Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » TST Disc of the Week » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (10): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page TST Disc of the Week 3 Votes - Average Rating: 7.003 Votes - Average Rating: 7.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

TST Disc of the Week Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Someone set a TST disc of the week. Let's all listen together and post our thoughts. Any takers?

04-04-2004 18:36 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i'm a taker. Who will pick it?
04-04-2004 18:45 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

How about Bibleland? It's not the most popular, but I love it!

04-04-2004 18:51 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Mad Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I’m getting my money back tomorrow. I’m sick of having to make an effort to like any of your music. And it is time for you to record something encouraging and less muddled sounding Christian.......

Tongue

04-04-2004 18:57 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Bibleland it is. So, do we listen to it all week?
04-04-2004 19:15 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I'm in for Bibleland

04-04-2004 19:52 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

I won't go back to Bibleland my freind died there I loved him too much.

04-04-2004 19:54 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Was he savagely attacked by the midgets or by Debbie Boone?
04-04-2004 20:16 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Debbie.

She's working here. She's **** lucky to be on the payroll.

04-04-2004 21:38 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

I'm in for BibleLand. Greg and Jerry on geetars, Gene on production and piano, sweet mercy!

But nothing else all week? My ADD won't stand for it! It was tough enough listening to just ZD for one whole day last week!

But I'll change my sig for the occasion!

04-04-2004 21:50 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Thread Starter Thread Started by Lost Canine

Bibleland it is then.

04-04-2004 21:53 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

I'll be in Bibleland!

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
04-04-2004 23:34 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

i'll meet you by the river of life!
04-04-2004 23:37 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

Bibleland is in the Cd player of my Car and I'm up to Bakersfeild. (difficlut to drive and type...)

I keep forgetting how much I love this Cd. When it's on the shelf i think about it's raw roughness and how I just hated Bakersfeild.

But now I love the whole thing. except constance she still bugs me a bit.

04-05-2004 01:13 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Thumb Down! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
Debbie.

She's working here. She's **** lucky to be on the payroll.

hands down worst Da song ever! even including that first country album..... Frown

04-05-2004 02:02 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

If you think that's the worst DA song ever, what does that reduce
"Shedding the Mortal Coil" to?

Man, a few songs like that I just cringe when I hear 'em...

Oh, and "guilty" seriously annoys...
Tongue

04-05-2004 07:39 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Criteria Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Perhaps we need some criteria for discussion to gel this thing together?

Feel free to add topics as we go:

Favorite Bibleland track: Constance Of The Universe
Love it. I'm a big fan of the Kinks and Ray & Dave would take to this like ducks to crackers, yee haw. The main guitar figure is reminiscent of "Tired Of Waiting For You" and the worldview at that moment is very Davies-like. But what makes it truly hang together is that the band plays the hack out of it.

Close second: I'll Get Over It

Least Favorite: Broken Ladders To Glory
Which is odd because it's one of my favorite DA songs, but it sticks out hard on this set. Bibleland is as close as the band ever came to God-honest punk rock. Hard, loud, aggressive, angry, not fussy. Broken Ladders, while being a poetic, ballad-like entrypoint, leaves the listener dangling over the audio assault to come.

Why is the recording this way: I have to believe there was pressure from above. Gene, Ojo and Brainstorm allowed the artists on their label unprecedented freedom, but then Word started mashing all the rock labels together into the W.A.L., soon dismantling them. I can only imagine Word sending messages to Brainstorm: kepp it safe and friendly.

So in typical contrarian DA fashion, we get the seething stomp of "Pete And Repeat", the deal-with-it essence of "The Bubble Bursts", and the incorrigible nature of "She's Working Here". The line "she's nada lucky to be on the payroll" strikes me as a bit of the flipping bird to the suits.

Where does it rank for me: It's not one of the first discs I go to, I'll qualify that. It was, on initial release, much like Kalhoun where I listened to it incessantly for months. I know the songs intuitively now, but as I said before, it is very much the DA punk album and sometimes you need the right mood for a listening experience.

Having said that, it is much meatier than most angry punk discs, even the political ones, and certainly more poetic than anything the genre produced. "Out In The Cold", "Broken Ladders", even in it's sarcastic fashion "Bibleland" have more sheer lyrical prowess, detail and figurative language than the norm. It's easy to pass off the set as "Terry & Co. really p****d off", but there's wonderful attention to creative detail that goes unrivalled here.

Next?
DwD

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by DwDunphy: 04-05-2004 09:42.

04-05-2004 09:41 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Tongue! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
If you think that's the worst DA song ever, what does that reduce
"Shedding the Mortal Coil" to?

Man, a few songs like that I just cringe when I hear 'em...

Oh, and "guilty" seriously annoys...
Tongue

those are both great songs! she's working here is not.... Red Face
but then again, that's just my opinion, i could be wrong........ Cool

04-05-2004 10:15 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

RE: Criteria Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
Perhaps we need some criteria for discussion to gel this thing together?

Why is the recording this way: I have to believe there was pressure from above. Gene, Ojo and Brainstorm allowed the artists on their label unprecedented freedom, but then Word started mashing all the rock labels together into the W.A.L., soon dismantling them. I can only imagine Word sending messages to Brainstorm: kepp it safe and friendly.

Where does it rank for me: It's not one of the first discs I go to, I'll qualify that. It was, on initial release, much like Kalhoun where I listened to it incessantly for months. I know the songs intuitively now, but as I said before, it is very much the DA punk album and sometimes you need the right mood for a listening experience.

Having said that, it is much meatier than most angry punk discs, even the political ones, and certainly more poetic than anything the genre produced. "Out In The Cold", "Broken Ladders", even in it's sarcastic fashion "Bibleland" have more sheer lyrical prowess, detail and figurative language than the norm. It's easy to pass off the set as "Terry & Co. really p****d off", but there's wonderful attention to creative detail that goes unrivalled here.

Next?
DwD

I don't really understand why some don't like Bibleland. I haven't listened to it that much yet (recently got a cassette) but I did hear some of the MP3s from it for awhile and thought it rocked. But then I didn't care for the Alarma chronicles that much musically (from what I have heard so far). Even if I'm not in the mood for certain DA, I can still usually read the lyrics and be moved. I think DA really started to shine with Darn Floor Big Bite and have only gotten better since. My favorite tracks and albums are in large part dependent on what I'm going through at the time.

I recently gave our pastor MBD and he has really liked it. In a recent conversation I basically told him I think that DA and some of my other favorite artists haven't been that commercially successful because they are serious about their work and desire to get into the meat of life. Most people don't want to do much more than scratch the surface.

Sorry, I guess I haven't done much to gel this conversation. DA simply amazes and leaves one breathless at times. Their genius admidst life's insanities. More inspiring than most any stuff from CCM that got airplay. WOW!

So far "I'll Get Over It" is probably my fave on Bibleland.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
04-05-2004 10:27 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Shocked I forgot! Shocked

The Feelies were loaded in the WinAmp playlist and I started playing that before remembering the DotW. I'm switching to BL now.

I can say that I cannot listen to Out in the Cold without singing it the rest of the day. That emotional outburst grabs me everytime.

I agree with DW that although Broken Ladders is one of DA's best tracks, it seems out of place on this album.

04-05-2004 10:37 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Pages (10): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » TST Disc of the Week

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH