Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » R.I.P. Larry Norman » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page R.I.P. Larry Norman
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
NonProphet NonProphet is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

R.I.P. Larry Norman Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hi, fellow DAMBers.

Jerry Chamberlain just sent word that Larry Norman passed away today. No details yet, but I'd imagine his loved ones could use some prayers.

Steve Broderson

02-24-2008 19:14 NonProphet is offline Send an Email to NonProphet Homepage of NonProphet Search for Posts by NonProphet Add NonProphet to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

For the sake of the guests who can't see the off-topic discussions below:

MESSAGE FROM SOLID ROCK - PLEASE READ
Hello everybody.

Our friend and my wonderful brother Larry passed away at 2:45 Sunday
morning. Kristin and I were with him, holding his hands and sitting in
bed with him when his heart finally slowed to a stop. We spent this past
week laughing, singing, and praying with him, and all the while he had
us taking notes on new song ideas and instructions on how to continue
his ministry and art.

Several of you friends here got to come and visit with him in the last
couple of weeks and were a great source of help and friendship to Larry.
Ray Sievers, Derek Robertson, Mike Makinster, Matt Simmons, and a few
more. Thank you guys. Larry appreciated your visits very much. And he
greatly appreciated the thoughts, wishes, support and prayers that came
from all of you Army members on a daily basis. Thank you for being part
of his small circle of friends over the years. Yesterday afternoon he
knew he was going to go home to God very soon and he dictated the
following message to you while his friend Allen Fleming typed these
words into Larry's computer:

I feel like a prize in a box of cracker jacks with God's hand reaching
down to pick me up. I have been under medical care for months. My wounds
are getting bigger. I have trouble breathing. I am ready to fly home.

My brother Charles is right, I wont be here much longer. I cant do
anything about it. My heart is too weak. I want to say goodbye to
everyone. In the past you have generously supported me with prayer and
finance and we will probably still need financial help

My plan is to be buried in a simple pine box with some flowers inside.
But still it will be costly because of funeral arrangement,
transportation to the gravesite, entombment, coordination, legal papers
etc. However money is not really what I need, I want to say I love you.

I'd like to push back the darkness with my bravest effort. There will be
a funeral posted here on the website, in case some of you want to
attend. We are not sure of the date when I will die. Goodbye, farewell,
we will meet again.

Goodbye, farewell, we'll meet again
Somewhere beyond the sky.
I pray that you will stay with God
Goodbye, my friends, goodbye.

Larry

Thank you to all of you who were so nice to my brother over the years.
Kristin and I will post funeral information in the next day or two.
Right now we're not able to function very well, but the whole family is
here... our mother Margaret, our sisters Nancy and Kristy, Mike Norman
and his new wife Tiffany, and Silver.

We miss him beyond words. Thank you for everything.

Peace to you all in Christ,

Charles Norman

Link to message on LarryNorman.com

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jyroflux: 02-25-2008 13:43.

02-24-2008 19:25 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Phy Phy is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-494.jpg

Registration Date: 02-22-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've been using Phy, short for Phydeaux, for years--mostly because "The Mighty Grunion" didn't abbreviate well. Thanks to Larry for his part helping to kick off Christian Rock. I still hope we'll all be ready. That's something all of us can get behind.

02-24-2008 19:52 Phy is offline Send an Email to Phy Homepage of Phy Search for Posts by Phy Add Phy to your Buddy List Add Phy to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Phy: MyriadPhy YIM Account Name of Phy: bio_phy View the MSN Profile for Phy
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

What a shock to come home to. Wow.

We all knew it was coming eventually, but I was not expecting it this soon.

We never got to finish our last conversation.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
02-24-2008 20:39 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

I am very sorry to hear about this. Rest well, Larry, and thank you for all you did.
02-24-2008 22:44 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

Goodbye, Farewell

02-24-2008 23:46 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Kind of an Obit. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Larry Norman
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Larry David Norman (April 8, 1947 – February 24, 2008) was an internationally recognized American musician, singer, songwriter and producer. Norman's recordings are noted for their Christian and social subject matter and he is often described as the "father of Christian rock music".[1] Norman has also been described as having had a significant influence on many artists, secular and religious.[2]

Norman has long been associated with what has been referred to as the Jesus People movement of the late 1960's and early 1970's [3], although it has been reported that "he did not particularly identify himself with the youth–oriented 'Jesus movement' of the time".[4][5]

Norman has been recording since 1966 and has recorded numerous albums. Norman's first album, I Love You , recorded when he was the lead singer for the group People!, was released in 1968. The bands cover version of The Zombies song of the same name reached number 7 on Billboard magazines top twenty list in June of that year as a single. Norman left People! prior to 1969 and has since performed as a solo artist, appearing both on mainstream and independent labels.[6]

In 2001 Norman was inducted into the Gospel Music Association's (GMA) Hall of Fame as a solo artist. In 2007 Norman was inducted into the San Jose Rocks Hall of Fame (San Jose, California), both as a member of People!, and as a solo artist. At that time Norman reunited for a concert with People![2]

Due to reasons of ill health, Norman has performed on a very limited basis in recent years.[7]

A documentary outlining his career as a troubled troubadour will be out in 2008.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 02-25-2008 05:58.

02-25-2008 05:57 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Curly Curly is a male
Unsullied Affiche

images/avatars/avatar-293.jpg

Registration Date: 07-25-2007

I will miss you my dear friend.

Let that tape keep rollin.

02-25-2008 06:49 Curly is offline Search for Posts by Curly Add Curly to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Thanks to you we've learned the devil never had any of the good music.

my post elsewhere~

My moms funeral is today at 11:00
I will say prayers for Larryboy- I know we teased about him..but I dont feel bad- he was who he was.
and if he thinks my mom is gonna give him "cuts" in the line..hes in for it!
I loved his music-his radical ideas..and his Love for Jesus. that was really what he was all about- theatrics aside.

Love you Larry- see you next time.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
02-25-2008 07:41 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Lur King Lur King is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-107.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2003

Larry has gone HoMe Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

02-25-2008 10:16 Lur King is offline Send an Email to Lur King Homepage of Lur King Search for Posts by Lur King Add Lur King to your Buddy List
Jerry Davison Jerry Davison is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-30-2005

Wow. I've always just kind of taken it for granted that Larry would always be around... Man, I'll miss that guy... but not for long! 1 Thess. 4:16-18 Smile
02-25-2008 13:54 Jerry Davison is offline Send an Email to Jerry Davison Search for Posts by Jerry Davison Add Jerry Davison to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jerry Davison: Davie Bluff
Commander Cote
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

DaLe
Thanks for posting the Goodbye Farewell vid, really makes ya think...

JiMiNy
Don't worry about your Mom and Larry getting into it, Dave Sjoberg will be there to keep the peace....

Thank God for Larry's music, it got me goin in the right direction, and even though there have been some rough times we're still here singing about Jesus just the same whoaaa yeah!

God Bless
Commander
02-25-2008 14:03 Commander Cote is offline Send an Email to Commander Cote Search for Posts by Commander Cote Add Commander Cote to your Buddy List
Space Ghost
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-228.jpg

Registration Date: 02-07-2003

So long, Larry.

Crying

Makes the color of right

Gravity and distance
Change the passage of light
Gravity and distance
Change the color of right

02-25-2008 14:56 Space Ghost is offline Send an Email to Space Ghost Search for Posts by Space Ghost Add Space Ghost to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

rip larry norman

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
02-25-2008 15:18 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Bittersweet Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

His passing as with all saints is bittersweet.

Many of us have had issues with Larry over the years, but death makes all those things seem almost insignificant, doesn't it?

I think I'll have some questions for Larry when I get there.
Happy

02-25-2008 16:41 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

RE: Bittersweet Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The grace of God is a clarifying thing, I believe. By then, all our grievances will be moot...

And that's a good thing 'cause I'd have an awful lot of explaining to do.
02-25-2008 17:05 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
chrharr chrharr is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 02-04-2008

We will miss Larry and the impact he made upon Christian rock music.

Chris Harris
Olathe, Ks

02-25-2008 18:05 chrharr is offline Homepage of chrharr Search for Posts by chrharr Add chrharr to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of chrharr: chrharr YIM Account Name of chrharr: chrharr@sbcglobal.net View the MSN Profile for chrharr
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

I'm glad Terry, Randy and Larry sorted things out a few years ago. It would have been horrible to have that hanging in the air.

Anyway this is there are at least two Larry songs that have meant a lot to me - here they are...

I Am A Servant

I am a servant, I am listening for my name
I sit here waiting I've been looking at the game
That I've been playing and I've been staying much the same
When you are lonely you're the only one to blame

I am a servant, I am waiting for Your call
I've been unfaithful so I sit here in the hall
How can You use me when I've never given all
How can You choose me when You know I quickly fall

So You feed my soul and you make me whole
And you let me know You love me
And I'm worthless now but I've made a vow
I will humbly bow before You
Oh please use me, I am lonely

I am a servant, getting ready for my part
There's been a change, a rearrangement in my heart
At last I'm learning there's no returning once I start
To live's a privilege, to love is such an art
But I need Your help to start
Oh please purify my heart
I am Your servant

IT'S ONLY TODAY THAT COUNTS

It ain't no good to lay in bed at night
And think about the past
About how you could have done things differently
But it happened way too fast.

Just close your eyes, go to sleep
Let the angels bring you dreams.
Let that pain unwind behind you
And float away, float away on silent streams.

You gotta live your life the best you can
Though you sometimes do your worst.
You gotta laugh when you fail, it's not the end of the world
Life is a play you can't rehearse.

Don't make big plans for tomorrow,
You can't control what lies ahead.
You must try to live each moment
As it comes instead.

There is no use dreaming of a perfect future
Or regretting a troubled past.
It's only today that counts
Live it like it might be your last.

It never helps to worry, it never hurts to pray,
Tomorrow will come soon enough; just pray about today.
And relax, trust your life to God,
The future is in his hand,
Only faith will help you face each day's demands.

Ain't no use worrying, life goes so fast.

02-25-2008 18:42 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Jason & Eric,

What now of this?

Arena Rock Recordings

And speaking of, how much longer for Darn Floor, Big Bite?

02-25-2008 21:14 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

I know Larry's been mentioning that set for quite a while, so it could be that most of the work was already done. Not sure though. I'm sure Charles and Kristin will be able to work out any final details if they want to go forward with it.

On Darn Floor... the bonus material is being created and assembled. I haven't heard a final date so far, but its not really something that should take a long time. Its a lot different than putting the bonus disc together for the first album. I know Tom was heading to see Terry last week to work on one part of it in fact. We mailed off another part about the same time.. so, its coming together.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
02-25-2008 21:36 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » R.I.P. Larry Norman

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH