Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Interesting Conversation... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Interesting Conversation...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Interesting Conversation... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

...with a friend's brother (who was visiting for Thanksgiving).

He said that Terry Taylor has a better sense of irony and can formulate that sense of irony into a song better than any other songwriter he's ever known (and he's more versed in music than probably anyone I've ever met). I thought that was an interesting perception.

We also talked about how Terry's songs often make you think--think on deep things that we probably can never fully understand this side of Glory, think about things from a different perspective, etc. He said that few songwriters even attept that, and even fewer succeed. Yet Terry consistantly has attepted and succeeded at just that. We both agreed that such songwriting is extremely rare, and may, in fact, be unique.

The funny thing is I didn't know my friend's brother was a DA fan. It just kind of came up in conversation. Turns out he has just about everything Terry has ever put out.

11-26-2009 23:34 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I can see the sense of irony, but had not given it much thought.
He is very deft at using irony in his songs, that is for sure.

Mostly I think Terry's songs are filled with great sadness.
The "funny" songs may be the saddest of all.
And note that I did not say "despair."

Something I do think of often.

11-27-2009 01:42 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
UnderDawg UnderDawg is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-624.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Dennis is right. Terry's song have a real sense of sadness. Even a song like "Papa Danced on Olvera Street", which seems like a happy memory song, has a lingering sad feeling. I mention this one, because it's the one I'm learning now.

The others that I play often are "A Vegas Story", "One More Time", "Rocky Mountain Mines", and "Wall of Heaven". All are sad tunes.
11-27-2009 10:15 UnderDawg is offline Search for Posts by UnderDawg Add UnderDawg to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

sad is where we live so it resonates with us

most audiences do not want to admit that, consequently this artist and his audience are closer to unique, and a great minority

Psalm 119:83
11-27-2009 11:52 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

But sad songs are not unique, songwriters who write "mostly" sad songs aren't unique either, I think there's more to it. I think its longing, more than sadness.

11-27-2009 13:43 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Yes there is a longing there as well.
When the sadness is restrained it is more effective than a more straight forward sad song.

I think of "Broken Laders to Glory." Terry mentioned here on the board maybe 6 years ago how he is confused when people laugh at "me in my underwear" when he sings it in concert, because it really is a sad image of this old guy with his wife in her tattered nightgown.

The humanity and the lostness of it.

11-27-2009 18:47 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

follow the profanity filter thread on the 7's board and you know why people laugh... Big Grin "He said poo-poo"

11-27-2009 18:57 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

It's funny how much of Terry's lyrics are banned on the message boards.

"She's nada lucky!"

11-27-2009 19:07 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

Now that is ironic! There, back on track.

11-27-2009 19:22 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Well the glory of God's grace is magnified against the sadness of our falleness. "To show you Heaven, I must first show you Hell."

11-27-2009 20:06 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by Ritchie_az

Darn Floor - Big Bite is irony. A deep, thought-provoking album about what we cannot understand. An animal's inability to communicate gives insight and perspective on the highest thoughts of heaven. The album is somewhat short at just over 36 minutes, yet there are ideas and concepts that may take years to fully chew on.
If I didn't own the album, I'm not sure I would believe it.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ritchie_az: 11-28-2009 00:34.

11-28-2009 00:33 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

I don't knoe if that makes the album ironic or nor, but it helps make it really good!

11-28-2009 04:08 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

I remember a Keaggy interview where they where talking about joy and said the true joy was bases in longing, which may have been some c.s. lewis wrote.
But I can see how sadness and joy are both connected through longing.

Perhaps it that same longing that connects fear to hatred the George Lucas speaks of?

11-28-2009 07:47 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Frown Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"i miss the comfort in being sad..." -kurt cobain

Cool
11-28-2009 10:36 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Frown

11-28-2009 11:51 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
I remember a Keaggy interview where they where talking about joy and said the true joy was bases in longing, which may have been some c.s. lewis wrote.
But I can see how sadness and joy are both connected through longing.

Perhaps it that same longing that connects fear to hatred the George Lucas speaks of?

That is a great contemplative thought... thanks for that!

11-28-2009 14:25 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thanks Ron!

11-28-2009 15:16 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Sadness because you and who you love are apart, joy because you know you will one day be together. That is a longing pretty much in a nutshell isn't it?

11-29-2009 01:03 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Interesting Conversation...

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH