Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The flanster listens to First Disc » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The flanster listens to First Disc
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
flanfan
unregistered
The flanster listens to First Disc Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey, hey---

There are a bajillion thoughts in my head about this album right now, so I might have to post multiple times. I hope you like to hear about my first time experience.

First, this is some of the most incredible Christian music I've ever heard. It's very different. It's like it comes from somewhere completely different than anything else. Sometimes I felt like I was in some warped Bradburian carnival, "Faithful Street", "Extraordinary Ordinary Day". Why did I keep thinking of, "Something Wicked This Way Comes"?

Second, musically, it was very creative. I like on "Ribbons and Bows" how the two guitars and drums start off playing slightly off from one another and then blend into in great rhythym. Also, there were strange unidentified sounds and voices throughout the CD, which was weird, but somehow sounded very good.

Lyrically, of course, I was overwhelmed. Overwhelmed in the fact that I had to stop and think for awhile about each line. Por ejemplo, "God hides himself sometimes / inside a paradox." I've spent all day thinking about what that means.

Also, as a 'young person' (senior in HS), this CD seemed to speak to my generation. "Your long year" and "Who's who" seemed to capture being young in affluent America.

That's all I think of before 6th hour is over. Peace.

--<purity of heart is to will One Thing>---

---Flanfan

09-26-2002 14:05
Scrimshaw Nick Scrimshaw Nick is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-387.jpg

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Bad news, Mom. I promised my soul to the devil this afternoon." "Oh? That recently?" ~ Calvin and Hobbes

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

So glad ypu liked it. Yes, Terry and the boys do give quite a bit to think about.

Somebody cured my political apathy but I'm not allowed to say who it is in a signature on the Message Boards
09-26-2002 14:26 Scrimshaw Nick is offline Send an Email to Scrimshaw Nick Search for Posts by Scrimshaw Nick Add Scrimshaw Nick to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Scrimshaw Nick: piratescrimshaw
Michelle
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 03-16-2002

Congrats on your first DA experience! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've been a DA fan for 17 years now (as long as you've been alive maybe?), and I'm still as crazy about them as I was when I first heard them (Doppelganger album - you know, one of those big, black, vinyl discsWink )! Everything you've talked about in your review is right on the money. Keep on exploring their work -- they may challenge, surprise, or puzzle you at times, but they'll never disappoint or bore you! When I see a new fan that's less than half my age, I have hope for the band's future. You've made my day!
09-26-2002 15:40 Michelle is offline Send an Email to Michelle Search for Posts by Michelle Add Michelle to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

my first was darn floor-big bite.
it was a bit much for me.

buying FS helped me "get" dfbb.

09-26-2002 16:42 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

I'm 25 and I've been a fan for 25 years--beat that!

09-26-2002 18:41 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Extraordinary Ordinary Day Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This song for me is something special,
not that the rest of the album isn't but..
I like Buechner's thoughts on noticing the miracles
and God's work in the ordinary. And Terry captures
the thoughts very well.. I try when I have had a hard
day at the horrible factory I work in to walk outside
and look at the sky or watch birds flying and think about
God's work in front of me.. kind of puts the petty gripes
of the day into context. And refocuses me.

With each song on the album there is soooo much to think about. Author Of the Story is a truely amazing song too.

I could go on and on..

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
09-26-2002 22:13 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

its great to read your response flanfan. wishing you many happy listening hours ahead. its been 24 years for me.
09-26-2002 23:39 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Dr. Sticky Dr. Sticky is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Michelle
When I see a new fan that's less than half my age, I have hope for the band's future.

I've never thought about that before, but that's so true.

All this talk about MBD (and the intense rain we've been having) has put me in the mood to hear it again. I haven't listened to it in a few months (i'm bad--spank me) and i really to hear it now. Poo, it's at home.

It's great when an album can be a rainy-day album, a
sunny-day album and a night-time album all at once. That's the sign of a good album, it's always a good time for it.

YAY DA!

Rob
09-27-2002 08:23 Dr. Sticky is offline Send an Email to Dr. Sticky Homepage of Dr. Sticky Search for Posts by Dr. Sticky Add Dr. Sticky to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Author Of The Story is one of their best songs.

09-27-2002 23:14 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

quote:
Originally posted by audiori

With each song on the album there is soooo much to think about. Author Of the Story is a truely amazing song too.

I could go on and on..

What are you doing in a factory??????

09-30-2002 16:31 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
I'm 25 and I've been a fan for 25 years--beat that!

I am not sure I can work that one out.
Have you been in the army for 25 years as well?

09-30-2002 16:35 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:

I could go on and on..

It is a great disc. I played it in the van at work today twice and was blown away by it both times. "She has one foot on the ground, and one foot in the air." Wow.

I like the song "Nowhere is someplace" (or whatever it it.)
I have that on my tape copy of MBD and still can't figure out why it is not on MBD.

09-30-2002 16:38 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

I thought he was born in the Navy.......
quote:
have you been in the army for 25 years as well?

09-30-2002 16:51 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by brdhsnyrsoul
I thought he was born in the Navy.......
quote:
have you been in the army for 25 years as well?

Big Grin

09-30-2002 16:53 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:

I could go on and on..

It is a great disc. I played it in the van at work today twice and was blown away by it both times. "She has one foot on the ground, and one foot in the air." Wow.

I like the song "Nowhere is someplace" (or whatever it it.)
I have that on my tape copy of MBD and still can't figure out why it is not on MBD.

I absolutely loved that song!

10-01-2002 02:15 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
flanfan
unregistered
UPDATE Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well, I went to my local Christian music store and looked through their old stuff. I talked with the manager for awhile who was very knowledgable about CM, and we talked about DA, SE, TST, 77s, LD, etc... (hey, I'm learning all these neat, new abbr.s)

I bought Shotgun Angel (25th Anniversary), he said it was his favorite, and that seemed as good as any place to start. I also got a sampler from Silent Planet. He told me there were a lot of similar artists to TST on Silent Planet, so hey, why not?

I haven't listened to Shotgun Angel yet, but now I have plenty of music to last me for awhile.

(He also had a pile of Stonehill and Norman that I will have to dig through when I get more money...)

-FF
10-02-2002 22:13
Ubique Epoque

some folks complain about that m-8 version of SA, but I don't mind it.

10-03-2002 16:07 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

quote:

I've heard very bad things about it...
10-03-2002 19:29 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

depending on your musical prefrence.....see if he has "darn floor, big bite" it is a wonderful album with lyrical refrences to czeslaw milosz or "fearful symmetry", "doppelganger", "songs of the heart", "kalhoun"....well heck, get'em all. Smile

oh, don't forget "wonderama" by stonehill.

10-03-2002 21:27 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
flanfan
unregistered
don't leave me hangin' Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Gamgee
quote:

I've heard very bad things about it...

So... is someone going to explain m-8 to me and what's bad about my SA version?

-FF
10-03-2002 22:12
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The flanster listens to First Disc

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH