Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Terry Taylor and Brian Wilson » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Terry Taylor and Brian Wilson
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
chadzwo chadzwo is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 01-21-2004

Terry Taylor and Brian Wilson Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I am trying to make a mix tape with songs *clearly* influenced by Brian Wilson. I need help from this board with the following:

1. Songs from Littlebig that most sound like Brian Wilson - in particular Pet Sounds era (as well as a little bit before and after: Today/Summer Days, Summer Nights, Good Vibrations, Heroes and Villians, Smile).

2. Songs by Daniel Amos/Terry Taylor in general with the above mentioned sound.

I choose this period because I want songs with good melodies *and* great arrangements.

I am not looking for: the early surf/car sound, nor am I looking for cover songs.

If the songs are in the "Don't Worry Baby" or "Surfer Girl" vain, then a pre-Pet Sounds vibe would be great!

I know I've heard stuff by Terry that fits this description, just can't remember what songs.

Please include the album on which the songs can be found.

Also - if you can think of any other "CCM" artists with a similar sound that would be great (I am already aware of Smile, Smiley Smile, Jesus Loves You Brian Wilson, etc. by Mike Roe/77's/Lost Dogs).

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Chad
01-21-2004 22:01 chadzwo is offline Send an Email to chadzwo Search for Posts by chadzwo Add chadzwo to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Soon from OUr World Favorite Hits
01-22-2004 01:15 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-236.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: Silicon Valley: prime real estate for a terrorist dirty bomb hit

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Regarding Brian Wilson's/Beach Boys' influence on Terry's writing, I think it would be pretty subliminal. Certainly not as overt as The Beatles influence on Motorcycle.

I can't think of anything but I'm only real familiar with Terry's music from Vox Humana on, maybe backing vocal arrangements on a song or something....

(Does Mike Row's Jesus Loves You Brian Wilson from The Lost Dogs' Little Red Riding Hood count?)

--Peter Jackson quoting J. R. R. Tolkien
01-22-2004 02:25 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

did you think of
Only One

"The Miracle Faith Prickly Heat Telethon of Love"
I think that has a Wilson flavor- and not really "surf"
Its also on Shirley, Goodness.....

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
01-22-2004 07:44 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

"Only one"

I would put in the "Dont worry Baby" catagory.....

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
01-22-2004 07:45 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"The Tale You Told"

And, if you don't mind a perverse twist on the Boys that sounds nothing like them, "Endless Summer"....

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
01-23-2004 08:32 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-236.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: Silicon Valley: prime real estate for a terrorist dirty bomb hit

When Ed Takes A Vacation! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

-you know, that "in the warm California sun" bit!
Big Grin
Cool
Roll Eyes

--Peter Jackson quoting J. R. R. Tolkien
01-24-2004 02:04 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
You Gotta Be There
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
"Only one"

I would put in the "Dont worry Baby" catagory.....

"Soon" is definitely in the "Don't Worry Baby" category also.
"Endless Summer Part 2" on Surfonic Water Revival, is very similar to "The Warmth of the Sun".
01-26-2004 08:25
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

I'm listening to "As Long As I Live" right now and if this isn't a Brian Wilson-inspired tune, I don't know what is...

The biggest difference between this and a Beach Boys song is that the guitar line wasn't stolen from a Chuck Berry record!

01-30-2004 09:45 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Terry Taylor and Brian Wilson

I don't think they've ever dated Red Face

01-30-2004 11:58 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by BigDork
Terry Taylor and Brian Wilson

I don't think they've ever dated Red Face

Rar! Tongue

01-30-2004 15:53 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The bridge of "Banquet at the World's End" (& since Motorcycle's DA's XTC album and they're quite the Beach Boyheads as well, I may be back to add a few more before I'm done tracking through....

....hmmm.... "Wonderful" might be stretching it, but I don't think "So Long" or "Noelle" would be....)

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 02-02-2004 08:02.

02-02-2004 07:36 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Terry Taylor and Brian Wilson

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH