Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Tim, & everyone else: Divine Conspiracy » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Tim, & everyone else: Divine Conspiracy 2 Votes - Average Rating: 5.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Gabriel Syme Gabriel Syme is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-135.gif

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Tim, & everyone else: Divine Conspiracy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hm, that subject line didn't come out right. Anyway....

I've been reading The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard. Yesterday I was reading his chapter on the Beatitudes & it reminded me of "The Banquet at the World's End" from Motorcycle. I'm not suggesting it was an inspiration, since the song preceded it by a decade; I am suggesting that the ideas are similar.

The first time I heard the song, I was a bit uncomfortable with the way the song put on display such objects of derision, even as examples of God's blessing on them. I have since come to love the song as one of my very favorites. Willard believes that the Beatitudes do the same thing.

Basically he says that the Beatitudes are not a description of how we are trigger God's blessings (he calls it "salvation by attitude") nor descriptions of intrinsic blessing. He believes they are a description of the kingdom of the heavens coming to those whom the world considers outcast & low. God chooses to bless those who seem beyond blessing. Surrounded by the crowd seeking His healing & His teaching, Jesus declares that the kingdom is shown to be right here, right now, by the blessing that these can & have received.

What do y'all think?
11-08-2004 08:00 Gabriel Syme is offline Search for Posts by Gabriel Syme Add Gabriel Syme to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

RE: Tim, & everyone else: Divine Conspiracy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel Syme
The first time I heard the song, I was a bit uncomfortable with the way the song put on display such objects of derision, even as examples of God's blessing on them. I have since come to love the song as one of my very favorites. Willard believes that the Beatitudes do the same thing.

Objects of derision? Example please.

11-08-2004 09:17 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Thread Starter Thread Started by Gabriel Syme
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Derided by some, not by Terry Scott Taylor. Sorry to be unclear & obscure. Maybe "discrimination" would be a better word if it wasn't so over-used. Or "forgotten" or possibly "the avoided."

The outcasts of the world. The poor & the poorly dressed. The old. The mentally challenged. My high-school girlfriend with a hare-lip. The congenital quadruple amputee who was a class ahead of me. My coworker who stutters. "Blind men, sad men, dreamers with wishes, the paralytics, lunatics & the backstreet fringes...."
11-08-2004 10:32 Gabriel Syme is offline Search for Posts by Gabriel Syme Add Gabriel Syme to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thanks for clearing that up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Of course you see to me that is the whole point of the song! Tongue

The "cool kids" are too caught up in their own world.

I love the line "Leave us alone now, 'cuz hell feels like home now."

11-08-2004 11:26 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
eddie p eddie p is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 09-30-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I wish I could reply but I lent both of my copies out (one on cassette and one on cd) and presumably will never see them again. So without being able to closely scrutinize the song you're talking about I'll just say, "Yeah, whatever Dennis says." Don't let me down boy!

11-08-2004 12:35 eddie p is offline Send an Email to eddie p Search for Posts by eddie p Add eddie p to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

you could always buy the "When Everyone Wore Hats" Book Set! Pleased

11-08-2004 12:36 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Thread Starter Thread Started by Gabriel Syme
RE: Thanks for clearing that up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
Of course you see to me that is the whole point of the song!

Actually I got the point of the song; that's why the book reminded me of it. I mentioned my initial discomfort with it because Willard claims Jesus was doing the same thing in the Beatitudes, essentially saying, "See this poor man standing six feet from me? You think he's poor because God is displeased with him, but I say that the kingdom of heaven has come into his life today & blessed him despite his afflictions."

So I guess my question is, do you think it is the point of the Beatitudes--not to tell us how to be, but how God blesses the "unblessables" of the world?
11-08-2004 14:00 Gabriel Syme is offline Search for Posts by Gabriel Syme Add Gabriel Syme to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

My answer would be "Of course!" Pleased

Great thread by the way! Smile )

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 11-09-2004 15:08.

11-09-2004 15:07 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Tim, & everyone else: Divine Conspiracy

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH