Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » Alarma Chronicles thoughts and dreams. » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Alarma Chronicles thoughts and dreams.
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jparker jparker is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 04-23-2003

Alarma Chronicles thoughts and dreams. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've already got the book set, as well as the individual CDs of all four. But here's my 2 cents toward what I'd love to see regarding these coming back out. For the packaging ... has anyone else seen any of the Japanese reissues that have come out over the last few years (maybe longer)? They're released in the original vinyl artwork, but shrunk down to CD size. It's like a little album, with gatefold sleeves and all that sort of stuff. Exact replicas of the original records, just smaller. That has to be my all time favorite way of repackaging rereleases. The artwork on the CD itself is made to look like the inner section of the original records generally, and the CD is often in a little plastic sleeve much like some LPs were (I normally HATE any packages where the CD slides out of something instead of coming on a spindle, but with the plastic sleeve, these work very well). I have a couple releases by the Smiths like this... a few Cyndi Lauper reissues that just came out... and there's a huge stash of John Lennon reissues at the local FYE in this style as well. Anyway, point being they look freakin' great!
I would love to see all four of the Alarma Chronicles released in packaging in that style, just like little LPs. All the original artwork, a pressing of the Chronicles story in the same size (but big enough to be legible), some new notes, writings, etc., bonus tracks, the usual. Then put all four, and the bonus stuff, in one little box. THAT, would be sweet.

[another format that i liked would be like the Jerry Garcia - All Good Things box, if anyone is familiar with that. digipack CDs... little soft-bound book... nice outer box. that would be a good plan B.]

I guess the common thread in those 2 is that all the CDs come with their original artwork reproduced. That's one thing I didn't like about the book set... the new blue book instead of the real covers... but anywho... just my rambling 2 cents on what my dream Alarma reissue looks like in my head when I envision it.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jparker: 07-18-2008 18:32.

07-18-2008 18:31 jparker is offline Send an Email to jparker Search for Posts by jparker Add jparker to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of jparker: jeff_parker@mac.com
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I love the book, but I also have The Alarma Chronicles on LP.
It's nice to have the artwork nice and LP large! Cool

07-18-2008 21:16 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'd love to see the Alarma Chronicles Book Set rereleased because it is so cool. But if that isn't possible, how about something different (yet kind of similar) like Kansas' Sail On book set? I could see one CD being "The best of the Alarma Chronicles," another CD being rarities and demo versions of songs (perhaps even a couple remake of songs....), and a third disc being a DVD of live perfomances from that era, with interviews of band members between each song. Then, in the book, the Alarma Chronicles stories (or dreams?) could be printed as well as some of the artwork.

07-19-2008 01:28 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

And, while we're talkin' 'bout "Alarma Chronicles thoughts and dreams," how about an Alarma Chronicles volume 5? It would be an all-new recording from Daniel Amos (maybe Jerry and Rob could contribute, as well). I mean, Mr. Buechner's Dream is a tough one to follow, so a new Alarma Chronicles album would be a good choice for the next DA cd. I'm sure Terry could come up with a logical concept that would follow Fearful Symmetry and fit within the Alarma Chronicles theme.

07-19-2008 03:02 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
And, while we're talkin' 'bout "Alarma Chronicles thoughts and dreams," how about an Alarma Chronicles volume 5? It would be an all-new recording from Daniel Amos (maybe Jerry and Rob could contribute, as well). I mean, Mr. Buechner's Dream is a tough one to follow, so a new Alarma Chronicles album would be a good choice for the next DA cd. I'm sure Terry could come up with a logical concept that would follow Fearful Symmetry and fit within the Alarma Chronicles theme.

Well, once you've reached the end of time and explored heaven (Fearful Symmetry), there's really only one place left to go, and I'm not sure that would make for a very entertaining listen...

Shocked

(EDIT: Besides, "Neverland Ballroom" already took us there...)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wakachiwaka: 07-19-2008 12:33.

07-19-2008 12:18 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
And, while we're talkin' 'bout "Alarma Chronicles thoughts and dreams," how about an Alarma Chronicles volume 5?

There already is one! Tongue

08-08-2008 06:19 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
crunchee crunchee is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 12-03-2003

quote:
And, while we're talkin' 'bout "Alarma Chronicles thoughts and dreams," how about an Alarma Chronicles volume 5?

i thought leave here a stranger was volume five.

09-27-2008 10:48 crunchee is offline Send an Email to crunchee Homepage of crunchee Search for Posts by crunchee Add crunchee to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of crunchee: djshopvac8
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

I have a japanese set of the first four beatles albums in those tiny record sleaves. I do like those quite a bit. I really like reproducing the original artwork for releases like that as close as can be. Especially for an album that by the fans of the band is considered a classic. When I bought Alarma the first time, 50% of the experience for me was looking at the artwork.

It seems as though a lot of times people like to 'update' artwork for reissues to make it more 'modern', but generally I think that is a mistake.

09-27-2008 22:41 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

just airbrush out the cigarettes and we'll be cool.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/celebri...ee_beatles.html

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
09-29-2008 13:03 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

A chill went down my spine as I pondered the thought, Alarma Chronicles Volume Five. With visions of Jar-Jar Binks running through my head, I beseech you, may it never be. When something ends, let it end.
10-01-2008 15:50 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

That would be the Alarma Chronicles Prequel.

10-02-2008 21:54 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:

There already is one! Tongue

yup............. Pleased

Cool
10-02-2008 22:16 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
jon eddies jon eddies is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 10-29-2007

airbrush out the cigs... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Jiminy, that article reminded me of the Phil Keaggy tune on Sunday's Child, Big Eraser.
10-02-2008 23:22 jon eddies is offline Send an Email to jon eddies Search for Posts by jon eddies Add jon eddies to your Buddy List
jon eddies jon eddies is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 10-29-2007

Alarma Vol 5 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

yea, and wouldn't that be taking too many trips down Memory Lane. Cool
10-02-2008 23:23 jon eddies is offline Send an Email to jon eddies Search for Posts by jon eddies Add jon eddies to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

RE: airbrush out the cigs... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jon eddies
Jiminy, that article reminded me of the Phil Keaggy tune on Sunday's Child, Big Eraser.

Great song! Cool

10-03-2008 16:24 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
jparker jparker is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 04-23-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by jparker
agreed on the artwork Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah, when things get re-released and the artwork gets changed i always get annoyed. the WORST had to be those M8 reissues with that gold square around the edges. who on earth thought that was a good idea? i haven't been on here in a little while, now after re-reading that I'm still loving my original idea of the Japanese Mini-LPs. I want to try to find Kansas - Monolith in that format too. The US CD still has that little "disc" logo on the cover and that just bugs the hell out of me.
01-08-2009 23:27 jparker is offline Send an Email to jparker Search for Posts by jparker Add jparker to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of jparker: jeff_parker@mac.com
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

At one point they wanted to do something far worse than that... they wanted a border of "M8s" all the way around the cover. Roll Eyes At least that was one thing that was corrected before manufacturing.. sometimes crap like that would be done right before it headed to the manufacturer and without approval of anyone connected to the bands. It was so hard to keep them from just ruining everything...

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
01-09-2009 00:12 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

I really like the mini album version of CD's, because I love vinyl. I like CD's in this format better than any other. An Alarma Chronicles set like that would be excellent.

BTW, I have seen M8 discs with the M8 border all the way around. Whoever did their design stuff pretty much had no clue. See the design work on the LRRH reissue. Did they have any more fonts besides Arial and Times New Roman?

01-09-2009 10:03 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Anything good that came out of them in terms of artwork came from Brian Heydn... and in some cases, it was like pulling teeth to get them to leave it alone. In some cases, they would monkey with stuff without anyone knowing it and we'd see it for the first time when it arrived from the manufacturer.

In the case of LRRH... I don't know who did what. We heard that it might be rereleased, and then it showed up on our doorstep. It was really a disaster in every way. I know a few people liked it just because they had missed that album.. but, its such a shame that this was the version they had to own.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
01-09-2009 10:28 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Yeah... I was much happier when I found the Bai version of LRRH on CD.

01-09-2009 12:16 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » Alarma Chronicles thoughts and dreams.

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH