Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » It's just a sacred kinda thing » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page It's just a sacred kinda thing
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

It's just a sacred kinda thing Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just want to say that Kalhoun is a brilliant freakin' album. Dusted this one off today and was blown away all over again. It's always been one of my favorites, but I'd forgotten just how great it really is. Gloryhound is just sublime. That tune sounds like DA meets Some Girls-era Rolling Stones. Awesome.

Show some love for Kalhoun, people!
09-28-2007 21:01 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

But what exactly does it mean?

09-28-2007 21:22 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
James
Mind Peach

Thread Starter Thread Started by James
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Don't know exactly what it means. Tongue
09-28-2007 21:24 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
PuP

If You Want To is one of my 1,000 all-time favorite TST tunes.

09-28-2007 21:26 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
James
Mind Peach

It's in my top 500, as well.
09-28-2007 21:35 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
PuP

I'm moving it into my top 250, just to spite you.

09-28-2007 21:35 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
James
Mind Peach

Into my top 249 it goes, then.
09-28-2007 21:38 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
PuP

Drat you!

I didn't want to do this, but you have forced my hand. I am moving it into my top 100! Ha!

09-28-2007 21:40 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
James
Mind Peach

It's now my favorite song EVER.
09-28-2007 21:41 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

I loved it before TST ever even wrote it! Tongue

...and I also had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."
09-29-2007 00:11 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Aqua Green Toupee Aqua Green Toupee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-19-2004

I think you can make a case that K is their best album. Even better than Mr. B.
09-29-2007 09:24 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Don't get me wrong, Kalhoun is a great album, but Mr. B seems so much more like a fleshed-out overview of the band and what it can do whereas this one feels like the dawn of the grunge era, specifically in "Kalhoun", "Father Explains" and "Virgin Falls". It's not as grungy and gut-level as "Bibleland" mind you (I call it the angry DA album) but you feel that aggression coming in pretty strongly.

I find it important to note that "Father Explains" was a reaction to the first Iraq war and almost seems tame in contrast to our current quagmire. Not to get all political (since that kind of tack belongs in the political debate thread), but I wonder how Terry would have approached the song if he knew what Bush 43 would be doing a decade later and on.

DwD
09-29-2007 10:04 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Drtuddle
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-509.jpg

Registration Date: 03-27-2002

Darn Floor Big Bite is a work of ART!

09-29-2007 12:05 Drtuddle is offline Send an Email to Drtuddle Homepage of Drtuddle Search for Posts by Drtuddle Add Drtuddle to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

One of the things I think is cool about Kalhoun is how they'd change the chords sometimes on the second or third pass of the verse or chorus. They do this in Gloryhound and Gate of the World. Don't know if this was intentional or if they were still learning the songs as they recorded, but I think it sounds very cool.

By the way, how freakin' cool is Gate of the World! I love this album!
09-29-2007 12:47 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

I remember my excitement when I heard that Kalhoun was coming out....the long lost return OF THE BAND!!!!

It didn't disappoint, either. Great album.

www.smashthatcomputer.com
09-29-2007 23:11 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

I came in on Kalhoun late

I love the less toted numbers like
Sweet Interior- and Virgin Falls
and Gate of the World is one of terrys most underrated songs about Eternity.

I can't compare it to MBD- to me Kalhoun is more of a concept recording- and MBD has way to much to be strictly limited to one theme (though parts of it are obvious.)

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
09-30-2007 10:11 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Thumb Up! RE: It's just a sacred kinda thing Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by James
Gloryhound is just sublime. That tune sounds like DA meets Some Girls-era Rolling Stones. Awesome.

Right on the money. I have always thought that as well. Cool

10-02-2007 15:39 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
anochria anochria is a male
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-529.gif

Registration Date: 05-11-2004

RE: It's just a sacred kinda thing Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Kalhoun was my first DA album (I started off with Swirling Eddies, interestingly). Big Warm Sweet... and Gloryhound are honestly, truly, in my top 10.

The crunchy (and slide) guitar, falsetto vocals, and drums on Gloryhound are indeed sublime.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by anochria: 10-06-2007 12:23.

10-06-2007 12:19 anochria is offline Send an Email to anochria Homepage of anochria Search for Posts by anochria Add anochria to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Just listened to DFBB again (transferring from cassette). IMHO nothing else they have done really matches it. It is simply their best. Although if I had to pick 1 DA song as a favorite, I'm not sure if it would come off this one or not.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
10-06-2007 21:18 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Drtuddle
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-509.jpg

Registration Date: 03-27-2002

quote:
Just listened to DFBB again (transferring from cassette).

DFBB was ground breaking and if DA ever gets any justice some music historian will give them there due!

10-07-2007 22:56 Drtuddle is offline Send an Email to Drtuddle Homepage of Drtuddle Search for Posts by Drtuddle Add Drtuddle to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » It's just a sacred kinda thing

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH