Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Is this the wild parrot population that was partially the inspiration for the title "Donna Nietche and Her Super Race of Kick Boxing Über Parrots"?

I can't remember where I saw or heard it, but I remember wild parrots in CA being mentioned. Maybe it was in the WEWH bookset or interview with Terry?

On the public radio this morning I heard there was some group trying to save the wild parrots of Telegraph Hill in San Francisco because the trees they inhabit were getting old and were going to have to be cut down.

http://www.markbittner.net/

http://www.wildparrotsfilm.com/

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
02-26-2007 12:54 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by Mountain Fan
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

OK, I figured that these San Fran birds were not the exact ones, so here's the scoop out of the When Everyone Wore Hats bookset. If you don't have it, you still need to buy it. It is most worth it even if you already have Songs of the Heart. You can still get it in the webstore:
http://www.danielamos.com/store/daindex.html

=========

Donna Nietche And Her Super Race of Kickboxing Uber Parrots

Originally placed as the seventh cut on "Songs", this time out the tune serves to welcome the listener into the world of mystery and wonder that lies ahead. The strange title came about when Tim, Greg, and I were brandishing about fictional rock band names (a lively habit of ours during "downtime" in the studio). We were in the back room at the 'Fabulous Greenroom' when Greg mentioned that he'd spotted the very real flock of wild parrots that fly around Pasadena. The story goes that several years back a male and female parrot escaped a Pasadena home, gave birth to parrot children who in turn mated, producing a sizable family of wild birds. Apparently they are an obnoxiously loud bunch, and are described as being quite "mean". Greg's account gave rise to our "uber" concept, "uber" being a German term which we began immediately riffing on, coming up with the whole "Donna Nietche" idea (a playful combination of actor Don Ameche's name coupled with the infamous philosophers). Parrots as Nazi storm troopers? We had a title, but for what? When I wrote the song, based on Steven Millhauser's "Barnum Museum" I had no working title. "Donna Nietche" seemed fitting. Humorous, yet mysterious, it seemed to capture the essence of the project as a whole.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
02-27-2007 20:58 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH