Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » the old cornerstone site... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page the old cornerstone site...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

the old cornerstone site... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Indulge me here....

The other day my wife had a bunch of friends over and being the kind husband that I am, I left them the house and decided to take a drive and have a cigar. I headed north, taking roads I was fairly unfamiliar with, and after about an hour or so came to an intersection directly south of the old Cornerstone festival site. I pass the grounds going a different route at least 5 times a year, but this time it just struck me differently, maybe because I didn't expect to see it. It's pretty much the same as it was in the 80's. All the sheds are still there, the big grassy area where the main-stage was set up. Really the big changes are that everything around it has grown up. More houses, places to eat, a mini-mall, gas stations, wider roads, etc. But the grounds are pretty much the same.

So I pulled up and got to thinking about those metal sheds and the music that once was played there. Adam Again, the Choir, LSU....and on the (if you compare it to now) tiny main-stage with the 77's, Steve Taylor, DA. Seeing the Throes play the "swine stage" for their first ever Cornerstone appearance. Great memories....and they go on and on.

It made me really miss those days. In light of recent festival discussions, it made me miss them even more. For the record, I don't think the current festival changes or even the current direction is an intentional plot to phase out the past....it's just that the current direction isn't something that overall really interests me anymore. I think maybe more than anything, I've changed. Not in the generic "your older now and don't relate" sense. But in the, "I'm older now and don't relate to the current spiritual, musical, or economical (specifically all the non-music crap sold in the tents, corporate sponsors, etc.) direction the fest has taken. It just seems more and more like "big business" to me. Like a "mega church" that meets once a year. I can't handle a mega church that meets once a week, much less once a year....because inevitably, people get left out. Things typically change for the majority, and the minority are often left wondering where they fit in. I guess it just bums me out because I remember the fest feeling like "home" when it was (seemingly) geared for the minority.

So as I sat there looking at the old festival grounds thinking about all this, I decided I really need a break from the festival. If anything, thinking about this really strengthened my resolve with the label to continue in the support of the artists I care about. And there are more than the few I've had the honor of serving.

In closing, I'm not really sure why I've shared all this...but free country and all, I figured I would. I think mostly because it was on my mind and heart and I figured some of you would relate...if not, no big deal. At any rate, for those keeping score, watch for label announcements in the next month or so....this is gearing up to be a cool year for lo-fidelity.

all my best.

jeffrey k.

01-17-2004 00:33 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Sounds like an epiphany only us older people seem to appreciate.

The cigar bit sounded good too.

As to your label, that's a thing to be proud of. I've got most of what you've released, and I've been pleased, more than pleased with the result.

01-17-2004 00:38 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Commander Cote
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Jeffrey
Yeah, I was at the first and the third Cornenrstone, and, things have really changed.
I was at a local Christian book store the other day, just because someone had given me a gift certificate. Man I spent about 45 minutes to an hour trying to find some music that I'd be interested in. I used to be up on who's who here, and now, everyone and their brother has a band, a lot of them sound a like, or their jumping on the "Hey let's do a worship cd" bandwagon. Now don't get me wrong I think worship music is great, but it seems like we're being flooded with it, and I wonder what percent of it is real led of the Lord, and how much is "Let's make some money". Thank you Jeff for having your label, a place I know I can expect, and appreciate. I think I'm starting to ramble......

God Bless
Commander

P.S. Are you or are you not going to be at Cornerstone? If so let's have lunch.
01-17-2004 11:03 Commander Cote is offline Send an Email to Commander Cote Search for Posts by Commander Cote Add Commander Cote to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Commander Cote
Now don't get me wrong I think worship music is great, but it seems like we're being flooded with it, and I wonder what percent of it is real led of the Lord, and how much is "Let's make some money".

I don't think you have to be much of a cynic to believe that "Let's make some money" is a major force in that "Let's make a worship album" choice.

01-17-2004 14:58 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by jeffrey k.

quote:
Originally posted by Commander Cote
P.S. Are you or are you not going to be at Cornerstone?

I doubt it. There would have to be some specific lo-fidelity release relating to a band at the festival in order for me to go, and at this point everything is being planned for different times this year.

jeffrey k.

01-19-2004 10:08 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

Question does anyone . . . Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

does anyone have or know of a complete list on the web of artist's from Cornerstone's history ?

I could write a Book, but I forget all the names dates etc.

I will say that my Greatest Music moment happened at Cornerstone '88 (I think?)
it was Charlie Peacock at a side stage, it was a
"Whole Lot Different" a whole lot the same...

I would say that is the most memorable concert I have ever been to...

it was unexpected, it was strange, it was real...
I know it is a old cliché but, God's presence was tangible...
I could feel it, touch it, almost taste it...

DaLe

01-19-2004 11:12 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

RE: does anyone . . . Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Was that the one where Charlie just kept on playing? I remember the first time I saw Charlie at C-Stone, he start about 10:00 or so and went for a few hours. It was an awesome show.

One of my favorite C-Stone memories is DA in the mid eighties. Maybe 87 - They opened with the Beatles' Revolution. During the set, Terry stayed at the mic, while the others led a conga line outside the building. Fun memories.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by sprinklerhead: 01-19-2004 11:29.

01-19-2004 11:25 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Another favorite memory is from the impromptu stage. I saw this Asian guy with a violin singing "The yellow man ain't got no soul."

C-Stone might be changing but, I bet you wouldn't find something like that at Creation.

01-19-2004 11:39 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

off the top-
I cant really relate- but at Sonshine 88
-it was fun to have Mylon Lefevre jump out on stage wearing a little boy outfit similar to red Skeltons "Junior" character - with his quite long hair in pigtails.

When I went in 2000 I think I saw at least 4 guys in the crowds dressed like that- and no one even lookin.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
01-19-2004 12:51 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

quote:
Originally posted by sprinklerhead
Another favorite memory is from the impromptu stage. I saw this Asian guy with a violin singing "The yellow man ain't got no soul."

C-Stone might be changing but, I bet you wouldn't find something like that at Creation.

maybe we could have DA or 77s do an impromptu stage show?

where is the impromptu stage ?
How big is the area around it ?
are there set hours... hmmm...

02-02-2004 15:53 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

i've never been there..... Mad

Cool
02-02-2004 16:11 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by DaLe

maybe we could have DA or 77s do an impromptu stage show?

where is the impromptu stage ?
How big is the area around it ?
are there set hours... hmmm...

Do they still do the impromptu stage? Even if they did, there are many problems with that idea. First, is that bands have to sign up for a time slot in the morning of the day they want to play. If you are late, you don't get a spot. Second, it is a small stage with minimal sound system. Last and worse yet, they don't get paid.

I know that Terry loves us but, I doubt he loves us that much.

02-02-2004 17:07 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

^ your right of course. . . Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

'probly be earthquake weather too...

02-02-2004 18:41 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » the old cornerstone site...

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH