Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » chandler » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page chandler
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

chandler Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i jumped out of bed early this morning to get the news, but there is no news. are the dogs still doing encores some 13 hours later. For the sake of those in attendance, i hope that's the case. Did Terry take the whole crowd out for an extended breakfast? Anybody remember how he used to order pizza for all?
09-21-2002 11:09 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

mmmm....pizza.

09-21-2002 12:16 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
MartyB
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 09-13-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Tim Chandler is the greatest bass player of ALL TIME!!!!

Um..., I mean... uh oh yeah ...but he wasn't playing with the Lost Dogs last night in Chandler, AZ.

I posted a mesage to the DADL and Lost Dogs lists last night but fergot about you loser... Uh, I mean.. you fans.

Here's what I posted:

"ust got back from the concert.

Quick rundown. The show started right around 7:30 with Theo opening. Derri
came on and did solo set, Mike joined him for one song, Mike did a solo set
w/ Derri joining him on one song, then Derri and Mike backed up Terry for a
solo set. They took a 20 minute break or so and then came back out for the
lost Dogs set and didn't finish until 11:30 PM. Total about 3 1/2 hours of
music.

The new discs (_Green Room Serenade Part Tour_ & Derri's _Unfinished Songs_)
weren't there yet - well Derri's arrived this afternoon with the wrong song
order so they weren't selling them, but I sucked up to D and he told
Michelle to sell me one anyway - hehe. Someone wanna volunteer to buy me
copies of these discs at a future show on this tour and I'll pay you back?

Theo was great, there were laughs all around (usually at Derri's expense), I
got to meet a lot of folks - one guy lives just a few blocks from me - and
finally broke down and bot _S&P_ on DVD, even though I've only watched the
VHS once it was so excruciating.

I guess that's all for now as I am gonna go to bed. It's 1 AM and I'm an old
man!

Oh yeah - one other thing. I asked Terry about the Walter de la Mere book
and he fessed up that it was indeed an inspiration for some of the 80's
material. Thanks to Fred Sanders for his sleuthing. (Where oh where has our
little Fred gone?)

That's it.

MartyB"

Do i ahve anything to add this morning? Uh no, not really. But youse guys who are in the vinivity of future shows are in for a treat!

BTW, each one of the guys in their solo set reached back into their catalog for a early song. Terry did "Ain't Gonna Fight It", Derri did "Wide Eyed Wonder" and Mike did "The Lust, The Flesh....".

Big Dork was filming so it looks like there's gonna be some great video of the show too!

MArtyB
09-21-2002 13:07 MartyB is offline Send an Email to MartyB Search for Posts by MartyB Add MartyB to your Buddy List
iota
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

I was there last night but seeing that I had a mild flu and after bumming around phoenix all day soaking in the sun and getting heat stroke, I could only really sit there with a silly little grin and take in the show. I was drained. If I had been a little more well rested I would've done a lot more socializing. I brought a friend who knew nothing of the Dogs. She reallly enjoyed it and as I predicted to her before the show, Mike's playing made her jaw drop quite a few times.

(Was I the only one who accidently walked in on the somber meeting of orthodox jews in the next conference room over, before finding the right one? Oops.)

Theo opened. He played about 4 songs I think. Very heartfelt story and provocative songs.

Derri actually played first, previewing some new stuff and going back to Wide Eyed Wonder and I'll Wait For You To Come Around. The new stuff sounds like it'll be worth buying (ahem) whenever the disc is released.

Then Roe took the stage with Blue Sky, The Itch Is Back, Why Does The Sun Shine Down On Me and The Lust, The Flesh...

Terry did mostly songs from Avocado Faultline and Molly from Little Big. No new material from Big as was promised. Grrrrr!

After a 15 minute break that seemed like an eternity, Terry went from baseball cap to cowboy hat which symbolized that the Dogs were on. During the course of the show they exhausted Gift Horse and the usual from Real Men Cry as well as a rousing "camped up" rendition of Green Room Serenade. The audience was rolling. Another moment of unexpected hilarity came when Mike began Happy Trails and was joined by Terry and Derri until he came to a part where a high note was required. They left him hanging and the song ended abruptly, with Mike chiding his bandmates for leaving him out on a limb like that. They played a few new one..."Moses in the Desert", "Come Down Here" and "Deeper In The Heart", all of which are excellent and catchy as hell. After that, me and my friend left since we had a good 3 1/2 hour ride back to Show Low and we were already fighting off sleep. So there could have been some encores but I wouldn't know...anyone?
09-21-2002 13:17 iota is offline Send an Email to iota Search for Posts by iota Add iota to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Thanks for the report.

09-21-2002 14:37 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I was too tired after the show to get on my computer....

If you are anywhere close to a Dogs show for this tour DON'T MISS IT!!!!

This may be long but here goes....

Concert Highlights and Set List

During the sound check Derri started singing _Ain't Gonna Fight It_ and then Terry joined in. Then during the Dogs set, Terry had Mike and Derri back him up singing it again even though they had not planned on playing it.

There were a lot of firsts last night...

Theo started the show with a Andy's Angels' Video.

I'm not sure of the titles of Theo's songs, hopefully he can list them.
He did sing several including _Andrie_

Derri's set included songs from his new CD, I also snagged a copy Smile

"I'm not used to being up here by myself, it's been a long time."

"Well here's a couple of songs that have been floating around from me for a long time. I finally get the opportunity to play them. Hopefully I won't forget the lyrics"

(The track list on Derri's CD is wrong so I just guessing at some of the titles)

Daydream (my favorite so far off the new CD)

Wide Eyed Wonder (a nice surprise, this was the first Choir song I heard way back when)

"You have a really hot city"

Bleeding (new)

Memories (new)

"...They used to be famous, now they're just a couple of old guys walking around."

Waiting For You To Come Around (Derri backed up by Mike, Derri and Gene are credited for this song on the lyrics page)

Mike's set

Blue Sky

The Itch is Back - "I don't think I've played this publicly"

Sunshine Down - "...this has got the dumbest lyrics"

Lutheran Hymn

The Lust.... - "This is a song I wrote when I was way younger. I was hoping it wouldn't be true by this point, and it's truer now than when I wrote it.... They say the closer to God you get, the more aware of your sin you are. Terry's laughing at that joke... He understands it theologically." (Derri joined Mike on this one)

Mike and Derri stayed for Terry's set

"This is the kick off, so you get all the big mistakes Mike's gonna make" - Terry

Starting Monday - "I'd say this song is about all three of us" - Mike

Papa Danced On Olvera Street

Derri doesn't want to play the next song so he just gets up and leaves...
"I don't remember this" - Derri
"This is easy" - Terry
"It's Weird" - Derri
"It's not weird" - Terry
"Like I say, the most professional show" - Mike

Molly is a Metaphor

"Derri, come on up here... let's sing Ain't Gonna Fight It" - Terry
"Wait a minute, that's not in the set" - Mike
"Aw you know how it goes" - Terry
"Where's Derri? .... We got to do this song, it's the first song that Daniel Amos ever recorded. .... And of course, this influenced Derri to no end. He went out and formed The Choir, you know that alt swirly music that they play..." - Terry
"That's right" - Derri laughing

Ain't Gonna Fight It

If You Want To

"The product table is open, I suggest you go there...." - Terry

There was about a 20 min break here

Terry put on his black hat for the Dogs set. The make mine the loudest jokes were said. "Well we're gonna take you through all the hits" - Terry

Wild Ride

A Certain Love

A Vegas Story

Mike tells the story about the next song and his Uncle.
Wall Of Heaven

"Mike Roe ladies and gentlemen" - Terry
"Terry Taylor" - Mike
"Derri Daugherty" - Terry

If You Loved Here, You'd Be Home By Now

Moses In The Desert (new)

The Distance

" The following is another Terry Taylor masterpiece if I do say so myself... It's a song we haven't done before, I don't think so." - Mike

"nope" - Terry

"There's allot of firsts tonight... professionalism, no. New songs, yes." - Mike

Honeysuckle Breeze

"This is a song that Gene Eugene sang...We love the song so we want to do it" - Terry

Rebecca Go Home (Mike sang lead)

If It Be Your Will

Mike doesn't want to sing the next song so they skip it. "We'll do that one tomorrow." - Mike

Three Legged Dog

"How many here know the song Green Room Serenade? A few of you." - Terry
"They don't care" - Mike
"I don't wanna do it" - Derri
"No, let's do it ... we're gonna take a chance" - Terry
"don't wanna do it" - Derri
"Yep you're gonna do it" -Terry
"You can redeem you soul" -Mike
"I sound like a girl" - Derri
"You sound like a girl anyway" - Mike
"We want you to sound like a girl" - Terry
"I don't wanna do it" - Derri
"This is a song a beautiful song that lovely Derri is gonna sing for you now..." - Terry
"lovely Derri...now you've got a new nick name" - Mike laughing
"Lovely Derri meter maid..." - Terry
"We're gonna screw this one up man" - Derri

and they do screw it up Smile

The Green Room Serenade - "That's it I quit the band" - Derri

Come Down Here (new and it's on the Cheapskates #3)

The Great Divide

Real Men Cry

??? (new)

Golden Dreams

Happy Trails (sort of)

Deeper In The Heart (new sing along song)

"Terry Taylor on the vocal - Mike Roe - Derri Daugherty"

encore

Bad Indigestion

Why Is The Devil Red

Breathe Deep

Joel

38 songs!
plus Theo's set.

Not too bad for the first gig of a new tour. Smile

BD

09-21-2002 14:59 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Michelle
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 03-16-2002

Well, I'm just now back from seeing the Dogs off at the airport. I've had about three hours sleep, and I don't know which feeling is stronger -- relief that this whirlwind is over or sadness that it couldn't have lasted longer! Last night was such a blur that I could hardly tell you what anyone sang -- I just remember that it was A LOT of music. I guess I'll have to watch BigDork's video to see what happened! Someone asked about the encore (I do remember that for some reason): it was Why is the Devil Red, Bad Indigestion, Breathe Deep, and Joel. I found myself choking up when Terry got everyone singing Joel and then slowly lifted his hand toward heaven and simply worshiped, right there in front of God and everybody.

It was a great joy to meet Theo in person. So kind and down to earth. His video about Andrew was wonderful, and his set was lovingly rendered.

I enjoyed meeting a few more damb people, even if they did harass me about Derri's EP!Evil I just take orders from the Boss Men, folks. I was more than happy to sell it once Derri said okay. And to that strapping, manly damber that I called "Ma'am," you know I was joking, right?Big Grin

So, to all you who couldn't join us, I'm sorry you missed out. To those of you who have a chance to see a show this tour, DON'T MISS IT!

Now, I'm going to get some sleep!Red Face
09-21-2002 15:30 Michelle is offline Send an Email to Michelle Search for Posts by Michelle Add Michelle to your Buddy List
MartyB
Esculent Eskimo

quote:
Originally posted by Michelle
I enjoyed meeting a few more damb people, even if they did harass me about Derri's EP!Evil I just take orders from the Boss Men, folks. I was more than happy to sell it once Derri said okay.

Eekk! I think that face was meant for me since I kept asking if you would sell me the CD. Sorry about that! Um, I was just practicing my negotiating skills... guess I need more practice. :-)

It as great meeting you Michelle. I never did formally meet your husband (what's his name?), but I truly appreciate all the work you did in setting this up. I love Terry and the boyz and would be happy to help out any way I can next time you do this. And not just for backstage access or first picking of the mechandise table. ;-) I'm cereals...

MartyB
09-21-2002 16:09 MartyB is offline Send an Email to MartyB Search for Posts by MartyB Add MartyB to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

It sounds like you had a great time.

09-21-2002 16:13 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by BigDork

Come Down Here
??? (new)

The first one's called "Like Moses".

Give me some chorus lyrics for "???" and "Deeper in the heart" and I'll tell you the actual titles.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
09-21-2002 16:58 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Michelle
Esculent Eskimo

quote:
Originally posted by MartyB

Eekk! I think that face was meant for me since I kept asking if you would sell me the CD. Sorry about that! Um, I was just practicing my negotiating skills... guess I need more practice. :-)

No offense taken, and you weren't the only one. Problem was, I had already sold three of Derri's CD's before he pulled them. So since some people had one, but I wouldn't sell to anyone else, it looked like I was playing favorites.

It as great meeting you Michelle. I never did formally meet your husband (what's his name?),

Funny, that's what I call him, too (what's-his-name). Big Grin Actually, his name is Ken, and you all should give him a huge thank you. I never would have attempted this without his help, and he did a TON of work. He's a wonderful man! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

but I truly appreciate all the work you did in setting this up. I love Terry and the boyz and would be happy to help out any way I can next time you do this. And not just for backstage access or first picking of the mechandise table. ;-)

Hey, that's why I do it!! Shocked

I'm cereals...

I'm cheesy...

MartyB

Michelle
09-21-2002 17:36 Michelle is offline Send an Email to Michelle Search for Posts by Michelle Add Michelle to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thread Starter Thread Started by baxter

thanks for all the details. i love all of the between song dog banter.
i'm hoping to see the last show in Eugene. its not a coincidence that the tour started in chandler and ends in Eugene is it?
what is that De la Mare book, a collection of his poetry or something else?
09-21-2002 19:42 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
quote:

Come Down Here
??? (new)

The first one's called "Like Moses".

Give me some chorus lyrics for "???" and "Deeper in the heart" and I'll tell you the actual titles.

I was going off what the Dogs called the tunes...Roll Eyes

I'll check some of the lyrics and get back to you.

Thanks

BD

09-21-2002 21:54 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by iota

(Was I the only one who accidently walked in on the somber meeting of orthodox jews in the next conference room over, before finding the right one? Oops.)

I almost walked in there once Big Grin

09-21-2002 21:56 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

quote:

I was going off what the Dogs called the tunes...Roll Eyes

I'll check some of the lyrics and get back to you.

Hmm, ok. Thanks - I was going to make a set list page for the site.

It's possible that the list of titles I have is wrong, actually... what I have is the rough artwork for the album - it's possible that titles were changed.

BTW- If anyone takes photos or writes reviews of these Dogs shows - send them to us asap. We'd like to be able to update the main page as frequently as possible with tour updates... some fan quotes and photos would be a nice touch.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
09-21-2002 23:45 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
MartyB
Esculent Eskimo

WalterdDe la Mere Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by baxter
what is that De la Mare book, a collection of his poetry or something else?

Yes it is a collection of poetry, edited by de la Mere, titled _Behold This Dreamer_. Fred Sanders on the DADL discovered this book and found tons of poems that were obvious references for Terry's lyrics on _Fearful Symetry_ and IIRC _Darn Floor Big Bite_. There's several posts on this in the DADL archives on Yahoo. Fascinating stuff!

MArtyB
09-22-2002 01:55 MartyB is offline Send an Email to MartyB Search for Posts by MartyB Add MartyB to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thread Starter Thread Started by baxter

thanks! i'll look for the book when we get back from Big Sur.
09-22-2002 09:14 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Michelle
Esculent Eskimo

quote:
BTW- If anyone takes photos or writes reviews of these Dogs shows - send them to us asap. We'd like to be able to update the main page as frequently as possible with tour updates... some fan quotes and photos would be a nice touch.

BD already has some stuff up at BigDork.org (review, photos, mp3's). Maybe he can send you some stuff.
09-22-2002 10:24 Michelle is offline Send an Email to Michelle Search for Posts by Michelle Add Michelle to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by Michelle
quote:

BD already has some stuff up at BigDork.org (review, photos, mp3's). Maybe he can send you some stuff.

A few, not a lot yet.

If I have some time today I'll put up more.

Terry looks to be growing his hair out again just incase anyone is interested. Tongue

09-22-2002 11:10 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by iota
I was there last night but seeing that I had a mild flu and after bumming around phoenix all day soaking in the sun and getting heat stroke, I could only really sit there with a silly little grin and take in the show. I was drained.

Hope you're feeling better now.

Sorry to have missed you. I was hoping to say hi. So Hi Pleased

BD

09-22-2002 11:19 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » chandler

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH