Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » the truth about Ed » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page the truth about Ed
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

the truth about Ed Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i never liked him -- HAHA! i never get tired of that! HAHAHA...ha ...(cough)

the actual truth is that i really do know that Greg is the most under-rated muscian on the planet, and i also know that Terry really is in the same league with Bob Dylan as a song-writer and i'll fist-fight anyone who disagrees -- and as i mentioned on the re-issue, i consider myself very fortunate to have ever landed in DA.

but there's something that's never been mentioned about ED.

as a bass player, i'm intimately aware of how Ed plays the drums -- what people don't know is that somewhere in the late 80's, after darn floor, ed had some new inspiration or something, and for whatever reason, began to beat the living daylights out of his drums.

a drummer has to hit HARD to make it sound right. although he still paid attention to dynamics in a song, when the song needed to be STRONG, Ed began to beat it into submission. especially in a LIVE setting -- Ed just beat the crap out of it -- very inspiring for a bass player.

i've played with heavy-hitters and Ed matches all of them. seriously, NO ONE hits harder and lays it down any heavier. he was really inspiring to me and i'm sure, also, to Terry And Greg.
12-19-2008 14:39 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

thankfully, Ed did not meet the same demise as Bonzo. listened to "In My Time of Dying" today and he sure was beating the crap out of his drums.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
12-19-2008 15:54 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

maybe ed took a vacation after dfbb and came back revived and inspired?

-------------

Ed Takes A Vacation
from the album "Let's Spin!"
Words by Camarillo Eddy, Music by Camarillo Eddy, Gene Pool, Berger Roy Al
©1988 Broken Songs

He's just another joe who works too hard
loves his wife and four kids
gotta house and a yard
He gets a little touchy now -- he's on overload
He needs to get away
with a couple weeks pay
just to lighten his load

(Chorus)
When Ed takes a vacation (the world goes 'round)
When Ed takes a vacation (we're still on track)
When Ed takes a vacation (we won't shut down)
but we'll feel a whole lot better when Ed gets back

He finds it difficult to leave his work behind
He's wearin' his lab coat
to go walkin' through the pines
He's got the Gideon bible in the hotel room
He prays, then he reads
cos' he really believes
he'll be goin' home soon

(Chorus)
When Ed takes a vacation (the world goes 'round)
When Ed takes a vacation (we're still on track)
When Ed takes a vacation (we won't shut down)
but we'll feel a whole lot better wehn Ed has. . .

fun fun fun, summer means fun
He'll be out there havin' fun
in the warm California sun
It's a little bit o' heaven when you're out there havin' fun

Ed is just an ordinary guy
People always underrate him
but they do appreciate him
by and by
Ed loves his mom and apple pie
He's honest and he's upright
but perhaps a little uptight
that is why

We'll send him on his way
where the flowers and the palm trees sway all day
With his camera and his flower lei
he'll be thinkin' 'bout work
'cos he's a working jerk
and that's all he thinks about all day
hey yeah

oo la la la oo la la la oo la la la, etc.
oo oh lay

It's not that easy to be an Everyman
To be good and decent
and do the best you can
But that's our Ed, and this here is his song
So we'll give a big "YO"
to the hard workin' joes
who keep this country strong

Now if you think of Ed today
You gotta keep him in your prayers
cos' the Ed's of this world
are something rare

(Chorus)

(Finale)
fun fun fun summer means fun
oo la la la oo la la la oo la la la oo la la la
oo oh lay
EEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
12-19-2008 15:57 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

All of DA is underrated.

Terry is a genius songwriter and visionary (that's understated). It seems like there's only 20,000 people who even know who he is.

Greg... after listening to Darn Floor - Big Bite over and over again since I got it a week and a half ago, all I can say is "WOW!!" He is amazingly creative with the guitar. And that's not even going into the different instruments he plays.
At one point I thought Jerry was DA's best guitarist (and I still like Jerry's guitar playing), but Greg's creativity and originality is hard for anyone to match.

Tim is one of the best bass players...period. Why this guy isn't booked year round is beyond my imagination. Berger, on the other hand, well....

I never liked Ed.
Actually, Ed's drumming reminds me of Ringo Starr or Dennis Wilson (it could just be my imagination). He's never the main event (e.g. Neil Peart), but he adds a level of interest and creativity that lands well on the ear.

So you have four guys that should all be well known making big $$ for themselves.

Even though that's not the life God marked out, DA has been a big blessing for those who do know them and their music.

Thanks, Tim! Pass along a thanks to Terry, Greg and Ed for me!

12-19-2008 16:06 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Ed is a Charlie Watts but, you know, that's okay.
12-19-2008 17:35 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

quote:
Ed is a Charlie Watts but, you know, that's okay.

OK, yeah, that sounds right.

12-19-2008 23:26 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » the truth about Ed

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH