Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » from a new DA soon-to-be fan » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page from a new DA soon-to-be fan
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
flanfan
unregistered
from a new DA soon-to-be fan Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey, hey everyone--

I first heard of DA in my friend's copy of CCM last December. It was a review of their Mr. Buechner's Dream. I was curious about the reference to Buechner.

Last week I actually checked out this website and got some clips off MP3.com. I was amazed at how intelligent the music was. (Intelligent isn't really the word) The song Mr. Buechner's Dream is the best example. (FYI, my favorite authors are O'Connor, Lewis, Chesterton, Percy, Sayers and Buechner... wow, that's crazy)

Anyway, as soon as my next paycheck comes in I'm getting Dream. I'm like already a huge fan. Can anyone suggest what I should buy after Buechner's Dream?

---FLANFAN

PS - If anyone has the time, could you explain all these bands and names (Swirling Eddies?) and how its all connected?

09-19-2002 18:11
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Daniel Amos is named after the two books of the Bible. Terry Taylor is the lead singer and mastermind of the band. He is also the leading force behind The Lost Dogs, The Swirling Eddies and of course his solo stuff. As far as the next CD to get I'd recommend Daniel Amos-Our Personal Favorite World Famous Hits and Terry Scott Taylor-Glimpses Of Grace. They are both best of CD's that will give you an insight into the genious of Terry's work. After hearing those CD's as well as Mr. Buchner's Dream you will be able to see how brilliant and versatile Terry is.

09-19-2002 18:19 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by flanfan
Hey, hey everyone--

I first heard of DA in my friend's copy of CCM last December. It was a review of their Mr. Buechner's Dream. I was curious about the reference to Buechner.

Last week I actually checked out this website and got some clips off MP3.com. I was amazed at how intelligent the music was. (Intelligent isn't really the word) The song Mr. Buechner's Dream is the best example. (FYI, my favorite authors are O'Connor, Lewis, Chesterton, Percy, Sayers and Buechner... wow, that's crazy)

Anyway, as soon as my next paycheck comes in I'm getting Dream. I'm like already a huge fan. Can anyone suggest what I should buy after Buechner's Dream?

---FLANFAN

PS - If anyone has the time, could you explain all these bands and names (Swirling Eddies?) and how its all connected?

The music may be intelligent, but this board sure ain't...

Wink
09-19-2002 19:04 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Yeah, don't judge DA by it's fans.

09-19-2002 20:32 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
Daniel Amos is named after the two books of the Bible. Terry Taylor is the lead singer and mastermind of the band. He is also the leading force behind The Lost Dogs, The Swirling Eddies and of course his solo stuff. As far as the next CD to get I'd recommend Daniel Amos-Our Personal Favorite World Famous Hits and Terry Scott Taylor-Glimpses Of Grace. They are both best of CD's that will give you an insight into the genious of Terry's work. After hearing those CD's as well as Mr. Buchner's Dream you will be able to see how brilliant and versatile Terry is.

I would be a little warey of the DA hits disk. While it is good (as is all things TST related - hey I bought the disk of him burping and farting) but...

As nearly every DA cd explores a different style the hits disk seems a little disjointed and jarring at times as the songs styles change.

however the answer is buy all you can - expect things to be intelligent, silly, different and heartfelt - but don't expect each disk to be a clone of any other.
09-19-2002 20:36 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew

however the answer is buy all you can - expect things to be intelligent, silly, different and heartfelt - but don't expect each disk to be a clone of any other.

I agree, you may find a few that are similar to each other, but the real fun is figuring out each album on it's own.

BD

and I'll add that even the first disc on MBD is very different from the second disc.

09-19-2002 21:19 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
jc
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

for a flanfan Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have to agree
that a compilation disc
will give you a glimse not only of grace
but of the "variations " of Uncle T.
Listen to a song- pause
digest
move on
Even the best of the LD is a bit jarring
Its a big TST world out here..........
dont be scared!
JiMInY Cricket
(the "real boy"s conscience)
09-20-2002 10:33 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
web
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 04-23-2002

a little more about the bands Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The best way to get some background would be to spend some time in the "Timeline" section of the site. However, it's very lengthy, so a little summary.

Swirling Eddies is essentially DA plus a few friends. In general it represents the goofier (but still intelligent) side of the music, although Zoom Daddy is relatively serious.

Lost Dogs was formed by the lead singers of four of the classic West Coast alt. groups: Terry from DA, Gene Eugene from Adam Again, Mike Roe from 77's, and Derri Daugherty from The Choir. Gene has since graduated (i.e. passed away). LD has a much more alternative country/americana sound than any of the other groups.

As for DA itself, well remember we're talking about a band that had the Beatles and Beach Boys as major influences, started as a country rock band, and that in the early 80's tried to retool into more of a new wave sound. So expect any and all influences to be heard on any given album.
09-20-2002 10:54 web is offline Send an Email to web Search for Posts by web Add web to your Buddy List
jc
Luteous Llama

interesting- the Alarmacar Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I am currently spinning
Candy-o (Cars)
and I gotta tell ya
the Alarma sound is vvveerrrryy
similar.
(not a bad comment at all.....Xtremely cool!)
Try it sometime- its amazing!
JiMINy
09-20-2002 11:01 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Lemme try.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"I am currently spinning
Candy-o (Cars)
and I gotta tell ya
the Alarma sound is vvveerrrryy
similar.
(not a bad comment at all.....Xtremely cool!)
Try it sometime- its amazing!"

I guess a new car is JUSTWHATI NEED-ED.... no, wait.... Dance stop all night, play all day.... uh-uh.... I'm in touch with my room.... eewwww.... OK, I give up...

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
09-20-2002 11:17 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

I like the Cars.....

but I'm listening to Alarma.....

central theme

Jesus in the center

09-20-2002 11:26 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
jc
Luteous Llama

alarma alone............ Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

is a stellar record
and its TRULY only the tip of the iceberg.
I have been a TST affectionato for over 25 years (Shotgun A)
and I STILL do not have all his stuff (I lapsed)
JiMiny
09-20-2002 12:53 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

It's hard to believe it's been that long....

My first was Vox Humana in 1984 (almost 20 years)

It's still one of my favorite albums

Fearful Symmetry really go me though

I love that CD

There are no holes in my Terry collection (I guess I'm missing one or two reissues on a different label that didn't add anything to the original reissue - or original issue in a few cases)

09-20-2002 13:08 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

I finally caught up about 6 months ago.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

....except now, of course there's all this new stuff I can't afford, including that one-month-window deal that came & went.... I may not even see the Dogs next month, and God knows when they might be on the East Coast again.... Crying Crying Crying

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
09-20-2002 13:22 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
MartyB
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 09-13-2002

quote:
Originally posted by flanfan
Hey, hey everyone--

Flanfan - it sounds like you've got similar literary tastes as TST, so I suspect you would like a lot of his lyrics. He borrows some great ideas from many great writers. In fact someone on the Daniel Amos Discussion List had a website that tied many of the lyrical references to their sources. I don't recall the website oof-hand but if i find it I'll post it.

As for what to buy next, I hate to tell you but my main recommendations aren't currently in print (_Darn Floor, Big Bite_, _Motorcycle_ [which is also very Beuchner influenced BTW], _Fearful Symetry_ [Terry also likes William Blake and quotes him a few times as well as named a song after him on _Vox Humana_). These are all great lyrically and vary from avant-rock (_DFBB_, _FS_) to Beatley (_Motorcyle_) to synth based (_Vox Humana_).

In print titles I recommend for a newbie are Terry's solo _Avacado Faultline_ (folkish rock) or _John Wayne_ (rock), Swirling Eddies _Best of.._ or _Zoom Daddy_ or DA's _Personal Favorite World Famous Hits_ or maybe even the Live at Connerstone disc.

It's all good!

Have fun discovering some great music and lyrics.

MartyB
09-20-2002 14:35 MartyB is offline Send an Email to MartyB Search for Posts by MartyB Add MartyB to your Buddy List
flanfan
unregistered

Hey, hey everyone---

Thanks for all your replies. I got my paycheck (yipee!) so I just ordered Dream this afternoon. Anyone know how long it takes to get a CD after ordering of the DA website?

Okay, new question. Of DA, Eddies, and Lost Dogs,... who's the best? Or is it too hard because they all have the same lead singer?

--<purity of heart is to will One Thing>--

-flanfan
09-22-2002 14:35
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

That's easy, Lost Dogs are the Best!!!

BD

09-22-2002 15:11 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

That's easy, Daniel Amos is the Best!!!

BD

09-22-2002 15:11 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

That's easy, Swirling Eddies are the Best!!!

BD

09-22-2002 15:12 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

I'd have to say that either DA or Terry's solo stuff is the best as far as deep lyrics.

09-22-2002 15:15 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » from a new DA soon-to-be fan

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH