Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Songs of the Heart and Cake » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Songs of the Heart and Cake
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Songs of the Heart and Cake Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My wife thinks the album Songs of the Heart sounds somewhat like Cake's 1996 album Fashion Nugget. I think it may have more to do with Terry Taylors use of "spoken vocals" on some of the songs (a trademark of Cake) and the use of horns on Get Into the Bus, Aloha (Cake uses the trumpet liberally) more than anything else. Musically speaking, I can't help but hear bits--small bits--of Songs of the Heart in Fashion Nugget. Lyrically speaking, there's not much similar, with perhaps the reference to Frank Sinatra on both albums the exception.
I like to note that Songs of the Heart was released one year before Fashion Nugget, and I wonder if anyone in Cake listened to the Daniel Amos album prior to recording their record. I don't believe they've ever listed DA as an influence, but if I didn't know, I'd guess DA and Songs of the Heart was an influence.
Maybe it is just a case of two bands playing a similar style in the same time period and Cake had never heard of Daniel Amos and Terry Taylor had never listened to Cake.
Or, maybe someone in Cake really likes DA and Songs of the Heart.

Any comments?

08-06-2008 20:16 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I guess I can see a loose connection... kind of... but... for the most part no.

Cake is really their own deal. I love Cake, they are a great band.

DA is kind of their own deal too.

That would be the main thing they have in common to my ear.

Man, gotta dig out some Cake Cds.

08-06-2008 20:41 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Thread Starter Thread Started by Ritchie_az
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Listen to Songs of the Heart, then listen to Fashion Nugget. I think you'll hear some similarities. But, you're right, they're both kind of "their own deal." Even so, I do hear a little SotH in Fashion Nugget, so I wonder if it's coincidence or influence. My guess is coincidence, but I get to wondering....

08-06-2008 20:57 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

I just gave a copy of SotH to a co-worker (who has never listened to DA) and he just said, "It's like a cross between Cake and Elvis Costello." And I didn't put the idea into his head, either. (It's kind of funny that he made the observation).
Anyway, Brian, he listened to SotH (once through) and really likes it. We may have a new DA fan here! Yea!

Happy

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ritchie_az: 08-06-2008 21:13.

08-06-2008 21:09 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Lyrically speaking, there's not much similar, with perhaps the reference to Frank Sinatra on both albums the exception.

From the DA song LoveLand:
We'll put Sinatra on--
(something that speaks the truth)--
Ignore the fears that lurk
Like snipers on the roof

From the Cake song Frank Sinatra:
While Frank Sinatra sings "Stormy Weather"
The flies and spiders get along together
Cobwebs fall on an old skipping record

08-06-2008 22:51 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Funny enough, I listened to SoTH today, on my way to and from work.
Cool

08-07-2008 00:38 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
I just gave a copy of SotH to a co-worker (who has never listened to DA) and he just said, "It's like a cross between Cake and Elvis Costello." And I didn't put the idea into his head, either. (It's kind of funny that he made the observation).
Anyway, Brian, he listened to SotH (once through) and really likes it. We may have a new DA fan here! Yea!

Happy

Brian has taken his first step into a larger world. Pleased

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 08-07-2008 00:44.

08-07-2008 00:43 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Dr Rich, I'm afraid to know what that image is. What's a "matrix code emulator" anyway?

If you happen to have it available, play Cake's Fashion Nugget album. I think there are some similarities (musically). Overall, obviously, they are two different albums. I just think it's funny that my wife, referring to DA's SotH, said, "They sound like Cake," (Fashion Nugget is one of her favorite albums from her High School days) and my coworker, who first heard DA yesterday after being given SotH, said, "It's like a cross between Cake and Elvis Costello."
And DA covered Can't Take My Eye's Off of You and Cake covered I Will Survive, both of which are songs that seem strange for a rock band to play.
Personally, I think the similarities are small--yet, I can still hear them.
Like I said before, I like to point out that SotH came out a year before Fashion Nugget.
So, is it coincidence or influence?

08-07-2008 10:57 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

i dont do cake

(or eat it either)

I have a donut hole - if you please Big Grin

to me ialarma! is more like early costello.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
08-07-2008 12:02 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
I have a donut hole - if you please

Shocked

Is it chocolate glazed?

Shocked Shocked Shocked

08-07-2008 12:38 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Songs of the Heart and Cake

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH