Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » I just ordered Little, Big... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page I just ordered Little, Big...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Dr. Sticky Dr. Sticky is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

I just ordered Little, Big... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

...and i want it now!!!! I hate ordering cd's b/c i have no patience. the moment i hit send I want to hear it. Maybe there should be a passworded section that will allow you to hear the stuff you have bought. I don't know how that would work or if it would be possible...but i know that i want to hear it right now. i'm hoping it will come in before the weekend, but i doubt that. grrr!

I want to hear Molly is a Metaphor. Is it about his dog? My dog's name is Molly. My wife's name is Katie. His wife's name is Debbie. I have no kids. Terry has kids, but i don't know their names. I have a younger brother named Patrick. I also have a friend named Bill who turned my on to DA. I thank him for that.

My wife hates DA. She doesn't like Terry's voice. We were listening to the Fountains of Wayne's "Utopia Parkway" (fantastic disc) and she loves it. I told her that it totally reminded of DA around the "Alarma" period. Really catchy guitar solos, keyboards, well crafted pop songs. She didn't like that comment.
07-16-2002 09:54 Dr. Sticky is offline Send an Email to Dr. Sticky Homepage of Dr. Sticky Search for Posts by Dr. Sticky Add Dr. Sticky to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Molly is about his dog.
This CD is great.

Well worth the wait... Hang in there Wink

Little Big had a great pop sound (pet sounds/beach boys/BNL vibe Smile ) )

07-16-2002 10:28 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Molly is about his cat.

07-16-2002 11:12 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Tyler Durden Tyler Durden is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 04-11-2002
Location: Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is a spiritual war.

Disturbing Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Who THINKS THAT THIS SONG IS ABOUT A DOG?????????????
Molly Is A Metaphor

She's mercy in a fat cat's frame

"Relax," she purrs , (she can tell I'm down),

"Let's both take a nap."
then she brushes grace up against my arm
and crawls in to my lap

Purring is her secret prayer

way too common for this cat

Purring is her secret prayer

And when she's had a busy day
chasin' bugs and such
and when all she does is cry for food
and is indifferent to my touch

I have been disturbed by this song twice now...
1) Finding out that Terry is a cat person.
2)Seeing that DADLers are interpriting this song as about a dog.

Big Grin
07-17-2002 13:02 Tyler Durden is offline Send an Email to Tyler Durden Search for Posts by Tyler Durden Add Tyler Durden to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

Location: Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is a spiritual war.

Once again Terry creates an album of songs that are unlike anything else in the collection. These are very straight forward snapshots of his family and friends. Kinda like viewing someones's photo album done to music.

07-17-2002 13:05 Tyler Durden is offline Send an Email to Tyler Durden Search for Posts by Tyler Durden Add Tyler Durden to your Buddy List
Author of the Post Author of the Post is a male
A Hot Wolly

Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Durden
Once again Terry creates an album of songs that are unlike anything else in the collection. These are very straight forward snapshots of his family and friends. Kinda like viewing someones's photo album done to music.

This is why I keep getting his music. It amazes me how much TST's work inspires me to be more expressive in my own art. He's music hits me on a truly emotional level. You feel the music rather than just listen to it or even experience it.

-- The Author of the Post
07-17-2002 13:48 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Lucy Lucy is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 05-16-2002

I know what you mean Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey I totaly understand, as that is the way I am about most music, but especially terry's. I relate feelings to every song I know, but the cool/weird thing about Terry's music is that the feelings evoked from his work changes as my life changes, it moves me with me, almost a window into my own life. I feel that it is because Terry is a very personal writter, even when he's not writting about himself. That my friends is a sign of genious in my book. It's what puts Terry's writting on par with the likes of Dylan, Cash etc...

on another note, I heard Little,Big and I had a real strugle with it, I just can't get over the Beach Boys feel, as I really dislike the Boys. Dr Rich and I were discussing this and I think it is like this. I totaly respect Brian Wislons genious in arrangements, but the songs that he wrote were soooooooo derivative that I just can't bring myself to like it, which is weird as I love blues and most blues sounds the same as well, maybe it's the style he copies bugs me, or the fact that so many of songs could be the same with different lyrric(this is where it differs from Terry's boys like tunes). I don't know. I can listen to Pet Sounds and apreciate it, but anything else no way.
Wow I've rambled a little here. Oh well, I'm sure I've opened a can up here as I know that there are many Beach Boys fans out here, let me have it if you feel the need. I can take it.
Lucy/Jonny
07-17-2002 14:52 Lucy is offline Send an Email to Lucy Homepage of Lucy Search for Posts by Lucy Add Lucy to your Buddy List
A Hot Wolly

Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

No particular loyalties to the Beach Boys here, but I do like "Making God Smile." Some good stuff there.

I don't see much Beach Boys sound in LITTLE, big. So I guess we just see the album slightly differently.

07-17-2002 15:51 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
Molly is about his dog.
This CD is great.

Well worth the wait... Hang in there Wink

Little Big had a great pop sound (pet sounds/beach boys/BNL vibe Smile ) )

I meant his cat... he Dr Sticky threw me off talking about his dog I think Wink

07-18-2002 17:14 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

I don't hear Beach Boys when I listened to Little Big. I view it as a quirky, eclectic, fun, heartfelt project.

I am still freaking that Terry is a cat person it conflicts with his lost dog persona and cats are not as seemingly rock and roll unless you are talking about the stray cats ...stray cats lost dogs um but the whole cat rubbing up on the leg thing takes me back to when I was taking care of the neighbor's cats and one of them did that and gave me ringworm and I had the marks from that feline for years cats are a metaphor and a simile for icky virus spawnings and loose hair ending up in a cereal bowl and becoming a hairball all tangled up with my captain crunch bad vibes bad memories.
07-19-2002 14:31 Tyler Durden is offline Send an Email to Tyler Durden Search for Posts by Tyler Durden Add Tyler Durden to your Buddy List
jc
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

now I want it !!!!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

need to add LITTLE big to my list
of wants soon (I still dont have Real Men Cry...)
but as far as the BB's
I'll take Pet Sounds-and think it pretty much is everything you need in a BB record.
its got the harmonies they are known for, but the love songs and unsettling maturity of it cannot be equaled (plus I grew up with it..so God Only Knows and Would'nt it Be Nice are so special to me)
I wanna get my opinion in, but need a little BIG cash inflow to come first.
jImInY
07-19-2002 16:05 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
A Hot Wolly

quote:
Originally posted by jc

jImInY

You don't have Real Men Cry either? "Cain" is the best LD song, IMHO. It's the'r best use of harmonies. A haunting sound. Get it!!

07-19-2002 16:34 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Author of the Post
quote:
Originally posted by jc

jImInY

You don't have Real Men Cry either? "Cain" is the best LD song, IMHO. It's the'r best use of harmonies. A haunting sound. Get it!!

even better than "Eleanor it's raining now?"
I have a hard time believing that Wink

07-19-2002 16:49 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
A Hot Wolly

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:
Originally posted by Author of the Post
quote:
Originally posted by jc

jImInY

You don't have Real Men Cry either? "Cain" is the best LD song, IMHO. It's their best use of harmonies. A haunting sound. Get it!!

even better than "Eleanor it's raining now?"
I have a hard time believing that Wink

Hard to believe, but true! Check it out! "Cain" is classic. I was shocked when they didn't play it in concert when they came through St. Louis.

07-21-2002 16:26 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » I just ordered Little, Big...

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH