Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » grassroots » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page grassroots
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

grassroots Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think grassroots is the only place I've really seen anything about Nineteen88...but that's the way grassroots is with their independents. They do alot to give them exposure. I wonder if having a new Terry Taylor album pushed by grassroots would cause a significant increase in sales?

Sorry all; I wasn't paying attention at all...hit the new thread button and totally posted this, meaning all the while for it to be a reply under the Nineteen88 thread. But I do love grassroots Pleased

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Eis: 10-06-2004 11:24.

10-06-2004 11:19 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

RE: grassroots Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Eis
I think grassroots is the only place I've really seen anything about Nineteen88...but that's the way grassroots is with their independents. They do alot to give them exposure. I wonder if having a new Terry Taylor album pushed by grassroots would cause a significant increase in sales?

Sorry all; I wasn't paying attention at all...hit the new thread button and totally posted this, meaning all the while for it to be a reply under the Nineteen88 thread. But I do love grassroots Pleased

Do yourself a favor and read this long list of messages posted by one of the former Grassroots artists that was screwed by the company when it recently went bankrupt:

http://www.calebcarruth.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=1057&t=1057

I have friends..several actually...that had records "promoted" by Grassroots and without exception every one of them is owed money from CD sales that Grassroots never paid. I've also been told that when the company went under the new owners even "claimed" product in the warehouse and refused to give any of it back to the artists themselves...even though it didn't actually belong to Grassroots. For some bands Grassroots was the only retail outlet for their music and I've read about and personally spoke to bands/artists who can't afford to re-press their own releases because they never got paid and can't get their product back from the company. It's the industry at it's worst. Terry would make more money selling CD's out of the trunk of his car than working with Grassroots. Trust me...there is nothing to love here.

jeffrey k.

10-06-2004 12:21 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It's an all too famliar story.

Sometimes I think, people assume that bands like these
have the potential to bring in lots of money. They assume
their favorite artist is rich and living off the flood of income
from their many releases. When often that is far from the
truth especially when they have been in situations like that
mentioned above.

There are a lot of little "Christian" companies, magazines,
or people that get into the business with varied degrees
of thinking they can both help the guys make money and
make a nice profit themselves. Some almost disguise their
real reason for being in business as a supportive measure
when in all actuality they just want to capitalize on the bands.
Like the example you mention above, we've all heard stories
like this.

It's kind of a double edged sword, the people that are not in
it for the money themselves but are really trying to be supportive
generally have a very hard time making ends meet....much
like the artist. And often just burn out or go under. You can't
keep a business going without reinvestment in the future of that
business. But you can't reinvest if you are trying to be supportive
to the artists today. Business and Ministry are, in my mind,
pretty contradictary. Its a very difficult balance. Put your trust
in money or God?

Not even getting into the fact that if you are really trying to help
an artist who is sharing a message, like these bands are, there
will be attacks by those who do not want the message spread.
The enemy is a crafty, slick, decieving serpent as we all remember.

Thats why the artists and the genuine supportive people
or entities need as much support and help as they can get
from fans and supporters.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
10-06-2004 13:37 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ben Ben is a male
Dignified Lazar

Registration Date: 06-15-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yep. Thats why I only buy Terry's stuff from the DA and Dogs website - only exception is when the websites don't have it available for sale.

I still think that the guys should sell as many copies of Imaginarium thru e-bay (at a higher price) as that market will bear, and then put the CD's up in the DA WebStore. Same with with any re-releases that are coming down the pike. Darn Floor sells for $40 to 80 on e-bay: Outdoor Elvis, Lets Spin, the first DA Album, Miracle Faith all cost me $$$$$$.

If you don't someone else will - see thread "Imaginarium again"

DA ROCKS and *ROCKS!!!!!!!

Ben
10-06-2004 15:21 Ben is offline Send an Email to Ben Search for Posts by Ben Add Ben to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

There are supportive labels such as Lo-Fidelty or Galaxy21,
Dan and Jeffrey have been extremely supportive in what
they do. Silent Planet was very supportive with Terry as well.
But unfortunately these guys are the exception, not the rule.
And thats basically what we were talking about in the post
above. These guys know very well that these bands are not
making it rich. And these labels I think fall into the catagory
we mentioned "the people that are not in it for the money
themselves but are really trying to be supportive generally
have a very hard time making ends meet themselves."

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
10-06-2004 15:30 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

"...good art always comes with pain..."

--Dennis Rich

10-06-2004 16:01 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Thread Starter Thread Started by Eis
Shocked wow Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Dang, I never knew that about grassroots. They always seemed to be advertising the independents like all get out... I found out long ago that the artists aren't making much money from what they do; heck, most of the guys in some of my favorite bands (DA and Choir among them) have some other job to support their families. I consider that unfortunate, and just a tad romantic. Although I'm sure it's not very romantic to live it. I too attempt to buy from the artist whenever possible, and from lo-fidelity and the like. I love lo-fidelity...thank you Jeffrey K., for Via Chicago, Mutt, Need to Bleed... great stuff these artists have chosen to release with you.
10-06-2004 16:04 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » grassroots

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH