Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Alarma Radio Special...what's it worth? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Alarma Radio Special...what's it worth?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
JACkory JACkory is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 09-10-2005

Alarma Radio Special...what's it worth? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

First off, let me say that I'm honored to finally be a part of this community of Daniel Amos fans. I have loved their music ever since I first heard "Horrendous Disc"...in fact, I used to play tracks from that album on a "Gospel By Radio" local radio program that I hosted when I first got out of high school back in 1980. I remember thinking that "Alarma" would be one of the most revolutionary "Contemporary Christian" albums of all time when I first heard it, and needless to say I was totally blown away by "Doppelganger" and "Vox Humana". I sort of abdicated the scene for a long period before the release of "Fearful Symmetry" (though I eventually did hear it and love it) so there's a chunk of DA stuff I've not heard (basically everything except "Motorcycle", "Kalhoun", "Songs of the Heart" and the awesome "Mr. Buechner's Dream", which is where I became a hardcore fan again).
I'm also quite fond of the Swirling Eddies and Lost Dogs, and I actually had the opportunity to ask Jason Martin in person what it was like to work with Terry Taylor, re his production of Starflyer 59's excellent "Leave Here a Stranger" (his reply=it was like working with an exuberant kid bursting with great ideas...that's a paraphrase, btw, but a close one)...
Anyway, my main purpose in posting here at this time is to attempt to ascertain the monetary value of an item that I hope to sell on e-Bay, which is, I presume, of a rare nature (I have never seen it offered before).
I am NOT trying to sell it to anyone here...thought I'd better throw that out...but I figured if anyone knew how much I should expect to get for it, you guys/gals would.
The item is a 12" vinyl recording of the Daniel Amos Alarma Radio Special ("An Intimate Insight"), the transcript of which can be found on DA's website at http://www.danielamos.com/articles/alarmara.html ... I assume it was released to radio programmers and djs just prior to the release of the Alarma album. The cover is identical to the Alarma album cover, but affixed to the bottom front is a purple sticker that reads "A New Radio Special...Daniel Amos...an intimate insight". The cover is in very good condition and the record itself is as close to mint as any I've ever seen. I doubt it has been played more than a couple of times.
The reason I am selling this is simple...I do not have a record player and I have no plans to purchase one in the future. I am considering having a friend burn the special onto a CD for me before I ship it to the buyer, but as a vinyl record I really have no use for it (and I am not a memorabilia collector).
I will wait a few days for a possible response (as to the record's value) before I place it on eBay, and I thank you in advance for the opportunity to draw upon your knowledge.
I know this kinda looks like some sales pitch, but honestly it's not. I'm about 99% positive this will sell on eBay (trust me, I've tried to get DA stuff there myself)... I just want to make sure I get what it's worth.
Any questions or comments and I will be happy to respond.
Thanks again...
James Arthur Casey
John 6: 67-69

09-10-2005 17:15 JACkory is offline Send an Email to JACkory Homepage of JACkory Search for Posts by JACkory Add JACkory to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JACkory: jackory69 View the MSN Profile for JACkory
Eleanor Eleanor is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-641.jpg

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

RE: Alarma Radio Special...what's it worth? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JACkory
First off, let me say that I'm honored to finally be a part of this community of Daniel Amos fans.

hello Smile
09-10-2005 18:53 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Good to have you here JACKory. I really have no clue about the vinyl...depends on what kind of rabid fans are checking the listings any given week, I guess...
09-10-2005 20:58 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah unfortunately I have no idea what it would or could sell for. Not seen one sell in a while, you might get a guess off of seeing what other items go for on ebay. Some rare CDs go for $100 sometimes. If I was going to list one myself, I could be wrong, but I would kinda expect anywhere from $50 to $120? Hard to say though, could go higher since not up on there often, could go lower since people generally have moved away from vinyl.
All depends on how bad the person that might see it wants it.

09-12-2005 10:13 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Eleanor Eleanor is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-641.jpg

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

it's really only worth like 2 bucks....

so where should I send my $2?
09-12-2005 10:16 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

i'M THINKIN $2.25........

JAckory- (cool moniker)

I really dont know either but tend to agree with Audiori J (Hes and his brother Audiori (without the J) are the moderators of this board-so insightful- yes!)- it rather depends on the desire for vinyl- or maybe not- some collector may want it because of what it is -that woudl be my initial thought.
Good luck-
and .
hello.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
09-12-2005 12:33 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
JACkory JACkory is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 09-10-2005

Thread Starter Thread Started by JACkory

Thanks for the feedback so far...
I appreciate it.
If I could pull 50 bucks out of it I would be more than pleased, but yeah, I guess it all depends on who is in the market (and the vinyl aspect is limiting...what can I say? It's from 1981, before the advent of digital technology).
Might be a good idea to wait until November, early December to take advantage of Christmas gift shoppers.
But I dunno...if gas prices don't drop soon I may have to take whatever I can get, huh?

So does anyone around here know if "Mr. Buechner's Dream" is DA's swan song? Hope not, but man they'd sure go out with a "bang" if it turns out to be.

Peace
Jim

09-12-2005 13:37 JACkory is offline Send an Email to JACkory Homepage of JACkory Search for Posts by JACkory Add JACkory to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JACkory: jackory69 View the MSN Profile for JACkory
ftg3plus4 ftg3plus4 is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-622.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2005

I sold my copy on eBay a couple years ago. I don't remember exactly what I got for it but I think it was in the neighborhood of 8 to 10 bucks. It was not in mint condition by any means, though.
09-12-2005 14:31 ftg3plus4 is offline Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:

So does anyone around here know if "Mr. Buechner's Dream" is DA's swan song? Hope not, but man they'd sure go out with a "bang" if it turns out to be.

I don't think any of them would say that it was.. in fact, I think Tim has said here on the board that he definitely didn't think it was.

Having said that, it is very much up in the air when another record will happen.. it's very difficult for the guys to get together to record these days. For example, Camarillo's been planning a new Swirling Eddies record for a year and it hasn't completely come together yet.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
09-12-2005 14:37 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

And I know Terry asked at one point what they should do next, a Swirling Eddies record? That was before he decided to work on the one he has been trying to write.

I have a feeling they will do what they are able to do when they are able to do it.

09-12-2005 15:26 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
quote:

I don't think any of them would say that it was.. in fact, I think Tim has said here on the board that he definitely didn't think it was.

Having said that, it is very much up in the air when another record will happen.. it's very difficult for the guys to get together to record these days. For example, Camarillo's been planning a new Swirling Eddies record for a year and it hasn't completely come together yet.

Hmmm... Will it happen before Terry turns 60? Frown

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
09-12-2005 15:27 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

vinyl is obsolete.... Crying

Cool
09-12-2005 15:36 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

I would give a few bucks for it, if I knew it was listed (not a ebay fanatic).

I would like to get more early DA stuff, but would only pay good $ for CDs.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
09-12-2005 15:45 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I have it on CD.

09-12-2005 18:56 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
freak freak is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-270.jpg

Registration Date: 11-13-2003

i have it on disc and on lp...

~f

dit, dit, doo
09-12-2005 18:57 freak is offline Send an Email to freak Homepage of freak Search for Posts by freak Add freak to your Buddy List
freak freak is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

i also have the horrendous disc radio special (digital copy and lp) and the doppelganger radio special... (just a digital copy of this...)

~f

dit, dit, doo
09-12-2005 18:59 freak is offline Send an Email to freak Homepage of freak Search for Posts by freak Add freak to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I have them all on CD.

Not trying to brag or anything. Just stating the facts, sir.

09-12-2005 19:57 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

well - i dont have any of them
I only have the better bootleg special stuff..
well - not really- I am only pretending to brag

hey-that has its merits
ask any kid!

besides- my pa can lick yer pa any day!

09-12-2005 20:16 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
freak freak is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
I have them all on CD.

Not trying to brag or anything. Just stating the facts, sir.

i think this may be a message board not getting my tone...

i wasn't attempting to "brag" or one up... I too was just weighing in.

~f

but jiminy - i am fairly certain your dad would whip mine.

Tongue

dit, dit, doo
09-12-2005 20:35 freak is offline Send an Email to freak Homepage of freak Search for Posts by freak Add freak to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

f~
ok - as long as thats straight!

(actually - my dad is among the dearly departed.....but I speak in his stead occasionally still...)

09-12-2005 20:38 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Alarma Radio Special...what's it worth?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH