Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » MBD Question » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page MBD Question
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Shemp
unregistered
MBD Question Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Read these lyrics...

This is the one
It's our big break
Time to have fun
End our heartach

Don't ask if it's hit or it's miss
Don't need to keep wondering 'what if?'
You want guarantees? I insist
There are no more to come
This is the one

This is the time
The closing moments
The end of the line
Carved in stone it's

Time to wipe tears from your eyes
The day to stop questioning why
'Cos every clipped bird's gonna fly
The healing has begun
This is the one

This is the best
We can offer
We've all passed the test
We needn't bother
To ask if the ships coming in
It"s safe in the harbour my friend
At last we have come to the end
And our fears are on the run
'Cos this is the one

Now you tell me... I have been trying to figure out the meaning of this song (the first song on MBD). Do you think that Terry and the guys are saying that they are done as DA? Or is this song about our eventual everlasting life?

Tell me I'm totally wrong about the band being done... someone please...
07-23-2002 08:37
Author of the Post Author of the Post is a male
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'd say the song is about "us" not DA. But that's my read on it. I had no notion of it meaning the end of DA.

-- TAotP
07-23-2002 08:50 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
A Hot Wolly

Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Shemp
Read these lyrics...

I hope this line isn't true. My little bird's wing is clipped and if she could take free flight, it would be quite dangerous for her.

-- TAotP
07-23-2002 09:00 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
jc
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

what I got Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

AotP-
from the outset-
I took the song to mean that Finding Jesus- is it.
You can try to look over, under, through, beyond, above or below-
but -this is the one
I guess it could be He is the one...
thats how I read it.
the C-life-(for the C-man?)
JiMIny
07-23-2002 09:04 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
jc
Luteous Llama

what I got Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

AotP-
from the outset-
I took the song to mean that Finding Jesus- is it.
You can try to look over, under, through, beyond, above or below-
but -this is the one
I guess it could be He is the one...
thats how I read it.
the C-life-(for the C-man?)
JiMIny
07-23-2002 09:05 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
jc
Luteous Llama

im a double poster Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

..eat crumbs from the toaster
ride a roller coaster
hate to be a boaster
but I'm a double poster!

07-23-2002 09:09 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
A Hot Wolly

quote:
Originally posted by jc
..eat crumbs from the toaster
ride a roller coaster
hate to be a boaster
but I'm a double poster!

Well that's better than writing a whole string of posts without responding to anyone else. I don't know who would do a thing like that.

(tee-hee)

-- taotp
07-23-2002 11:43 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Cogito... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

... it's about either Heaven or the rapture.

07-23-2002 14:19 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
A Hot Wolly

Cogito?

-- taotp
07-23-2002 14:26 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

I took a different read on this song. I didn't take is as much "spiritually" as I did satire. Seems that Uncle Terry is often using satire concerning DA's "rock star status." Just my read.
LK-9

07-23-2002 15:59 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Cogito... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cogito is a Latin word meaning "I think".

It's most often used in the phrase Cogito ergo sum - I think therefore I am (or my rendition of it: God thinks, therefore we are.)

07-23-2002 16:23 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
A Hot Wolly

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
Cogito is a Latin word meaning "I think".

It's most often used in the phrase Cogito ergo sum - I think therefore I am (or my rendition of it: God thinks, therefore we are.)

Thanks. I've only studied Spanish, French, Catalan, Portugues, Italian, and German--no Latin. So I just didn't know that one.

-- taotp
07-23-2002 18:32 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

That song kind of occured to me in that way too (what way, you're asking).

That this would be Daniel Amos' final effort. I sure hope not for me and the world's sake. I haven't seen them in concert yet. Crying

07-24-2002 00:42 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
A Hot Wolly

What ever happened to "The Band that Won't Go Away"? I guess that was supposed to be the Eddies, but we can think the same of Daniel Amos.

-- taotp
07-24-2002 08:52 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Ceremonial Kernel

Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

quote:
Originally posted by Author of the Post
What ever happened to "The Band that Won't Go Away"? I guess that was supposed to be the Eddies, but we can think the same of Daniel Amos.

-- taotp

I think the song was actually intended for Daniel Amos and not the Swirling Eddies.

But you certainly do have a point.

07-24-2002 13:40 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
jc
Luteous Llama

beekner Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

in the Magnificent Defeat there is reference to the Gospel being the only "real " thing" out there.
I believe the phrase "This is the One" is in one of FBs sermons-or very close phrasology
will have to check on that- but thats where I linked my spin-
not to the band-but to Him (note the Capital)
JimIny
07-24-2002 14:31 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Here's my in-depth take:
quote:
This is the one
It's our big break
Time to have fun
End our heartach

I think the keyword is "time to have fun" in these particular lines. It may or may not be their big break, but regardless, it's "time to have fun."

quote:
Don't ask if it's hit or it's miss
Don't need to keep wondering 'what if?'
You want guarantees? I insist
There are no more to come
This is the one

There is no guarantee that Daniel Amos will continue. Not because they wouldn't want to continue, but because the album may flop. Sometimes it takes more than hard work to make an album - like money. I think the attitude however, is more like "who cares, we've come this far."

quote:
This is the time
The closing moments
The end of the line
Carved in stone it's

What's been done is done. That's it.

quote:
Time to wipe tears from your eyes
The day to stop questioning why
The healing has begun
This is the one

Mistakes have been made, but new days are here.

quote:
This is the best
We can offer
We've all passed the test
We needn't bother
To ask if the ships coming in
It"s safe in the harbour my friend
At last we have come to the end
And our fears are on the run
'Cos this is the one

"here's a speck on the canvas
of future projections
a drop in the bucket of
tomorrow's successes
if i have the faith and know-how
i might watch our ship come in
my full potential"
from Outdoor Elvis' "Potential"

Maybe Terry's saying that it was arrogant to think that way (as in "Potential")? Or maybe he's saying that now's as good as time as ever to evaluate his "full potential" because it's not getting any better? These last lines do seem to indicate that Daniel Amos does have worries with regards to the album.

Just my take. Wink

07-25-2002 02:00 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
A Hot Wolly

quote:
Originally posted by arcticsunburn
There is no guarantee that Daniel Amos will continue. Not because they wouldn't want to continue, but because the album may flop. Sometimes it takes more than hard work to make an album - like money. I think the attitude however, is more like "who cares, we've come this far."

MBD flop? Hardly. Excellent album!

-- taotp
07-25-2002 09:15 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

it's interesting to read all of your thought on this. here's mine.....

i have a couple thoughts on the song...

one impression i have is it is the pre-curser for the whole first disc "dream". i imagined it as a persons final thoughts about life or their day right before falling asleep and into "their dream". you know that moment, before you fall asleep, in time when the world slows down enough to allow us to look at everything without the worry of deadlines, mowing the lawn, earning a buck...and we see a little more of the "big picture", a little more clarity in our smoggy sky.

and yet, it still has a dying(to eternal life) kind thing going on.....so i don't know.

np: "don't ask me how i feel"

07-25-2002 13:05 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
A Hot Wolly

Often I find that I don't pay that much attention to the lyrics, and if I do, it's one line. If that line has meaning, that is enough. Trying to decypher a DA song can be like trying to make sense of the book of Revelations. Of course, some songs are more straightforward and less image driven, but I almost prefer the stuff that just sets a mood or puts me in a mood.

Albums like "Doppleganger" and "Fearful Symmetry" really do it for me. I can't quite explain it, but I don't need to explain why I like the album. It's not necessarily the lyrical content (even though "Real Girls," "Mall All over the World," "The Pool," "Neverland Ballroom," and "Instruction Thru Film" have a very literal side) but I guess I just like to feel something different, kind of take me into a different world.

MBD tends to have this retro feel that is so contemporary. I can't explain that. But the album makes me feel good. I tend to use music a lot when I write (I'm a playwright for those of you who didn't know.) I like to put on albums that evoke a mood. Often there is no simple words like "peppy" or "sad" to put to it, it's just a mood.

I don't know if I'm making any sense at all, and I've diverged a lot I know. But oh, well, just my 2 cents.

-- The Author of the Post

(who is capable of meaningful posts, although not always coherent)
07-25-2002 13:36 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » MBD Question

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH