Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » 77s in Knoxville, TN (well, Alcoa really) » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page 77s in Knoxville, TN (well, Alcoa really)
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Thumb Up! 77s in Knoxville, TN (well, Alcoa really) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This is on topic because Mike made mention of Terry. Smile

(Somebody post this on the 77s board if you want to).

Mike and Mark were awesome in Knoxville, TN last night! They played a very good blend of tunes. Majority 77s stuff with Roe solo coming in fairly close second and a Dog tune or two. They took a several songs to warm up and get in a groove, but then WOW! I am so amazed by Mike's passion and soul that comes out even more in his live playing. What an awesome voice too - from that low growl to those high soft tones almost like the flip of a switch.

Mark played rhythm acoustic (Takamine) on several tunes. The rest of the time he sort of set up a percussive beat with his 5-string electric bass on one of those loop thingamajigs (since they were sans drummer) and then played normal bass over the top of that. It was a little different but very enjoyable. On one of the final songs, Mark did a pretty awesome bass solo on the upper frets - you could tell he was really into it and having a good time. I really liked his "slither" background vocals on "Snake" - (I like the way it kind of sounds like "sinner" too - the accuser creeps up behind us occasionally and tries to get us to bite on this line again).

Mike had a Strat he borrowed from Derri and he made some comment about it being an effeminate guitar because it was a light green color with perhaps a hint of blue in it. Mike only played one tune on the Strat because he said the amp sounded horrible and perhaps had a tube out (looked to be vintage blackface, black cab, Fender Vibrolux). I sort of wished he would have done another 1 or 2 tunes on it anyway but I was not disappointed. He made that Taylor smoke too!

They told several good stories. Some I somewhat remember:

1) Mike said something like that it was really fun being on the BBQ tour with Terry but there is a limit to everything and it was time for something different. He said that Terry had a hot plate in the back of the "bus" and was frying livermush on it and then proceeded to plop down a big onion on it, resulting in Mike having to stick his head out the window for a few miles.

2) Mike told a little more background of some of the "banned" tunes and albums with "issues" like Pray Naked and another song that I don't remember (from an earlier 77s album, not Safe As Milk). He sang the "nice" recorded version of Dogs' Lovely Man. Also mentioned artwork "issues" with 77s Drowning With Land In Sight. Told story of For Crying Out Loud and did awesome version of that.

3) Told of being on paid vacation in Sweden (Stockholm, I think in the maybe mid 90s). Painted picture of it being a nice almost storybook place, with people leaving babies in the carriages outside restaurants while they were eating and old people and kids walking around everywhere. Then, toward the end of their stay a bartender down the street was attacked severely at "night" and when they heard the commotion and went outside the police arrived and it was a tricky situation at first. (It was a time of year when the sun didn't set). Also, I think he said Bruce kept a tape rolling on their "vacation" and they came up with the basis for about 3 albums' worth of tunes. He said it was weird seeing all these awesome blonde women, none of whom would talk to you, and how that contrasted with San Francisco.

I found out Mark spent a lot of time near Johnson City, TN which is less than 2 hours from here.

Some of the songs I definitely remember hearing (I think), in no particular order, perhaps about half or slightly over of what they played. I wasn't looking at my watch exactly when they started but I think the show basically ran from about 8:15 or 8:30 to about 11:00. I was disappointed in the low turnout - (maybe 50 people or less?) - but they played awesome anyways. I went with a friend from my church and the first people we met at the show were from our town! Thanks to Doug, Spring of Light ministries, and everyone else associated with getting the show setup.
Genuine
Related
Sevens
MT (I think, it was the one they sold to Fox that was used on TV episode with Shannon Doherty).
Nobody's Fault But Mine
The Jig is Up
For Crying Out Loud
Snake (Mike said the tour version was better than the one done on earlier tour with Leonhardt, and I agreed)
Perfect Blues (I think)
Sneakers
Go With God But Go
The Lust...
Ache Beautiful (personally one of the highlights vocally)

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Mountain Fan: 03-24-2004 09:09.

03-24-2004 09:07 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-602.gif

Registration Date: 05-01-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool thanks for the nice review MF Big Grin I posted it on the 7's board too Smile )

03-24-2004 09:37 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
booswain1 booswain1 is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 02-19-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It was a great show...

Don't forget they ended with Ba Ba Ba Ba

one of my faves..

Jeff
03-24-2004 11:30 booswain1 is offline Send an Email to booswain1 Search for Posts by booswain1 Add booswain1 to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

reading all that made me sad..

but am glad you put it out.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-24-2004 12:53 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
reading all that made me sad..

but am glad you put it out.

Me too! I didn't necessarily want to go until MF got home and started telling me about what a great show it was! I actually got a little jealous. But then when he told me that the guy who went with him is recently out of work, I got over my jealousy real quick. I was glad I gave up my spot to give this man an opportunity to do something he otherwise couldn't do! (pray for him - he was out of work for about 5 or 6 months, got a job and quit because they did him very wrong.)

I also am glad that you put it out MF, although I definitely have the advantage here of hearing the story firsthand, in person, the next morning at breakfast! I got to hear the excitement in his voice! Just imagine how you all feel when you are playing music and you know you just nailed a song! That's the excitement I felt vibing from him that morning!

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
03-25-2004 17:04 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

bereal- Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

some wives have all the fun......

My wife has no interest (or little ) in my TST/DA/LD/SE fascination- but my one daughter is hooked.- we went to the BBQ with my older son (hes 90% on board- from the old days) and Sister Wog.

My older boy and I saw a TST show also- what a highlight that was- I wasnt even a DAMBer then.

I do believe that Sharon (wife dear) would really enjoy a TST Show, or more so , Mikes latest foray- shes not a 77s/DA /SE type music fan
(but likes a bit o' the dogs, and Mikes Solos...)

thanks for the breakfast table viewpoint

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-26-2004 07:43 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Thanks for the stories

03-28-2004 21:23 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

Cool Jiminy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

U R Welcome! I'm the emotional one of the MF/BR union! But he tends to get just as emotional over music!

Here's a bit of background on why I have all the fun! Hopefully your wife will soon join! It's been recently that I have become fascinated with TST/DA/77's/Dogs. I had been bitten by a major religion bug! Knew something was wrong at church; MF didn't see it for a while. Change came in Sept. '02. MF told me about a Dogs show in Charlotte (about 2 hour drive from here). He tricked me with an acoustic worship CD that Derri produced and sang on. I fell in love with his voice!

MF had 3 guys to go with him to see the Dogs; one by one they all cancelled. The religion bug bit; I just couldn't see MF going to a bar in Charlotte by himself (like I was going to protect him! Ha! Roll Eyes ). So I told him I would go. (I did have ulterior motives! Big Grin ) We had a great time and got to talk for a while to Terry!

While there, a man who lives near Asheville sat beside MF and was so excited about what God was doing in his church. In the car, MF told me how sad it was that we couldn't say the same about our church. At that point we started to visit around. That's how we ended up at an interdenominational church and the religion bug was squashed!

My fascination for the Dogs flourished. We went and saw them in Taccoa Falls, GA (about 2 hours from here) with our children. It was a good show, but a little different than the one in the bar. Afterwards, we had a chance to get some pics with the guys and even had the chance to talk with Derri.

Then the Backyard BBQ tour came. We went to a private show north of Atlanta (about 4 hours from here). Yeah! We're crazy! Shocked Tongue But it was worth it because Derri was planning to be there! (Like I said earlier, I fell in love with his voice!) We had such a good time, and I began to really appreciate Mike and Terry's talent much more at that point. Then we started to play more of Terry's music and I just opened up! He's a musical genius!

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by bereal: 03-29-2004 01:24.

03-29-2004 01:23 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » 77s in Knoxville, TN (well, Alcoa really)

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH