is sad that only a few of us are "in the know" about this band. MBD could be huge. But how do you market such an album to the general public?

07-25-2002 20:22 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Extenuating circumstances Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well friend, consider that sales have only been via web, fest, and word of mouth. Guess what? You won't find a copy in any retail store (because of Diamante going toe up). How is it I can find four DA titles today in my Family Christian bookstore, and none are MBD?

I'm absolutely nuts over it, even a year after I got my copies. Yeah, I even went as far as to buy a nice frame and put my autographed lyric sheet behind it.

MBD got EXTREMELY favorable reviews across the gambit of reviews, and even got 4.5/5 rating from CCM Mag (not exactly a bastion of DA fanaticism!) They built the better mousetrap - IMO the best DA work ever - and the world has still found ways to beat paths to their door.

Taking the circumstances into account, I would definitely call it a success on many levels.

07-25-2002 21:45 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Yeah it is sad that only a few of us are "in the know" about this band. MBD could be huge. But how do you market such an album to the general public?

I don't think you can.

It's too long for non-fans. I've let several people at work listed to both discs. they usually give them back in a short time and say thanks, but no thanks. When I make a shorter version of selected songs, I always get a better response.

just my 2¢ worth

BD
07-25-2002 21:46 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

I found MBD at my local Christian bookstore... I looked for anything else I could find, but nothing. Crying

07-26-2002 00:20 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Shemp
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Author of the Post
Often I find that I don't pay that much attention to the lyrics, and if I do, it's one line. If that line has meaning, that is enough. Trying to decypher a DA song can be like trying to make sense of the book of Revelations. Of course, some songs are more straightforward and less image driven, but I almost prefer the stuff that just sets a mood or puts me in a mood.

Albums like "Doppleganger" and "Fearful Symmetry" really do it for me. I can't quite explain it, but I don't need to explain why I like the album. It's not necessarily the lyrical content (even though "Real Girls," "Mall All over the World," "The Pool," "Neverland Ballroom," and "Instruction Thru Film" have a very literal side) but I guess I just like to feel something different, kind of take me into a different world.

MBD tends to have this retro feel that is so contemporary. I can't explain that. But the album makes me feel good. I tend to use music a lot when I write (I'm a playwright for those of you who didn't know.) I like to put on albums that evoke a mood. Often there is no simple words like "peppy" or "sad" to put to it, it's just a mood.

I don't know if I'm making any sense at all, and I've diverged a lot I know. But oh, well, just my 2 cents.

-- The Author of the Post

(who is capable of meaningful posts, although not always coherent)

AP... Keep the change....
07-26-2002 12:06
Shemp
unregistered

Just Kidding Big Grin
07-26-2002 12:07
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I think this has already been said, but MBD was listed as a sale item in the Family Christian Stores ad they mail out. I have actually seen it in the store. Unfortunately, my guess is that it is probably still sitting in the store. Sorry to sound so pessimistic.

07-26-2002 12:25 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Author of the Post Author of the Post is a male
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

quote:
Originally posted by Shemp
Just Kidding Big Grin

For a second, I thought you were being mean. Frown Then I saw your follow-up post.

Pleased

07-28-2002 15:34 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Shemp

AP... Keep the change....

I missed that one the first time around, I'll have to remember it...pretty funny Big Grin

BD
07-28-2002 15:38 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Author of the Post Author of the Post is a male
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

As for MBD not selling well, I think a major issue is that people have never heard of Daniel Amos. You can't just walk into a music store and happen across a Daniel Amos album on the listening station (like in Border's--at least I've never seen Daniel Amos carried in Border's.)

Unfortunately, Daniel Amos doesn't have a "hip" look that would hold up in videos for VH1 or even MTV2. It's a shame. Video killed the radio star, and this is quite true, you have to have an appealing look AND play good music to make it (or at least look good.)

I think there needs to be some more targeted marketing for Daniel Amos. There is a market for well-written and well-crafted music. Unfortunately, the Christian music market is not usually where you find it. And even if you do, it's a couple of albums, but not all. Daniel Amos has been pretty consistent and improved and matured over the years, I think they are ready for the rest of the world.

In one sense, I like knowing that I know this group that no one else does, but in another, I want everyone to share in this gem. Why can't Daniel Amos get a song or two out on soundtracks of movies. Even the short-lived Chagall Guevara got a song on a soundtrack.

What do others think of this?

07-28-2002 15:49 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
mannequin left
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 07-19-2002

MBS sales Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have been frustrated about the poor sales and underappreciation of the band's artistry for years..
So, in my great naivite, I decided to try and battle the injustice this past week-end. I wrote a letter to our local Christian radio station, introducing them to MBD and offering to buy copies for the staff if they would consider its merit and possibly give it some air time. I rarely listen to radio, but I do not think they have played anything DA related for about 5 years. That was a Christmas tune from the Choir's album on which Jerry C shared lead vocals with Deri. I nearly drove off the Cuesta Grade when I heard the song on the radio...
Anyways, I was thinking that the letter may push a few blades through the concrete of the evangelical ghetto if it is accompanied by a few prayers... Any donnas out there?
07-29-2002 16:57 mannequin left is offline Send an Email to mannequin left Search for Posts by mannequin left Add mannequin left to your Buddy List
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
I think this has already been said, but MBD was listed as a sale item in the Family Christian Stores ad they mail out. I have actually seen it in the store. Unfortunately, my guess is that it is probably still sitting in the store. Sorry to sound so pessimistic.
I bought it a Family Christian on saturday. They had all single CDs on sale for $13.99 and they sold me MBD for the same price even though it is a 2 CD set. I did bring it to the cashier's attention, so I don't feel guilty about getting a good deal.

07-30-2002 08:13 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

On the lyrics Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It's impossible to know what they meant. I thought it was from the perspective of Mr Buechner, not DA!
It could refer to the attitude of the believer to be ready at any instant, not expecting anything else better to come.
It could be a precursor to the end of the Daniel Amos incarnation of Terry Taylor and friends, while still allowing any of his other incarnations including DA.
Color me clueless.

07-30-2002 08:17 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » MBD Question

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH