Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » more lost thought on Doppelganger. » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page more lost thought on Doppelganger.
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

more lost thought on Doppelganger. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have been thinking about this one a lot. It may not be the best (dfbb & MBD tie for first on my list, it is my favorite after those two, though I lump it in with the bookset) but DG is the most important DA album.

It seems the main theme in this one is idolatry. The false image we put on ourselves and on God. The mask if you will. The mask is not an utter lie, but a distortion of the truth. We make the mask to show what we want others to see of ourselves and what we want to see of God, what we are comfortable with. I think everyone does this to a certain extent.

So many of the songs are about what is "real." What is really us and what is on the mask. In "real girls" Terry asks "what makes a real life?" To me that is the heart of that song, and of the album.

The album also deals with dualities (sp?) that we must have in this life. Good & Bad, life & death, female & male, up & down, darkness & light, etc... The closer we are to Christ, the more they merge into one truth.

I love this record.

any thoughts?

01-07-2003 18:05 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Thread Starter Thread Started by Dr Rich
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

my thread, back on top! Tongue

01-07-2003 18:12 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Incomplete...... Big Grin

01-07-2003 18:21 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

to me it's kinda like the "outdoor elvis" cd is really doppleganger part 2.

so many great songs and thoughts that get you thinking....

01-07-2003 18:23 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

It's brilliant.

01-07-2003 19:05 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

"monogrammed polygraph kit, she wants to buy two"

01-07-2003 19:52 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

It is great!

01-08-2003 06:01 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Adjectives Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

DG is one of those I have to be in the right mood to spin. Initially it was hard for me to get over the hump. I loved Alarma for it's rapid-fire lyrics and new-wave music; should have known better not to expect something similar. A few descriptive adjectives for me:

- introspective
- moody
- dark
- challenging
- prophetic
- original
- just plain weird at times

And yes, besides the obvious duality theme, idolatry is a clear target in many of the tunes.

01-08-2003 07:47 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Pfiagra
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-137.jpg

Registration Date: 04-26-2002

Dualities Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

God Good - Devil Bad
Sun Hot - Snow Cold
Knife Sharp - Spoon Dull
Socks Stink - Flowers Don't

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
The album also deals with dualities (sp?) that we must have in this life. Good & Bad, life & death, female & male, up & down, darkness & light, etc... The closer we are to Christ, the more they merge into one truth.

01-08-2003 14:28 Pfiagra is offline Send an Email to Pfiagra Search for Posts by Pfiagra Add Pfiagra to your Buddy List
Author of the Post Author of the Post is a male
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

quote:
Originally posted by Pfiagra
God Good - Devil Bad
Sun Hot - Snow Cold
Knife Sharp - Spoon Dull
Socks Stink - Flowers Don't

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich

Or...

DA rocks - the Tuxedo Clad Megastar glows with warmth

-- aotp
01-08-2003 15:11 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by wes berlin
to me it's kinda like the "outdoor elvis" cd is really doppleganger part 2.

so many great songs and thoughts that get you thinking....

yeh, dark and funny, with a lot of ideas stuffed into one record.

01-08-2003 16:33 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
Incomplete...... Big Grin

I'm from MN and don't mind the country stuff!

01-08-2003 16:34 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

I'm from California, and I don't really like the country stuff, but I wouldn't be caught without it.

01-08-2003 16:37 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe

And yes, besides the obvious duality theme, idolatry is a clear target in many of the tunes.

It seems that Terry has tied theses two themes together, where the duality is a form idolatry and vice-versa. It's these two themes which seem to be in "Real Girls", "Mall all over the world" and even "Autographs for the sick" in some strange way.

Is it just me, or does "Real Girls" have a kind of "James Bond Theme" type intro?

01-08-2003 16:38 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Heck.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

...I can pick it out on pretty much every song.... no wait, I've got it on, lemme check.... yep, the only one where you'd even have to work for it is "Do Big Boys Cry? (& even then, idolatry of/bondage to "the masculine image" is pretty palpable).

Dang, now I forgot the reason I was gonna post on this thread in the first place. But this one works pretty well too. Smile

Oh yeah, the preference thing.... <<<puts on pretentious hat>>> .... Definitely agree that this is the most "important" of the four (more idolatry?), and probably the second-most flat-out listenable. Vox Humana, arguably the least "important," is easily the most listenable -- it may not always whack you upside the head, but just TRY not to whistle.... Alarma is cool but you can hear them still in the process of "getting it," & Fearful Symmetry starts incredibly & ends almost equally so but has holes you can drive a truck through in the middle.... no wonder Terry had to write Darn Floor to apologize for it.... Big Grin

Anyway, Doppelganger gets my vote for the whole package. I think it's groovy. Smile

10 minutes later: nada, the more I think about it, the more I think that not only is it a central theme (but not "the" Smile ) of DA's music, but of rock-and-roll in general (although most of THAT is simply glorifying in said idolatry).... OUCH! IT HURTS AGAIN!!! Shocked

P.S. And for what it's worth, I always thought "Sleep, Silent Child" was way more Bond-ish....

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
01-09-2003 07:38 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by carl
10 minutes later: nada, the more I think about it, the more I think that not only is it a central theme (but not "the" Smile ) of DA's music, but of rock-and-roll in general (although most of THAT is simply glorifying in said idolatry).... OUCH! IT HURTS AGAIN!!! Shocked

P.S. And for what it's worth, I always thought "Sleep, Silent Child" was way more Bond-ish....

Yeah... what is real? The pretty lies theme too goes back to "I love you #19"

The more I think about real girls, it occurs to me it has more of a "Hart to Hart" vibe than a "Bond-ish" feel.

01-09-2003 15:37 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

There are no holes in Fearful SymmetryEvil Drew Barrymore was in a movie called Doppleganger.

01-09-2003 18:45 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
There are no holes in Fearful SymmetryEvil Drew Barrymore was in a movie called Doppleganger.

...and there are holes in Drew Barrymore?

7?

01-10-2003 16:49 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

Dr. Rich is in the gutter again.

01-10-2003 17:08 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Way down there

01-10-2003 17:22 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » more lost thought on Doppelganger.

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH