Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Most recent DA-related spins & sides » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Most recent DA-related spins & sides
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Most recent DA-related spins & sides Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

MBD (second collection)
It never seems to wear...

Kalhoun (side 1)
I love everything on this side except the mildly annoying Virgin.

Motorcycle (side 2)
That whole big block, ending with So Long Again, which moves me deeply.

Isn't it interesting we keep coming back to some of these older recordings? (Well, almost everything now has some age to it.)

So what are you spinning, and why do you after all this elapsed time?

07-30-2008 11:15 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
George
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-282.jpg

Registration Date: 10-08-2007

RE: Most recent DA-related spins & sides Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Listening exclusively to Midget-Speck-Molecule lately. Got it around Christmas but have been very very busy and only beginning to digest it. I like the whole thing.

And yeah--I love side 1 of Kalhoun. LOVE the first 2, and then everytime I play it I'm reminded how much I enjoy I Will Return and Tracking the Amorous Man.

MBD Disc 1 for me is sublime. Perfection, Yeah! Love the 2nd disc as well, but I always seem to grab Disc 1. Feels more unified.
07-30-2008 11:32 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

RE: Most recent DA-related spins & sides Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
why do you after all this elapsed time?

I have come to consider time to be an irrelevant criterion. Something is either good, or it not, and it doesn't matter how old or new it is. Not that I'm unaware of certain trends or that I can't tell how old something might be; I just don't care anymore.

So my computer at work has all my DA and Talking Heads CDs loaded up with Media Player set to Shuffle. I find myself frequently using "I Will Return" to start things off.
07-30-2008 11:34 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
George
Dignified Lazar

Now you got me playing MBD Disc 2 for the first time in quite a while and I'm loving it! MBD is so darn good. Grand and sweeping. Feels like a swan song, though. I sure hope I'm wrong.
07-30-2008 11:43 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I enjoy MBD: And So It Goes more than I enjoy disc one. But they are both great and I've been listening to the two of them a lot lately.

07-30-2008 12:01 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Chesterdox Chesterdox is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-467.jpg

Registration Date: 09-20-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Vox Humana in the car stereo.

07-30-2008 12:37 Chesterdox is offline Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Chesterdox
Vox Humana in the car stereo.

That was me a week ago. For the past few days, I've taken a little Gin Blossoms sidetrack.

After hearing a few people comment on Knowledge & Innocence, I may bust that one out tomorrow.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by James: 07-30-2008 18:51.

07-30-2008 18:50 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

I was listening to C2000 earlier this week...
just acquired it.
wish I'd been there!

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-30-2008 19:20 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Think I'll listen to MBD tomorrow.
Maybe "Hats" as well.

Pleased

07-31-2008 04:11 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

You know, after listening to Vox Humana for about the last week, I think this could be my favorite DA album. It's just really a great listen, and very cohesive. I like the upbeat, fun music combined with truly deep subject matter -- and ending with Sanctuary!

07-31-2008 07:37 Chesterdox is offline Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Sanctuary is one of my all-time favorite songs by anyone. Travelog, Live and Let Live and When Worlds Collide are also favorites.

07-31-2008 09:01 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Thread Starter Thread Started by John Foxe
VH: dated but timeless Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My humble opinions on a GREAT recording:

Travelog: great beat & message, a concert fav
It's the 80's: good tune, multi-tracked keys, but one that's hard to sing to in 2008
Home permanent: quasi-title cut, electronic beat, great message
It's Sick: sharp, witty lyrics
William Blake: strange but indescribably attractive, I love this track
Dance Stop: clever double meaning, very cool beat, a concert fav

Live & Let Live: multi-tracked keys, awesome message
When Worlds Collide: one of my favorites, very moving, cool drumming
As the World Turns: great tune & message, makes me laugh (a-slappa-my-face!)
She's All Heart: deep, plodding, moving
Incredible Shrinking Man: quasi-title cut 2, cheesy b&w movie, great message, funny/whimsical music
Sanctuary: one of the all time greatest DA tunes on several levels

07-31-2008 09:50 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Woolly Eggwhisk

It's Sick gets played a-lot. I really can't wait for the re-release.

07-31-2008 11:32 Chesterdox is offline Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List
George
Dignified Lazar

There's a re-release?

I love Vox Humana, by the way--every song on it. I think it would be a kick, though, to hear those songs re-recorded. I suppose I'll pull out my Cornerstone 2000 live cd--there must be a song or two off of VH on that. Or, Ruckus, maybe...
07-31-2008 14:28 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

VH re-release has been out Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The re-release has been on the webstore for a little while...

07-31-2008 17:50 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
George
Dignified Lazar

Thanks! I had no idea. Is it different from the bookset release in terms of sound? Has it been re-mastered or something?
07-31-2008 17:53 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Well... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I don't know about a remastering, but the most important thing is they fixed the split track problem on those cheap-o ones that some guy put out years ago.

07-31-2008 20:14 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
Think I'll listen to MBD tomorrow.
Maybe "Hats" as well.

Pleased

Played the MBD today.

It has been awhile I forget how great it is.

07-31-2008 21:01 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

I can't wait for the remastered re-re-release!

08-01-2008 07:24 Chesterdox is offline Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

RE: I can't wait for the remastered re-re-release! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

On vinyl! Cool

08-01-2008 21:07 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Most recent DA-related spins & sides

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH