Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » this is a true story, i'm not joking but i am scared! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page this is a true story, i'm not joking but i am scared! 3 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

this is a true story, i'm not joking but i am scared! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

my company asked me to interview some prospective new employees, and i swear i think i must've met some of berger's previously unknown siblings. the following berger-like encounters are all true:

one guy inexplicably kept responding to me in sentences that had absolutely nothing to do with what i had previously said or asked of him. we were talking about technical, geek-related stuff. in regular conversation, the equivalent would be something like this:

me: tell me where you live.

him: there goes bill! his pants live in infamy!

me: ... um, ...well, what sort of work did you do in--

him: feeeeeeeeeeeed! behold my golden saxaphones!

me: ... ... ... i see ...

and it went on like that for an uncomfortable period of time. honestly, i'm not exaggerating.

the next guy was in his fifties, but with obvious dyed JET BLACK facial
hair(!) i went out to the lobby to walk him back into a conference room.
i said "hello, i'm tim." he pretended not to hear and kept looking at a magazine. finally he looked at me, looked back down at his magazine and then LEAPT out of his chair.

we started walking towards the conference room and he immediately began grumbling about the traffic and i said yeah, i hate that too, or something.

i looked away and then looked back to my side, expecting him to be walking beside me or just slightly behind, like you do when walking beside someone down a hallway. when i looked back to my side, he wasn't there and i couldn't find him anywhere. i realized he was walking DIRECTLY BEHIND ME within a foot of my back(?!) i had to stop myself from suddenly spinning around.

when we got into the conference room, he began to inappropriately grin and wag his eyebrows at me as i gave him the job description. he began mumbling and then blurting out words that, again, had nothing to do with the conversation. "...(yipsilanti!)... ... ...DISMOUNT!"

and when i showed him the software that he would be working with, he looked at it as if he were a new-born babe, staring at the pretty lights on the christmas tree for the very first time ever. (in other words, it was as if he had never even seen a computer before.)

how could this happen? it was all so berger-like, it was just uncanny. honest, friends, i'm not making any of this up.
09-23-2003 15:23 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

wow, that is too funny...

so, which of the two did you hire? Tongue

09-23-2003 15:35 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

Thread Starter Thread Started by tchandler
hey, Dr. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

if it were up to me, i'd hire both of 'em. the days would go by really fast with those guys around.
09-23-2003 15:37 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Is that uncommon in your field, Tim?

Because in social services we have social workers and supervisors who don't know the slightest thing about interpersonal relating or child rearing. i expect it anymore. i'm sorry it is seeping into other fields.
09-23-2003 15:37 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Daniel Amos

baxter--seriously? you have actual workers who act like that? (you are joking, then...
09-23-2003 15:39 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by baxter
Is that uncommon in your field, Tim?

Because in social services we have social workers and supervisors who don't know the slightest thing about interpersonal relating or child rearing. i expect it anymore. i'm sorry it is seeping into other fields.

that's right you are in social services too! You know all too well too! Tongue

09-23-2003 15:40 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Shocked RE: hey, Dr. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by tchandler
if it were up to me, i'd hire both of 'em. the days would go by really fast with those guys around.

oh yeah, I would think they would be a lot more normal than a lot of guitar players! Tongue

09-23-2003 15:41 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Attention Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
baxter--seriously? you have actual workers who act like that? (you are joking, then...

I bet his is joking a little, but it would not be too far off...

09-23-2003 15:42 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:

Tim, you know i am a serious man...

But i was not in jest. Another example came up this morning. Our staff has been sharing concerns about a particular family for months. They are wonderful people but have definite limitations. We have advocated that very specail care be taken in matching children with this family. The advice was not heeded, and now there are numerous problems (that should have been easily forseen). This may not seem parallel to your descriptions, but the lack of awareness is almost identical.
09-23-2003 15:51 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Squidzit
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-629.jpg

Registration Date: 05-14-2003

Tim, maybe it was some DAmber's you were interviewing! Confused

~Groucho~
09-23-2003 16:14 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Registration Date: 02-14-2003

Ha Ha Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Chandler, you big dope, that was ME with the "obvious dyed JET BLACK facial hair (!)" Hmmmm, let's see..."obvious dyed jet black facial hair"....could that be a DIGUISE?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAGXK

09-23-2003 16:18 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
Daniel Amos

but berger, your hair is already dark brown. how would dying it black be a disguise?
09-23-2003 16:26 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Registration Date: 02-14-2003

... ... ... ...What?

09-23-2003 16:27 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Like that time when we were fishing and the car wouldn't start so we had to eat all the pie.

09-23-2003 17:57 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

RE: Ha Ha Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

:
quote:
Originally posted by Berger Roy Al
Chandler, you big dope, that was ME with the "obvious dyed JET BLACK facial hair (!)" Hmmmm, let's see..."obvious dyed jet black facial hair"....could that be a DIGUISE?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAGXK
Big Grin

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
09-23-2003 19:06 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
EdHead EdHead is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 10-21-2002

quote:
Originally posted by BigDork
Like that time when we were fishing and the car wouldn't start so we had to eat all the pie.

Oh yeah...i remember that...Bob.

What?....

Oh, the uniform....I'll go change.

09-23-2003 20:06 EdHead is offline Homepage of EdHead Search for Posts by EdHead Add EdHead to your Buddy List Add EdHead to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of EdHead: messayoussa YIM Account Name of EdHead: yahooyolo View the MSN Profile for EdHead
Space Ghost
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-228.jpg

Registration Date: 02-07-2003

RE: this is a true story, i'm not joking but i am scared! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
...and when i showed him the software that he would be working with, he looked at it as if he were a new-born babe, staring at the pretty lights on the christmas tree for the very first time ever.

Didya' ever see that cartoon short on TV Funhouse called 'The Baby, The Immigrant, & The Guy On Mushrooms'??? What you describe above is pretty much it. Funny as all get-out!

Your story also brought to mind something I heard a comedian relate one time. He was talking about job interviewing skills and how you basically have to BS your way through the whole process, because if you're honest you won't get the job. As in, let's say the interviewer asks you 'Where do you want to be in five years?' You probably shouldn't answer with 'Well, hopefully I'll be at home collecting long-term disability.' Big Grin

SG

Makes the color of right

Gravity and distance
Change the passage of light
Gravity and distance
Change the color of right

09-24-2003 21:24 Space Ghost is offline Send an Email to Space Ghost Search for Posts by Space Ghost Add Space Ghost to your Buddy List
Shemp
unregistered

Mr.T

Cun i feel out an applacashun.

i like work... my now job smells and i wants to torture my boss....
09-26-2003 12:56
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Shemp
Mr.T

Cun i feel out an applacashun.

i like work... my now job smells and i wants to torture my boss....

sure... Smile )

09-26-2003 14:30 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
doppelganger doppelganger is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 07-10-2002

RE: this is a true story, i'm not joking but i am scared! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

He must have been messing with you. Maybe he wanted to keep the unemployment checks coming so he blew the interview. Myself, when I go to to a new dentist, I have the desire to the check every box under "illness" just to wig them out a little. Perhaps he just wanted to freak you out a bit.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by doppelganger: 09-27-2003 23:55.

09-27-2003 23:52 doppelganger is offline Send an Email to doppelganger Search for Posts by doppelganger Add doppelganger to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » this is a true story, i'm not joking but i am scared!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH