Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Fess up » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Fess up
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Shemp
unregistered
Fess up Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Baby
Okay, time to tell when it all began...

When did you first discover DA, SE, TST, or LD?
Include first impressions, which band, live or recorded, etc.

Me, 1979, Shotgun Angel - Wow, who are these guys... Kinda Beatlesque, kinda country, kinda can't put em in a box.

Committed for life after Alarma
05-02-2002 05:08
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I told this before, but... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It was that two+ week period when both HD and Alarma were released. (Back in the days of vinyl, 8-track and cassette.)

05-02-2002 07:37 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

It's the 80's, so..... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

OK, I was only 11 yrs old when HD and Alarma came out, but at 15 I happened to stroll into one of them there Christian book stores. I had thought that all Christian music sucked, but I had discovered that summer that only most of it did... Wink At a summer camp, a counselor had played 2 tapes- Undercover- God Rules and Resurrection Band- DMZ. Not bad, but still not as good as their secular counterparts (U/C'S later albums were...) So I stroll into a Christian bookstore looking for these tapes and I notice a poster of these guys that look pretty trippy. I read some of the lyrics "my hair points to the sky, the place I wanna be." Hey that's pretty cool. Then I listen to it, and buy it right then and there. Best 8 bucks I've ever spent! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

05-02-2002 08:43 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

hey joey tee! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

another double L

Big Grin

05-02-2002 08:46 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think I've already said this here before, but what the heck: The first time I heard DA was about 3.5 years ago, when I bought a various artists collection that had "Darn Floor" on it. My first impression of that song was that it was great, but when I bought a full DA album (OPFWFH), I didn't like it at first. But it grew on me. And grew, and grew, and grew...
05-02-2002 09:02 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

I've definitely said it before.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

....and in fact, I'm cutting-and-pasting from last time....

I'm a late bloomer. Got Personal World Famous yada yada, Berry Vest & John Wayne simultaneously. PWFyy didn't hit me, at least continuously (the Horrendous Disk did & still does put me to sleep), JW was very good, and Berry Vest.... floored me. Figured it was worth the next step, so got Songs of the Heart. Took awhile to latch onto, but one well-placed cup of coffee & "The Organ Bar" changed all that.... went whole hog & sprung for the Alarma Chronicles & haven't looked back.... so, 3 three years later, all I'm missing from the TST/DA/SE/LD axis is Scenic Routes. Even so, put it out soon, DA Boys....

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
05-02-2002 09:05 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Scrimshaw Nick Scrimshaw Nick is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-387.jpg

Location: "Bad news, Mom. I promised my soul to the devil this afternoon." "Oh? That recently?" ~ Calvin and Hobbes

The best thing to happen in a math class Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was 14 or 15 and in tenth grade Algebra 2 when Dan Dacey came into the class with his walkman. "Whatcha listen' to?"
Our mutual mentor gave him copies of Vox Humana and Fearful Symmetry. I was hooked from the start.

Somebody cured my political apathy but I'm not allowed to say who it is in a signature on the Message Boards
05-02-2002 11:02 Scrimshaw Nick is offline Send an Email to Scrimshaw Nick Search for Posts by Scrimshaw Nick Add Scrimshaw Nick to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Scrimshaw Nick: piratescrimshaw
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

dfbb was my first.

swirling eddies 2nd

then FS and later on VH

etc...

05-02-2002 16:25 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

Daja View - I've seen this thread before Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

For me it was 1990 and I got FS on cassette the tape cover caught my eye and I listened in. Hooked ever since.

DFBB the next week

VH three months later

OE a year later and then the ballreally started rolling when Motorcycle came out and I also got a mail order music catalogue from the US.

05-02-2002 17:58 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
For me it was 1990 and I got FS on cassette the tape cover caught my eye and I listened in. Hooked ever since.

DFBB the next week

VH three months later

OE a year later and then the ballreally started rolling when Motorcycle came out and I also got a mail order music catalogue from the US.

funny how this comes up so often?

05-02-2002 18:10 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Uncle Ralph
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-608.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2002
Location: "I intend to live forever - so far, so good." Steven Wright

I heard DA before TST did!

That's how cool I am... okay... I lie Wink

05-02-2002 18:24 Uncle Ralph is offline Send an Email to Uncle Ralph Search for Posts by Uncle Ralph Add Uncle Ralph to your Buddy List
Jim Muglia
unregistered
intro to Taylor Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Greetings,

One day for me, I was so bored, I decided that anybody who would put the Akendorfs on their album cover (Songs of the Heart) must be a pretty intesting band. Plus, love songs were so few from christians, i was thingking maybe I could actually find acouple good ones on an album with a title like that. At first I thought the album was awful; it seemed so grungy and Taylor's vocals were so strange to me. Then I lent it to a buddy who said he was a fan of DA way way back in the early 80s, and he was totally blown away by the songs "When Everyone Wore Hats". I said "huh" and then listened to the songas again, and said "good golly, he's right; this is a great song, and a great band as well."

To paraphrase Mac Davis:
And I been hooked on DA, hooked on DA from that moment on, hey hey hey.

Take care,
Jim
05-02-2002 18:28
Uncle Ralph
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-608.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2002
Location: "I intend to live forever - so far, so good." Steven Wright

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Muglia
Greetings,

One day for me, I was so bored, I decided that anybody who would put the Akendorfs on their album cover (Songs of the Heart) must be a pretty intesting band. Plus, love songs were so few from christians, i was thingking maybe I could actually find acouple good ones on an album with a title like that. At first I thought the album was awful; it seemed so grungy and Taylor's vocals were so strange to me. Then I lent it to a buddy who said he was a fan of DA way way back in the early 80s, and he was totally blown away by the songs "When Everyone Wore Hats". I said "huh" and then listened to the songas again, and said "good golly, he's right; this is a great song, and a great band as well."

To paraphrase Mac Davis:
And I been hooked on DA, hooked on DA from that moment on, hey hey hey.

Take care,
Jim

good golly I love Mac Davis!

05-02-2002 18:30 Uncle Ralph is offline Send an Email to Uncle Ralph Search for Posts by Uncle Ralph Add Uncle Ralph to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

I've been a DA fan forever, I actually helped Terry write his first song. Yeah, those were the days.....

I wasn't able to help much on the first Album, but I did throw in some suggestions during SA. I made the crunching noises in the song Meal. We parted ways after that, I wanted to get away from the Country sound...little did I know that Terry was going in the same direction.

When HD and Alarma came out I knew I had to hook up with the guys again. We made several demos, but never got them on a record.

I hung around during the Doppelganger recording sessions. Terry once said that Autographs For the Sick was about me. He's such a kidder. I was the model for the Maniquin on the cover. Again it was my idea to use the light shining through the blinds.

I had a little run in with Ed, so for the next several years I stayed away from the guys. I don't want to talk about it. I'd see them from time to time one the street and say hi. But it wasn't like the old days.

And then last year, out of the blue, Ed called me. He said that Terry was worried about the upcoming album. He was really scared. I told him I would drop what I was doing (if only I'd stayed a little while longer with Steve and Derri, I know Flap Your Wings would have won the Grammy!) and get over to Terry's place.

When the door opened, Terry couldn't believe I was there. He said he was all washed up as a writer, and began to cry. I held for a moment, and then told him.........well it was a very personal moment, I don't think I should share it. Terry may write about it some day. I'm sure he will, in a song or something. Anyway, what I said must of really gotten to him. He sat right down and started writing. That man just couldn't stop (kind of like me right now). He was a writing machine! As a result, 30+ songs for the new DA album.

I can't wait to see what we come up with next!

BD

ok, so I made some of this up................ok, all of it..........but it's way more interesting than the truth. ''The fist DA I heard was my sister's copy of Daniel Amos. I've been a fan ever since and I have all her DA albums now!'' boring

05-02-2002 19:06 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Shemp
unregistered

Kool stuff ya'll... man do I feel old. Is there anyone out there that knew of the band(s) way back when?
05-02-2002 20:25
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Pleased to meet you.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

....hope you guessed my name.... and when're you coming to Dallas?

"I actually helped Terry write his first song. Yeah, those were the days..... I made the crunching noises in the song Meal....Terry once said that Autographs For the Sick was about me. He's such a kidder. I was the model for the Maniquin on the cover.....I held for a moment, and then told him.........well it was a very personal moment, I don't think I should share it. Terry may write about it some day. I'm sure he will, in a song or something. Anyway, what I said must of really gotten to him. He sat right down and started writing. That man just couldn't stop (kind of like me right now). He was a writing machine! As a result, 30+ songs for the new DA album.

"I can't wait to see what we come up with next! "

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
05-03-2002 08:53 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Matt K Matt K is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 05-03-2002

how it started Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hello, this is my first post here, and I decided I would start out by telling everyone how I discovered Terry's stuff.. it's a long story, so hang on everyone!!

About 4 years ago I was given a 7-ball CD sampler
that had the song Mr Flutter. I thought it was a pretty
good song. Shortly after I bought Surfonic Water Revival. I had no idea this Terry Taylor guy produced and wrote the album, I just enjoyed surf music and thought it would be
a cool addition to my CD collection. I thought it was a pretty cool album. Jump ahead to last summer where my guitar
teacher let me borrow an old Maranatha compilation
CD of his called God Loves Country Music. On this disc
were the songs Shotgun Angel and Happily Married
Man. He then let me borrow his best of the lost dogs CD.
Shortly after I bought MBD, followed by the lost dog's Real
Men Cry, then I got HD followed by Personal favorite worldwide hits.... and basicly i've been hooked since!
05-03-2002 21:37 Matt K is offline Send an Email to Matt K Homepage of Matt K Search for Posts by Matt K Add Matt K to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Matt K: xxthundrrblt67xx YIM Account Name of Matt K: scrapbrain_409
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by Matt K
Hello, this is my first post here,

WELCOME MATT Wink

We'll save you a PLACE MATT, so you can join in on the fun.
BD

05-04-2002 12:24 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Welcome Matt! This is a safe, but insane, place. Come and visit us again.
LK-9

05-04-2002 12:47 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by BigDork
quote:
Originally posted by Matt K
Hello, this is my first post here,

WELCOME MATT Wink

We'll save you a PLACE MATT, so you can join in on the fun.
BD

don't scare away the new guy! as if Ralph & Betty were not enough to do that! (nevermind Guido or Tucker Smile ) )

anyways. welcome aboard Matt!

05-04-2002 14:39 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Fess up

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH