Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » A Briefing For The Ascent (CD vs LP) » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page A Briefing For The Ascent (CD vs LP)
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ftg3plus4 ftg3plus4 is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-622.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2005

A Briefing For The Ascent (CD vs LP) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I originally got this album on LP, and when I replaced it with the CD I was surprised to find that several things had been edited out:

(1) The introductory sketch performed by Terry and (I assume) Greg.

(2) Most of the long lead-in to "Going Home."

(3) The little spoken "instructional cassette" intros ("Part 3 - The Battle").

While the removal of (3) was a definite improvement, I've been curious as to whether there is, or might be coming up, a CD edition that restores (1) and (2). Anyone know?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ftg3plus4: 05-07-2010 10:06.

05-07-2010 10:05 ftg3plus4 is online Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I believe we have the master that includes all of the edited stuff so it could certainly be restored if Terry wanted to do that. I don't know which version he prefers.

There has been talk about bringing back both Knowledge & Innocence and Briefing.. possibly even as a set. (This is not an official announcement of anything.. just mentioning that it has been on our minds) So far nothing is definite.. everyones attention has been on the new Dogs stuff, the Return to the Neverhood and other things.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
05-07-2010 11:07 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Thread Starter Thread Started by ftg3plus4
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

As far as I'm concerned, the perfect version would restore (1) and (2) but keep (3) out.

Speaking of K&I, I noticed that the CD version edited one really small thing from the LP version: the "scratchy-record" outro of "Riders of the Western Skies." Not a big loss there, of course.

05-07-2010 11:18 ftg3plus4 is online Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

RE: A Briefing For The Ascent (CD vs LP) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ftg3plus4
I originally got this album on LP, and when I replaced it with the CD I was surprised to find that several things had been edited out:

(1) The introductory sketch performed by Terry and (I assume) Greg.

(2) Most of the long lead-in to "Going Home."

(3) The little spoken "instructional cassette" intros ("Part 3 - The Battle").

While the removal of (3) was a definite improvement, I've been curious as to whether there is, or might be coming up, a CD edition that restores (1) and (2). Anyone know?

This is why I kept my cassette even after I got the CD. I liked even the segments that were just footsteps between songs. It really tied the album together.
05-10-2010 08:56 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

While I like all the dialogue intros and such, the only really annoying thing is how "Where Dreams Come True" is chopped almost in half. It could be that Terry didn't like the falsetto singing on it, or thought it had become too precious over time, but I take the stand that it is what it is. Chopping the song like that just seemed so extreme.
05-10-2010 14:16 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

I prefer the CD version.
All that extraneous stuff just gets in the way of the music.

05-16-2010 06:56 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

wow, i got in the way of the music once... it was not a pretty sight

Psalm 119:83

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by sondance: 05-18-2010 21:53.

05-17-2010 23:15 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Right?

05-18-2010 18:21 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

left

Psalm 119:83
05-18-2010 21:53 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

she's gone

05-18-2010 23:23 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

yep but where?

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
05-18-2010 23:28 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

More is better than less Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'd like to see the whole recording restored, meaning everything on the cassette, plus any outtakes & extras on the end.

If you separate out the interludes into separate tracks, then whoever doesn't like it can rip/reburn as they see fit. This way should please everyone.

05-19-2010 13:40 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Less is more.

Maybe as a double version?

Have the first disc be "stripped down" and the Second disc be "pimped out."

05-22-2010 04:35 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
the only really annoying thing is how "Where Dreams Come True" is chopped almost in half. It could be that Terry didn't like the falsetto singing on it, or thought it had become too precious over time, but I take the stand that it is what it is. Chopping the song like that just seemed so extreme.

I didn't notice anything like that. Am I just not remembering the LP version very well or do you have a different CD version??

07-21-2010 13:21 ftg3plus4 is online Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

On my CD, I have only the last verse and chorus. The rest is gone. It's not a disc flaw as the edit is perfectly added in, but if there are CD versions that actually have three verses on it, then now I'm feeling kinda burned.
07-22-2010 15:39 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Woolly Eggwhisk

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
On my CD, I have only the last verse and chorus. The rest is gone. It's not a disc flaw as the edit is perfectly added in, but if there are CD versions that actually have three verses on it, then now I'm feeling kinda burned.

Can you give me the track titles & times on your copy, as well as what label it's on? I want to compare to mine.

07-23-2010 06:54 ftg3plus4 is online Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

I know this is a really old thread, but...

I have been in the process of creating a custom "hybrid" version of BRIEFING, with the main stuff restored that was edited out of the CD version, but also with most of the intrusive spoken parts ("Part x - The X") still left out.

I decided to check into DwD's comments about "Where Dreams Come True," and sure enough the CD version was 2:59 in comparison to the LP version of 4:26. Overall, it looks like the CD version is some 4 minutes shorter than the LP.

I may have some comments about the album later, but I just wanted to mention this part now.

03-21-2022 14:00 ftg3plus4 is online Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Text Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I can't get to my cassette copy at the moment; it's in the back of the closet shelf. But discogs lists the time as 2:59 for that version. On the other hand, it lists 2:59 for all versions. I remember all the words from the lyrics on the site here, so I'm not sure what may have been cut.

Can you tell what makes up the additional 1'25"?

My CD version (1993, Frontline) has the whole 2:59. The final verse and chorus start at 1:40, which would have DwDunphy's version only 1:19, or 1:34 if they included the instrumental music from the beginning of the song. Seems extreme to cut it short like that. Confused

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Jimmy Brown: 03-22-2022 18:14.

03-22-2022 18:11 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Brown
Can you tell what makes up the additional 1'25"?

My CD version (1993, Frontline) has the whole 2:59. The final verse and chorus start at 1:40, which would have DwDunphy's version only 1:19, or 1:34 if they included the instrumental music from the beginning of the song. Seems extreme to cut it short like that. Confused

They didn't cut the song down from 2:59 to something even shorter. They cut the song down from 4:26 to 2:59. (So technically the difference is 1:27.)

I did a comparison between the LP and CD versions, and here's what's different.

The LP version starts with footstep sounds and "Part 4: The Ascent."
Verse 1 is "You come to me in silence of the night."
Verse 2 is "The stars come nightly to the ancient sky."
Verse 3 is a repeat of verse 1.
At the end Terry sings: "To be with you where dreams come true / To be with you where dreams come true," with the last 4 words sung higher.

The CD version starts at a point about 1:20 into the LP version. Thus, the intro (footsteps etc.), the 1st verse & 1st chorus are all cut off. Also, at the end, the bars with the last 4 words are edited out, so the song ends with "To be with you."

Honestly, I wouldn't have noticed that the song was shorter if DwD hadn't pointed it out, and I wouldn't have known what was cut out without carefully comparing the versions.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by ftg3plus4: 03-23-2022 07:18.

03-23-2022 07:06 ftg3plus4 is online Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks for the explanation! Now I need to dig out my cassette. I know it has the "footsteps and 'Part 4: The Ascent'" part, but I don't remember if it has all the rest.

Then I need to buy a cassette player. Roll Eyes
03-24-2022 06:20 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » A Briefing For The Ascent (CD vs LP)

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH