Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Success » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Success 3 Votes - Average Rating: 9.673 Votes - Average Rating: 9.673 Votes - Average Rating: 9.673 Votes - Average Rating: 9.673 Votes - Average Rating: 9.67
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Success Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I know that we all think that everthing Uncle Terry touches is a success. I love everything that he does. I am just curious, what has been the most "successful" thing he has done commercially and financially? Is it DA, SE, solo, LD, or his production work? Anyone know?
LK-9

06-01-2004 09:43 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Vox Robotica
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpg

Registration Date: 06-19-2003

RE: Success Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'd put money on The Dogs being his biggest success - they still have a label deal, still get sold in the Christian bookstores, etc.

~ Vox

"The systems fail
All the circuits blown
And the message lost in this machine oh

06-01-2004 10:00 Vox Robotica is offline Send an Email to Vox Robotica Homepage of Vox Robotica Search for Posts by Vox Robotica Add Vox Robotica to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr YIM Account Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr View the MSN Profile for Vox Robotica
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

not that i'd agree...but i'd say the most successful thing would be "shotgun angel".

06-01-2004 11:29 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"Let's Spin" was pretty big. Bigger than most DA albums I think.
Except maybe Shotgun Angel?

The Dogs stuff is a weird animal, they still have that not overly
accepted by mainstream CCM thing going, and only part of their
respective bands fans like the Dogs.

I mean think about it this way, which do you think had
more commercial success; The Beatles, ELO, Tom Petty &
The Heartbreakers, Bob Dylan and Roy Orbison or the
Traveling Wilburys?

You would hope to combine the audience of all of them, but if
the style of music is drastically different then it doesn't happen.

They keep some fans and have to make different ones. And then
you also have to take into account the style of music doesn't actually
lend itself to rabbid fandom like a rock act does.

It's a difficult question to answer. Judging from the website
sales the Dogs do about a 15th of the business of the DA/77s titles.
But on the otherhand, there are less places to get the DA/77s titles.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
06-01-2004 11:36 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

Thread Starter Thread Started by Lost Canine

Has Uncle Randy been his most successful production work?

06-01-2004 11:38 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Administrator

I would guess so, but not sure.

Equator was pretty big. Not sure how Wonderama went
as for sales. I really thought it was a masterpiece.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
06-01-2004 11:40 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

Wonderama is a masterpiece.

06-01-2004 11:46 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

I think this was discussed here once, but how did Terry hook up with Savior Machine? It seems that their first release was a pretty book success.

06-01-2004 11:51 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Eleanor Eleanor is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-641.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
I would guess so, but not sure.

Equator was pretty big. Not sure how Wonderama went
as for sales. I really thought it was a masterpiece.

I bought them both when they first came out and enjoy them both quite a lot. Smile I've always liked RS, but Terry's influence on his music is some of my favorite.
06-01-2004 11:55 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
Administrator

Agree.

As for Savior Machine, no idea. Terry/DA has influenced a
lot of musicians and bands over the years, DA's ministry
really has spread as other bands reach new people.

06-01-2004 12:30 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

I agree and I think it's cool that TST's ministry has such a broad range. It's very cool to think about.

06-01-2004 14:25 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Administrator

Yes, they really have no idea how many people have been
affected, encouraged, and had their walk strengthened
by their music. Especially when you consider other artists who are
doing what they are doing even partially because of these bands.

And it's not by being spotless pillars of the 'church' that they
encourage others, but by being real in their struggles. By asking
the same questions as the rest of us, people see and understand
that we all go through the same things.

I believe God leads women and men like Terry to share about things
in their own life through song to speak things to people who might
be going through the same struggles.

It's very different than hitting people with cliche' pattened
Christianese songs that maybe full of truth but are not down
here where we live. If you have an outreach ministry to an
old folks home, which is more effective; visiting them and
spending time and sharing with them or going door to door
with a memorized sermon on how God loves you?

How do you measure the spiritual success? By hearing the stories
of people who have been touched, the stories of people that have
lost someone and find comfort in Knowledge & Innocence or
any other album about lifes struggles. For every person that writes
to Terry or the guys there is an unimaginable number of others who
don't.

I know the thread is about commercial success, but commercial success
and spiritual success both are not easy to judge.

06-01-2004 16:06 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

quote:
Originally posted by audiori

I know the thread is about commercial success, but commercial success
and spiritual success both are not easy to judge.

True, but Shotgun Angel is on a compilation called Contemporary Christian Hits '76-'77. Wink
06-01-2004 16:30 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have heard that "Let's Spin" made money!Shocked

06-01-2004 16:31 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Administrator

I would guess Shotgun Angel and Lets Spin were two of the
biggest.. Let's Spin had a very cool buzz with the whole 'guess
the eddies' contest going on. And Shotgun Angel had to be big
if the band toured a bit with an orchestra.

06-01-2004 16:34 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Question Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think I heard somewhere that Motorcycle made money as well.

06-01-2004 16:36 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pope John Paul Ringo
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-03-2004

quote:
I know the thread is about commercial success, but commercial success and spiritual success both are not easy to judge

I think my CD did both Red Face

06-01-2004 17:55 Pope John Paul Ringo is offline Send an Email to Pope John Paul Ringo Search for Posts by Pope John Paul Ringo Add Pope John Paul Ringo to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Tongue

06-04-2004 14:43 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool I agree.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Pope John Paul Ringo
quote:
I know the thread is about commercial success, but commercial success and spiritual success both are not easy to judge

I think my CD did both Red Face

"White Monks on Pope" ROCKED!!!

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
06-04-2004 14:47 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Success

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH