Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Secular Deal » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Secular Deal
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Secular Deal Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Has Uncle Terry ever come close to having a "secular" deal with a recording company (I hate using such terms). I was reading the Audiori's post below about some demos that were made to shop to the secular market, and I am just curious if it ever has come close. As I listened to "Pretend I'm Elvis" the other night I thought, "This beats most all country that is on the charts now." Anyone know?
LK-9

10-22-2002 23:11 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The songs on the last Avocado club disc were originally
BMG demos. There was a time in around '78 that some labels
were interested.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
10-23-2002 00:21 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-236.gif

Location: Silicon Valley: prime real estate for a terrorist dirty bomb hit

OoooOooo! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Shocked

--Peter Jackson quoting J. R. R. Tolkien
10-23-2002 00:28 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
The songs on the last Avocado club disc were originally
BMG demos. There was a time in around '78 that some labels
were interested.

That does not surprise me! Pleased

Was Kalhoun to be on Epic Records? I thought I heard that on the dadl and it "fell through."

10-24-2002 16:53 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

We'd like to know.

10-24-2002 20:55 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
We'd like to know.

Yes!

Tell us more!

10-30-2002 16:42 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Of all the albums to try and push to the general market, Kalhoun is probably the weakest - aside from the first two spectacular songs the rest has never grabbed my attention.

(argument starter coming up)

The only album I've had a harder time liking is Zoom Daddy. What the hell was that crap?

10-30-2002 17:03 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
wes carlin
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 10-28-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Jevon the Tall
What the hell was that crap?

one of the greatest albums of all time.

and, what is it with you and crap? Big Grin

wait, i probably don't want to know...
10-30-2002 17:33 wes carlin is offline Send an Email to wes carlin Search for Posts by wes carlin Add wes carlin to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I liked that album.

10-30-2002 18:54 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

quote:
Of all the albums to try and push to the general market, Kalhoun is probably the weakest - aside from the first two spectacular songs the rest has never grabbed my attention.

(argument starter coming up)

The only album I've had a harder time liking is Zoom Daddy. What the hell was that crap?

sorry Jevon, butt I like both Kalhoun and ZD (DA and SA too for that matter)

BD

10-30-2002 18:56 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Actually, Kalhoun is probably the strongest - because it would fit in.

10-31-2002 01:21 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Zoom Daddy, zoom zoom daddy daddy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Waaaa? This recording has some of the best lyrics Terry ever wrote! And I love Tim's bass work on this one.

10-31-2002 08:24 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Yes Brainstorm Artists International (BAI)
almost had a distribution deal with Epic
but it did fall through somehow. If I remember
correctly a couple of BAI CDs were distributed
to mainstream market but before Kalhoun was it
fell through.

In 1978, there were some labels interested in DA.
They almost signed with Curb Warner, and they recorded
20 demos to shop to the mainstream.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
10-31-2002 08:40 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:

It's no "Outdoor Elvis" that's for damb sure! Big Grin

10-31-2002 12:39 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Yo Jevon.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"The only album I've had a harder time liking is Zoom Daddy. What the hell was that crap?"

The best album created on this side of heaven. Give it another go.

And to repeat my refutation to Dennis: Outdoor Elvis is most certainly the fulfilment of everything TST was capable of; but Zoom Daddy goes beyond that. Tongue

And BTW, I've always wondered: Should I pronounce that JEV-on or Je-VON?

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
10-31-2002 12:57 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Ubique Epoque

heh heh heh.

Zoom Daddy is a sore spot for some!

10-31-2002 13:00 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Well, you know what they say.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"under a spell / feeling like hell...."

10-31-2002 13:03 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
jc
Luteous Llama

did'nt I read... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

that DFBB was the "foray"
into the mainstream market when they were with Frontline?
That rings a dim bell.
JimiNy
10-31-2002 13:15 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Heh heh heh.

I have given Zoom Daddy numerous attempts. Many many many. I appreciate it for what it is. True, Terry has done wonders with the pen - we all know he's a gifted writer. But if someone put War and Peace to music I didn't like, I still wouldn't like it.

Now, here's the last laugh for Terry and all the boys. I've bought it all - almost all of it sight unheard. The webstore has been a drain on my visa for sure. Andrew's in the same boat as I believe his exchange rate is even worse than that of Canada.

Still when it comes to a good hit / miss ratio if Terry were a baseball player he'd be in the hall of fame for sure.

Jevon. (Jeh-ven, like a slice of heaven with a J.)

Now let's trash SOTH, what was wrong with Terry's voice on that one. It's awful (grin).

10-31-2002 13:55 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Wait a minute.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"I have given Zoom Daddy numerous attempts. Many many many. I appreciate it for what it is. True, Terry has done wonders with the pen - we all know he's a gifted writer. But if someone put War and Peace to music I didn't like, I still wouldn't like it."

Are you saying Tim Chandler sucks? 'Cause he OWNS this baby! Tongue

Seriously, I love the music -- totally "what the #@&%$ is going ON here?" Goes with the whole otherworldliness-that's-stil-this-worldliness of the lyrics.... It's one of the few DA albums where you can't laundry-list the obvious influences.... so you get influenced instead....

10-31-2002 14:09 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Secular Deal

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH