Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » TST in the Oct. 2009 PC Gamer » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page TST in the Oct. 2009 PC Gamer
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

TST in the Oct. 2009 PC Gamer Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

PC Gamer for October 2009 has an article written by Jonathan Coulton, composer and geek icon, in which he says some nice things about Terry Scott Taylor's work on Skullmonkeys.

"I had to look up Skullmonkeys on the internet just now, because even though I spent many hours playing it back in 1998, I can barely remember anything about the game.... The only thing I do remember is the bonus room--and that's because of the song.

It was called "The Li'l Bonus Room" and it was composed by Terry Scott Taylor.... The thing that amazed me was that it was an actual song: It had lyrics, it was sung, and it was played on acoustic guitar. I had never heard anything like it in a game. I actually saved right before the bonus room so I could quickly get in there and listen to it over and over. I can still sing it all the way through.

That experience was a big inspiration to me when I wrote "Still Alive" for Portal. Without Terry's example, the idea that we were going to cram what was essentially a musical theater number into a videogame would have felt even crazier than it did. After all, most of the history of game music has been about creating a kind of film score to accompany the story and enhance the mood. This is not to say that it's easy or unimportant.... but the idea that music can play a different role in games is still relatively new."

Edit: Fixed a typo.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Jimmy Brown: 09-06-2009 12:26.

09-03-2009 18:31 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Leave it to Terry to be forward thinking even in a video game soundtrack.

09-03-2009 19:36 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool deal. THanks for alerting us to that. Happy

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
09-03-2009 19:50 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by Jimmy Brown
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You're welcome. I was pretty sure y'all would want to know. Happy
09-04-2009 22:59 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

Now, if Terry and Jonathan worked on a project together, that would be the apotheosis of cool...
09-05-2009 00:48 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » TST in the Oct. 2009 PC Gamer

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH