Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Fearful Symmetry X-Files Episode » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Fearful Symmetry X-Files Episode
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Lamp Fearful Symmetry X-Files Episode Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm just watching the X-Files episode from Season Two called Fearful Symmetry. Now I know it is a William Blake poem. I also know that the X-Files episodes often make references to other things. For example, the names Karen and Linford from Over The Rhine are used in an episode since the writers or Chris Carter are fans of OTR.

However, in watching this episode of Fearful Symmetry I have got to believe that someone was a fan of Daniel Amos. The title of the episode IS Fearful Symmetry and the episode is about a gorilla that knows sign language. This seems beyond coincidence.

Here are a couple of summaries of the episode found from an internet episode guide:

"Invisible animals are rampaging through town, destroying property and trampling a federal employee. On arriving in town, the agents begin their search at a nearby zoo with the distinction of never being the site of live birth. Whether that's because as Mulder suspects, Aliens are 'harvesting'' the young or, as Scully insists, an animal rights group determination to close down the zoo, the only reliable witness appears to be a hand-signing gorilla named Sophie. "

Does anyone else remember this episode and does anyone know for certain if there is a link between X-Files and Daniel Amos?

03-02-2008 20:15 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My money's on coincidence. Ain't no way there would be an X-Files referencing DA/SE without also having a guest appearance from Berger.
03-02-2008 20:25 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

Shocked RE: Fearful Symmetry X-Files Episode Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i seriously doubt it, but just added season 2, disk 5 to netflix queue! Big Grin

bobd

03-02-2008 20:42 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

RE: Fearful Symmetry X-Files Episode Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My recollection of that particular episode is vague - my feeling is that it was only "meh!" to begin with, but DA surely wasn't the first association I made with it.

Y'know, it's sad - I just can't go back to the X-Files with a positive attitude after the unbroken downward trajectory that defined the quality of the final 4 seasons. Like a fool, I hung in there 'til the bitter end, positive it was bound to get better. It's wasted hours of my life I'll never get back again. Frown
03-02-2008 23:38 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Space Ghost
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-228.jpg

Registration Date: 02-07-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well, you know, being the resident weirdo dork around here, I gotta say it...

Sync the album with the episode and see what happens. Might be interesting...

Makes the color of right

Gravity and distance
Change the passage of light
Gravity and distance
Change the color of right

03-03-2008 02:10 Space Ghost is offline Send an Email to Space Ghost Search for Posts by Space Ghost Add Space Ghost to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Thread Starter Thread Started by Mark
RE: Fearful Symmetry X-Files Episode Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
My recollection of that particular episode is vague - my feeling is that it was only "meh!" to begin with,

I do not think it is one of the better episodes. I just remember reading a few years ago that there were a lot of Christians on the staff who liked "fringe" Christian music and used references in the episodes.

03-03-2008 07:26 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Drtuddle
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-509.jpg

Registration Date: 03-27-2002

wakachiwaka,

quote:
It's wasted hours of my life I'll never get back again.

You talking about LOST or the X-Files?

03-03-2008 08:26 Drtuddle is offline Send an Email to Drtuddle Homepage of Drtuddle Search for Posts by Drtuddle Add Drtuddle to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

I love the X-Files. I will have to watch that episode again! Pleased

03-03-2008 14:46 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

Even the worst X-files episode is better than most of the dreck on TV nowadays.

03-03-2008 14:54 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Drtuddle
wakachiwaka,

quote:
It's wasted hours of my life I'll never get back again.

You talking about LOST or the X-Files?

to the moon, Alice Mad

03-05-2008 06:46 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
clipon clipon is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 10-05-2007

Chris Carter has a strong sense of spirituality. I dont know if hes a christian or not but i always thought the Scully's faith story arc was interesting - where she struggled with her own spirituality and then at some point in the series would drop in random references to going to Mass or church.

BTW - X-Files 2 IS being shot up here in Vancouver as we speak. Maybe DA can get on the soundtrack?
03-05-2008 12:28 clipon is offline Homepage of clipon Search for Posts by clipon Add clipon to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Thread Starter Thread Started by Mark

X-Files 2 is due out this summer, I think in July.

When the X-Files was on there was a message board and the religious aspect of the show was discussed a lot. I remember even a few saying that they thought Chris Carter was using the show to promote Christianity and that he used things from the Bible.

Of course as I already said that are many hidden references in the show. I watched another episode prior to Fearful Symmetry and one of the characters was named Ambrose Chapel. I had to tell my daughter that the name was a reference to the Ambrose Chapel in the Alfred Hitchcok movie The Man Who Knew Too Much. It's funny, because in the Alfred Hitchcock movie Jimmy Stewart's son is kidnapped and he is given the name Ambrose Chapel. He tries to look up the name in the telephone book as if it is a person's name. After threatening a man by the name he finds in the telephone book, he realizes he has the wrong man and that Ambrose Chapel is a real Chapel, a building. So having Ambrose Chapel in the X-Files be a person is funny. It's the opposite.

03-05-2008 16:20 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
clipon clipon is a male
Luteous Llama

apparently Carter/Spotnik/Duchovony/Anderson flew to some comic convention and always said he thought of the show as being about 'the search for God', not about religion so much, but about the human impulse toward the divine.
03-05-2008 20:33 clipon is offline Homepage of clipon Search for Posts by clipon Add clipon to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by clipon
apparently Carter/Spotnik/Duchovony/Anderson flew to some comic convention and always said he thought of the show as being about 'the search for God', not about religion so much, but about the human impulse toward the divine.

"...the human impulse toward the divine."

Sounds like religion to me! Pleased

03-05-2008 20:59 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
clipon clipon is a male
Luteous Llama

I meant he was not seeking to speak out about the truth of any one religion. Instead his interest is in that impulse toward transcendence that is in us, the 'God behind our God'.
03-09-2008 23:32 clipon is offline Homepage of clipon Search for Posts by clipon Add clipon to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Fair enough.

03-10-2008 06:54 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
jon eddies jon eddies is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 10-29-2007

another x-files episode Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I remember an episode where there was a snake handler type of charismatic pastor and a feel good all about love and peace type of pastor at odds with each other over the snake handlers daughter. Throughout the episode it looks like the charismatic guy is the killer and then in the end the feel good pastor turns out to be the Devil, with a snake tail and everything. I know this is a bad recollection but I remember it being pretty interesting.
03-11-2008 22:15 jon eddies is offline Send an Email to jon eddies Search for Posts by jon eddies Add jon eddies to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Yup. It was a great show because nothing was as it seemed. Pleased

03-12-2008 06:34 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Always good to see you Jon! Cool

03-12-2008 06:35 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
clipon clipon is a male
Luteous Llama

X-Files2 shooting in Vancouver. Its awesome! Every once in awhile their will be a news story about David Duchovony or something.

Who do we petition to get a DA song on the soundtrack?
03-13-2008 18:34 clipon is offline Homepage of clipon Search for Posts by clipon Add clipon to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Fearful Symmetry X-Files Episode

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH