Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Band inspiration from DA » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Band inspiration from DA
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Band inspiration from DA Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Last night I just heard a local Illinois-Indiana band called Monkey Thursday. I was absolutely amazed at the talent, razorsharp wit, quirky music and humor. Now this is a three piece band playing NINE instruments.

The drummer/bass player goes to my church. (He's the one I mentioned on an earlier post that said I'd like it, that their music was like Daniel Amos in some ways.) Anyway, I go there, and at one point when something went wrong the lead singer says "Welcome to the most professional show in Lansing". (Sound familiar?) Then they play this song called The Factory, and in the middle he sings "mall all over the world". Now it's starting to make some sense. Then toward the end he says something like "It's 2003, so where's our rocket packs?"

(If you haven't guessed already,) come to find out the lead singer/guitarist/viola player is an avid DA and Dogs fan, and actually has his guitar there autographed by Derri! Is this great, or what? I walked in not knowing what to expect, and walked out on cloud nine.

Here's the band's web site. Has anyone heard of these guys? I encouraged them to consider playing the fests. Who knows, didn't Poor Old Lu get a start sending a tape to Terry? These guys are really, really good, enough to be heard by more than just 50 people in a cafe.

http://web.olivet.edu/~SSTONESI/main.html

Please look at the site and tell me what you think.

01-25-2003 10:56 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Very cool. Have not heard of them.

01-26-2003 00:27 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
pistolpete
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 10-29-2002

to each his own... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've heard this band before...and I really can't agree that they are "really, really, good". Saw them play last year, and while they seem like very nice, sincere guys, they really don't have a solid grasp on those 9 instruments they all play...really sloppy playing and off key singing....like a bad Violent Femmes cover band! Who knows though, with time they could be great. This isn't meant to be mean either...just an opinion of someone who is tired of hearing how great all these new "indie" bands are only to hear them and find out they are just sloppy or "quirky" or whatever...just not that good. Dr. Love said it best a few years ago...bands today would NEVER have made it years ago when being a musician counted for something. But to each his own I suppose...

pete
01-27-2003 00:01 pistolpete is offline Send an Email to pistolpete Search for Posts by pistolpete Add pistolpete to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Raw unprofessional music is my specialty. I make it and with Sediment I will be trying to get it out there. I love quality music like DA but I also like the sloppy sounds of Havalina Rail Co, The Vines and many many others...not to mention The Radiant Dregs Big Grin

01-27-2003 00:06 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
pistolpete
Dark Steamy Cabbage

sloppy is one thing... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
Raw unprofessional music is my specialty. I make it and with Sediment I will be trying to get it out there. I love quality music like DA but I also like the sloppy sounds of Havalina Rail Co, The Vines and many many others...not to mention The Radiant Dregs Big Grin

I'm not talking sloppy like Havalina, I'm talking sloppy like as in not good playing... People forget that Havalina and Vines can actually play their stuff...and play it well. Wilco is sloppy. Ragged is state of mind...playing bad is just playing bad. Trust me, this wasn't like Havalina or what you are hinting at.

What is Sediment?

Pete
01-27-2003 00:16 pistolpete is offline Send an Email to pistolpete Search for Posts by pistolpete Add pistolpete to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

I see Big Grin Sediment is a compilation CD of unknown artists that I am going to put out about twice a year. Several people from these boards have/plan to submit songs. A lot of homemade recordings with a few Studio songs in the mix. I have a whole thread in the off topic section with many more details if you are interested.

01-27-2003 00:28 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
pistolpete
Dark Steamy Cabbage

cool.. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
I see Big Grin Sediment is a compilation CD of unknown artists that I am going to put out about twice a year. Several people from these boards have/plan to submit songs. A lot of homemade recordings with a few Studio songs in the mix. I have a whole thread in the off topic section with many more details if you are interested.

cool...I'll check it out.

thanks,

pete
01-27-2003 00:30 pistolpete is offline Send an Email to pistolpete Search for Posts by pistolpete Add pistolpete to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

I still have to figure out which song to give ya.

01-27-2003 13:17 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
I also like the sloppy sounds of Havalina Rail Co

I like this group a lot! Cool

01-27-2003 15:08 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:

it's gonna kick ass! Cool

01-27-2003 15:09 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

I think so Big Grin

01-27-2003 19:03 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

What did you publish before? It sounds like you've done this kind of thing in the past....

01-27-2003 22:54 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

I've never published music but I did have a six page monthly underground newsletter thing called The Common Ground that I put out in 1998/99. It went out to over 250 people. It had stories poems and yes even DA CD reviews. We had a lot of submissions and a lot of feedback. It went to nearly every state and several Countries. It was a lot of fun. My only other experience with small press publishing is dealing with those who published my work. Magazines like The Flashing Astonisher and Blind Man's Rainbow used a lot of my stuff. They were pretty crazy magazines but I took nearly every opportunity to see my stuff in print. Most Christian magazines wouldn't accept my work but a lot of horror magazines did Big Grin As far as Sediment goes, I experimented with my own work enough to know that I could do an audio project. I realized that nearly everyone I know has stuff recorded so why not give them a chance to share their work. I'm surprised at how excited people are about this. I was talking to my brother in law tonight and he and a few friends are in the process of making a song for the disk. It's really cool to see the artist come out in people.

01-28-2003 00:33 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

I've heard the demo... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
Here's the band's web site. Has anyone heard of these guys? I encouraged them to consider playing the fests. Who knows, didn't Poor Old Lu get a start sending a tape to Terry? These guys are really, really good, enough to be heard by more than just 50 people in a cafe.

These guys gave me a demo cd they recorded, so I can honestly say that I have heard them. In agreement with Pete, I can't say they are "really really good" but they ARE trying to do something different than most bands, and for that they deserve some credit. The music is pretty lo-fi and raw on the demo, and to be honest the weak links are the vocals and drumming. But those things all can improve with practice and time. The lyrics are pretty imaginative, and you can really hear a They Might Be Giants, DA, sort of vibe running throughout. The singer (who actually won the Derri signed guitar from me at the Lost Dogs Chicago concert)is a really nice guy too. I haven't met the other guys. While I think it's a bit soon for them being signed or for festival playing, I do think they show promise and vision. Just my thoughts on it all.

jeffrey k.
www.lo-fidelity.com

01-28-2003 16:40 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Thread Starter Thread Started by John Foxe
The concert Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well gee whiz, does anyone expect recording perfection when they haven't had a record? My wife hated DA until I took her to Cornerstone; maybe the same is true here.

I can tell you this:

1. They recently replaced their drummer with a young man from my church; the drumming in concert was decent.

2. In concert technically they were very good, yet of course they had some minor occasional flaws - they were a half step off in timing a few times, and a few times the vocals were a bit flat. This is perfectly normal in any concert from any group. Heck, I could find more reasons to pick apart a Dogs concert if I really wanted to.

3. The lead singer Tom was energetic, talented, and if there were any flaws in his guitar/viola playing I didn't detect them. In the middle of a song he replaced the guitar with a viola and proceeded to serenade the audience. His humor was sharp and Terryesque.

4. The keyboardist was talented in the same vein as Greg, who can play nearly anything. This guy all night was on the keys with an accordion hanging around his neck, who later picked up a guitar and banjo, no less.

As far as the weak links, where was the drumming on DA's first record? These guys just replaced their drummer. They're young and perhaps making an effort to improve wherever they were when they sent a demo. This seems to be a somewhat different band than the one you heard.

How 'bout it - cut these young whippersnappers a little slack.

01-28-2003 17:10 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

didn't you ask for opinions? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Mr Fox,

I think you are combining PistolPetes negative comments with my "not negative" comments, and are taking them all a bit personally on behalf of this band...which honestly seems a bit odd. You asked if anyone had heard them and for thoughts on it all, and you got them. If you read my post, I not only cut them slack, but actually praise them for their strengths and vision....and simply po9int out some places that need improvement. What is negative about that? The stupid thing is this list rips on other music all the time, so why so defensive about this band?

jeffrey k.

01-29-2003 10:05 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Thread Starter Thread Started by John Foxe
No, no... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Nothing like that. I did read all the posts, and was only responding to two others where I felt the comments were a bit harsh or premature (music, website, etc.) I wasn't really addressing Jeffery's comments directly.

Regardless I appreciate the comments, all of them. I have nothing about which to be personal. I was mainly commenting on the performance last Friday that blew me away with everything I mentioned (but esp. the remarkable similarity to the Dogs and DA in concert.)

I WILL go see them again when they're in concert because of these things, because I see such promise, and because quite simply I had a really good time. Can't say that about too many concerts these days.

A final point: if anyone is in the Illiana area I would encourage a live listen to these guys.

01-29-2003 12:36 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
Heck, I could find more reasons to pick apart a Dogs concert if I really wanted to.

The Dogs at the Lifest Concert was a little rough! Tongue

But it's the Dogs...

Demos can sound kinda rough anyways!

01-29-2003 16:23 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Band inspiration from DA

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH