Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » when Christian rock was street-level » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page when Christian rock was street-level
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Randy Carey Randy Carey is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 03-29-2002

when Christian rock was street-level Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Norman, Stonehill, Rez Band, Petra, Daniel Amos, . . .

Progressive Pacer was one of the "underground" Christian rock promoters from the earlier 80's. The Pacer's last curtain call came in late '85, but the archives live on. Some of the Pacer guys have gotten together and put up ProgressivePacer.com. This web site will reprint articles from Progressive Pacer magazine ('78-'82) and photos from Progressive Pacer Productions ('80-'85).

The site debuts this Sunday . . . Easter Sunday.

http://ProgressivePacer.com

By the way, the first "featured photo" will be of DA on their Dopplegänger tour.

For now, stop by and visit the home page, and sign up for our email list.
03-29-2002 16:22 Randy Carey is offline Send an Email to Randy Carey Homepage of Randy Carey Search for Posts by Randy Carey Add Randy Carey to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Really cool! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I checked out the site, and can't wait for the
articles to be up.

We'll put a link on the site.

the townsends

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-31-2002 10:56 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Glad to see your "keeping it fresh, hommies!"

LOL (with sides hurtung I am laughing so hard)

my goodness this is sillySmile

04-01-2002 16:58 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich

"as the young people say, I ain't down with that"
Big Grin

04-01-2002 19:51 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
quote:

Big Grin

hey! the Tuxedo Clad Megastar is pretty street level! He even dresses like a pimp to keep it "real"
Smile

04-03-2002 19:26 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
quote:
quote:

Big Grin

hey! the Tuxedo Clad Megastar is pretty street level! He even dresses like a pimp to keep it "real"
Smile

This thread could have went on a little longer... Big Grin

09-24-2002 18:47 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Big Grin

Smile

This thread could have went on a little longer... Big Grin

It's kinda nice having it back around...
09-24-2002 19:39 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

Progressive pacers? Sounds like "progressive pacemakers" to me.
There are still talented Christian musicians on the scene today. Many of them have appeal to the "street level." It seems pretty geriatric to say that music just ain't as good as it was when Randy Stonehill, Larry Norman, Petra, Rez Band and Daniel Amos were cranking out records.
Wait a minute.... they're all still cranking out records! (Quality control not withstanding for some of them....)
Rez band has metamorphed to Glenn Kaiser, but he still tours with the band. I just wish they wouldn't let Wendi sing- she reminds me too much of Grace Slick.

09-25-2002 10:01 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
jc
Luteous Llama

fer us fogies Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

just so you whipersnappers know
Progressive Pacer
WAS the thang in the early 80s for me
Me kids and I went to a few of their shows (missed some I could kick for)Keaggy-(he DID used to rock ya know)
Not saying it was better- but I WILL say they had to work more to get an audience. (very few 3 day fests back then lil ones)
Granpa CriCKet
09-25-2002 10:41 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Speaking of which.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

....my first car was a Pacer -- a lime-green one, no less. It progressed better on some occasions than others....

And heck, I didn't even KNOW there was any good Christian music out there until 3-4 years ago, even though I'd been searching for 15 years prior, so I don't know where this puts me on the fogey chart.... anyone I came across before that (Tonio K., Bruce Cockburn, The Call, T-Bone & Sam) were by pure secular coincidence....

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
09-25-2002 10:51 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Thanks for the news.

09-25-2002 10:54 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

It's kind of funny how once you get hooked on a band, you kind of end of liking all the same groups as the other people who like that band - even when the others don't sound anything like the first...

tonio k.
sam phillips
t-bone burnett
bruce cockburn
the call
emmylou harris (new stuff)
adam again
vigilantes of love (I know, some of you don't dig 'em)
violet burning
etc...

09-25-2002 11:23 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Hmmm.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

...then come how I can only get Jevon to join me on the Three Crosses bandwagon? Smile

Seriously, though, I think there's a perspective/vibe/worldview/whatever that shines through all (or at least most) of the above, regardless of their actual sound.

For me, the aforementioned 1st five all led to one nexus -- Mark Heard. Then, upon discovering him, the door swung open to Rich Mullins, VoL, and most of all our beloved DA, in all its incarnations.... which in turn swung open to the 7s, AA, et al.... but The Choir still sucks.... Tongue

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
09-25-2002 11:29 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Disjasked Lerna

Strange, the Choir is what got me to listen to Daniel Amos, Lost Dogs, Adam Again, VoL and a host of other new experiences.
It' funny how associations can work.
I bought the Choir because I thought (mistakenly) they were a product of Undercover. I bought Undercover because the record store was trying to get rid of their inventory (I don't think they caught on in the mid 80s in virginia as well as they did in California)....
Anyway, I love the Choir because I think Derri Daugherty's voice is terrific. I love the Lost Dogs songs where he sings lead the best from a musical perspective (although others touch my heart more...)
I guess it takes all kinds to make up a DAmb.

09-25-2002 11:36 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Ceremonial Kernel

It is funny.....I keep posting how my wife hates DA....It's mainly Terry's voice that she doesn't like....She loves Derri's voice....She always wants me to learn Derri ballads on the keyboard.....She even like the Lost Dogs when Derri sings or when Mike does his crooning voice.....but she hasn't heard a single Terry vocal that she really likes (Vox Human doesn't bug her as much as the others - but she wouldn't "choose" to listen to it). It's just too bad...

09-25-2002 11:40 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

[QUOTE]Originally posted by carl
...then come how I can only get Jevon to join me on the Three Crosses bandwagon? Smile

What an intersting thread.

Dinosaurs still rule the planet my friend.

Three Crosses, yup, I'll admit to three of their albums. Great stuff.

But where would we be if we could get "new" albums from bob Dylan, ELO, TOTO (hey no comments), SAGA, Honeymoon Suite, Daniel Amos, Randy Stonehill, Kansas (oh yeah baby!) and Phil Keaggy. The list goes on, but this Nu-metal stuff is lame, and if kids today could rock on their own they wouldn't need Aerosmith or the Rolling Stones!

Nah na na na na na nah, hey ay ay good bye.

09-25-2002 11:46 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

Maybe that's my problem with DA. I've not yet warmed up to it, although I love SE, and LD. I also love the Choir and I can't get enough of Adam Again....
I'm going to keep trying to listen to DA and TST, though. I can see real depth in the instrumentation and the lyrics. I just haven't warmed up to the singing yet.

09-25-2002 11:47 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by Jevon the Tall
quote:
Originally posted by carl

What an intersting thread.

Dinosaurs still rule the planet my friend.

Three Crosses, yup, I'll admit to three of their albums. Great stuff.

But where would we be if we could get "new" albums from bob Dylan, ELO, TOTO (hey no comments), SAGA, Honeymoon Suite, Daniel Amos, Randy Stonehill, Kansas (oh yeah baby!) and Phil Keaggy. The list goes on, but this Nu-metal stuff is lame, and if kids today could rock on their own they wouldn't need Aerosmith or the Rolling Stones!

Nah na na na na na nah, hey ay ay good bye.
I've heard that musical taste is formed in adolescence. after that, you may like new groups with a similar style, but probably not new stuff. Fortunately, I've never outgrown puberty. But isn't that a requirement for posting on the DAmb?

09-25-2002 11:50 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Ceremonial Kernel

Can you say puberty here.....

this is a Christian thread....

Big Grin

09-25-2002 11:52 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by brdhsnyrsoul
Can you say puberty here.....

this is a Christian thread....

Big Grin
If you pick on me, I'll call you a poopyhead, too!

09-25-2002 11:59 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » when Christian rock was street-level

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH