Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Fearful Sym » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Fearful Sym
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Shemp
unregistered
Fearful Sym Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

as i was cleaning my kitchen floor today, listening to DAmb It, my 6 year old said to me, "..what do the real ones sound like?"

I said "You've heard them Jake, jus not like this though..."

He looked at me with a dazed look so I said "Here, I'll put on some "real" DA."

For some uknown reason I was compelled to go to the archives (thats a place in my basement where a box exists that houses hundreds of cassettes, forever lost and rarley listened to). As I dug, low and behold there was Fearful Symmetry. I do not have it on CD, thus had not listened to it in years (for shame).Crying

As I listened, it dawned on me that not one single song from this epic made it onto the DAmb It! Even in the samples that Mark and I did contained no FS bits.Shocked

We Dambers tend to gravitate to the classics (which it is nice to see Motorcycle getting the latest kudo's), But FS deserves some recognition.

Side 1:
A Sigh For You - I wonder who did the whistling?
The Pool - Oh my God... I forgot how cool that one was
Sleep Silent Child - Classic DA psudo-darkness
Neverland Ballroom - I found myself dancing again (was that my hip cracking?)
Strong Points, Weak Points - Rocking Bass, anyone for chinese?

Side 2:
Instruction Thru Film - Very cool trumpet... sounds confused
When Moonlight Sleeps - DFBB-esque. Again very cool bassline.
Sudden Heaven - I stopped what I was doing and sat down to listen. They got through again those doggon lyrics.
Shadow Catcher - Backmasking triumph! I wish TST would do that again in some of his stuff.
Beautiful One - Wow. Yep, the tears welled.

If you have not listened to FS in a while, do so. Lets give credit where it deserves.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
02-02-2003 22:01
Scrimshaw Nick Scrimshaw Nick is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-387.jpg

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Bad news, Mom. I promised my soul to the devil this afternoon." "Oh? That recently?" ~ Calvin and Hobbes

mucho appreciado Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks Shemp for your story and for Jake's dazed look that prompted you to dig out Fearful Symmetry. It is such a good album, but I have to admit, that it's once of the ones that I listen to the least. Needless to say, it's going into the player next. Right now I'm playing Dvorak and you just can't interrupt him. Big Grin

Thanks again to you and Jake. Keep training him right.

Somebody cured my political apathy but I'm not allowed to say who it is in a signature on the Message Boards
02-02-2003 22:15 Scrimshaw Nick is offline Send an Email to Scrimshaw Nick Search for Posts by Scrimshaw Nick Add Scrimshaw Nick to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Scrimshaw Nick: piratescrimshaw
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Did I mention that my wife got a copy for me for Christmas signed by the band Big Grin

02-02-2003 23:43 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I had forgotten that I have actually listened to most if not all of those songs. I have a couple on my mp3 playlist.

The one that always comes on when I put the list on random (especially when I feel convicted), is "Shadow Catcher." I didn't understand why, but I didn't ask any questions. I felt that God was trying to tell me something. Now I understand. Having just read the lyrics, I feel that this song applies to my life in so many ways.

Shadow Catcher

His eyes, make pictures when they close
He follows, pure breezes where they blow

The earth and ocean seem to sleep
In one another's arms and dream
He does not fear this haunted keep
But swims the shimmery boundless stream

Chorus:
Shadow catcher
Shadow catcher
Shadow catcher

His hands, turn shadows into gold
Three wonders, the spirit wind unfolds

Shapes that haunt thought's wilderness
These are the world's rejected guests
Glass darkly shades the final rest
Still He will surely past this test

(Chorus)

Here the wind will sigh and weep
And all the world is drowned in sleep
Yet His eyes do watch and keep
And the Spirit guides his feet, shadow

He prays, the Lamb of God descends
He seeks, a kingdom without end

Comes the hour of his distress
When temptations do oppress
But each sin he does confess
Embracing now his Unseen Guest

Shadow catcher

02-03-2003 01:32 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

THERE ARE A FEW Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Shemp-
good observation. I was going to list which works got the most "airplay" and did notice none from FS. None of Shotgun Angel..(though snippets appear, thx to you.)
I think it is worth analyzing,and first guesses are for DFBB,Vox Humana-or Doppleganger.-I intend to sit down and give it a closer look.
I actually enjoy FS alot-listened to it a few weeks ago..and my daughter always equates "Beautiful One" with "Across the Universe"-
Not similar in theme, or even melody really- they just sound hauntingly similar.

DAMBit.the REAL glass onion.

jiminY

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
02-03-2003 08:21 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Shemp
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
DAMBit.the REAL glass onion.

jiminY

Big Grin
02-03-2003 08:52
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

FS was my first DA.

Wow when I first head "A sigh for you" i was astounded.

Then came "The pool" and I realised I'd never heard anything like this before

"Sudden Heaven's" style got my attention like a basball bat to the head - softening me up for "Beutiful One" the song to be played at my funeral

02-03-2003 13:59 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

One of my least favorite DA albums to tell the honest truth....... Shocked

that's not saying it's not good! Wink

02-03-2003 15:29 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

quote:
Originally posted by Shemp
As I listened, it dawned on me that not one single song from this epic made it onto the DAmb It! Even in the samples that Mark and I did contained no FS bits.

Sorry Shemp, but I DID include a FS song on The Wacky Fan Letter. The Pool is inbedded in it. It fit in well with my water theme of Corpus Christi. Listen again and you'll hear it. It is one of my favorite DA songs. Big Grin

02-03-2003 15:54 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
Did I mention that my wife got a copy for me for Christmas signed by the band Big Grin

Crying you suck! Crying

Tongue

02-03-2003 16:22 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Big Grin

02-03-2003 23:15 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

It's the one that got me hooked on DA.

02-04-2003 13:09 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I love Fearful Symmetry.

02-04-2003 19:42 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

and it loves you.

02-05-2003 00:20 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Author of the Post Author of the Post is a male
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

Just to pipe in my Two Cents. Feaful Symmetry and Doppelgänger are probably my two favorite early DA albums )early being pre-Kalhoun.) I got Darn Floor, Big Bite soon after it was released and then found Fearful Sym a month or two later (both original CD releases!!) Fearful Sym is the album that made a DA fan causing me to spend hundreds of dollars over the next decade and more trying to buy everything that I can find DA and TST related!

Fearful Symmetry rocks especially for #2 The Pool (second only to "Author of the Story"), #4 Neverland Ballroom (a funky dance song about hell? HELL YEAH!!), and #6 Instruction Thru Film (the song is just too nada cute and funny.)

I _was_ surprised to not see any FS songs on dämb it. Perhaps on Volume II?!?! I think a piano version of "Beautiful One" would be a beautiful one.

Speaking of "Neverland Ballroom", I may post the lyrics to that song on my discussion group for the night class I'm taking on "Literary Representations of Hell." We're basically looking at different cultures, different religions, and different time periods to see how the concept of hell, the devil, and the afterlife are similar and different. It's fascinating so far.

I think that Fearful Symmetry as an album has a lot of Strong Points and very few Weak Points. If you don't own this CD then I'll shed A Sigh for You. And I'll hope that tonight you Sleep Silent Child.

-- aotp
02-05-2003 09:07 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Shemp
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
quote:
Originally posted by Shemp
As I listened, it dawned on me that not one single song from this epic made it onto the DAmb It! Even in the samples that Mark and I did contained no FS bits.

Sorry Shemp, but I DID include a FS song on The Wacky Fan Letter. The Pool is inbedded in it. It fit in well with my water theme of Corpus Christi. Listen again and you'll hear it. It is one of my favorite DA songs. Big Grin

Doh!

I'm sorry, my ears suck due to sitting too closley to the speakers at concerts. I'll give it another listen.
Big Grin
02-05-2003 10:40
Mortal Coil Mortal Coil is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 01-18-2003

Just remember to keep Jesus number one!
02-05-2003 10:46 Mortal Coil is offline Send an Email to Mortal Coil Search for Posts by Mortal Coil Add Mortal Coil to your Buddy List
J-Gob J-Gob is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 10-30-2002

Ya! Ya! Yo! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Dis album be SCHLAMMIN'!!! Vagnerian, even! Und der lyrics oof "Ven Der Moonlight Schleeps" remind me of my beloved Gerrteh!!!

But fer der fearful symmetry, nutTING beat me und my homies ven ve vere kings of der hood! Not even dat poser Schtalin!!! Ve VER der triumph of der VILL, after all, you schillies!

Mein Herr points to der sky
Der schlammin' place I vanna be, dawgs!

02-05-2003 10:49 J-Gob is offline Send an Email to J-Gob Homepage of J-Gob Search for Posts by J-Gob Add J-Gob to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

William Blake

02-05-2003 11:30 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Gabriel Syme Gabriel Syme is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-135.gif

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

FS & Neverland Ballroom Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Fearful Symmetry & Doppelganger were my top two until Mr. Buechner's Dream landed under the Christmas tree. (I never warmed up to Darn Floor Big Bite. I'm not sure why.) DA released FS when I was in a difficult place in my life, & the sheer beauty & hopefulness of its message carried me over a number of really rough times.

I would love to hear how the class reacts to 'Neverland Ballroom.' I'm sure it would be unlike any other example.
02-05-2003 11:53 Gabriel Syme is offline Search for Posts by Gabriel Syme Add Gabriel Syme to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Fearful Sym

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH