Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Just ONE stupid line please! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 5 6 [7] 8 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Just ONE stupid line please!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by brdhsnyrsoul
This is an interesting one - the adultery is very bad in that movie, but it is also the ruin of everyone. They know it is wrong and still do it - so they pay for it. But the characters who truly fall in love seem to have a future........
You've set my mind at ease on this movie. You're right- there are consequences to the adultery and it is clearly portrayed as wrong behavior. That follows my litmus test for proper portrayal of sinful behavior.
The characters that truly fall in love are Kip and the nurse, I suppose. There is a simplicity, a beauty and a purity to their love for each other. They land up being the only characters in the whole movie that I truly "liked" in the end.
On a similar subject, the consequences for sinful behavior are not clear in the book of Judges, either. I enjoy the book but it's very hard to explain to new believers for that reason.
thump

09-10-2002 12:38 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by servantsteve
Two movies that anger me more than Titanic are: The Bridges of Madison County and The Horse Whisperer. Both of these portray an affair with a married woman as "love." That makes me want to puke and I walk out of movies that glorify adultery.
I can take teenage promiscuity better than adultery- that's my moral relativism.

Ditto. I detest anything that promotes adultary. It's my pet peeve.

My wife left me for my closest male friend at the time.

09-10-2002 16:09 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

That's aweful - same thing happened to me though. We were about to have our 3rd anniversary - and then she was gone.

I am remarried now to an amazing woman and we have two beautiful girls

But my heart still aches sometimes....

09-10-2002 16:12 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
quote:
Two movies that anger me more than Titanic are: The Bridges of Madison County and The Horse Whisperer. Both of these portray an affair with a married woman as "love." That makes me want to puke and I walk out of movies that glorify adultery.
I can take teenage promiscuity better than adultery- that's my moral relativism.

Ditto. I detest anything that promotes adultary. It's my pet peeve.

My wife left me for my closest male friend at the time.

that sucks... Sorry to hear that Frown

09-10-2002 16:12 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

quote:
That's aweful - same thing happened to me though. We were about to have our 3rd anniversary - and then she was gone.

I am remarried now to an amazing woman and we have two beautiful girls

But my heart still aches sometimes....

It was just before our 7th anniversary. Back in December of 1998.

They are still living together they have a son.

I don't actually miss her but I do miss the companionship.

Me - 3 1/2 years later I have a lot of woman (let's-just-be) friends.
09-10-2002 16:16 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

I think that movies plant ideas in our minds rather than "promote" things. Sometimes they are unsuccessful, and sometimes they are excessively successful. It is us humans who decide what to do with these ideas and information, and as a Christian it means we take the good, and filter out the rest.

09-10-2002 17:05 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Jim Muglia
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by arcticsunburn
I think that movies plant ideas in our minds rather than "promote" things. Sometimes they are unsuccessful, and sometimes they are excessively successful. It is us humans who decide what to do with these ideas and information, and as a Christian it means we take the good, and filter out the rest.

You're right that we can and should filter things; but what really angers me is that there are so many impressionable young females who could go one way or the other with their virginity because of some idiot director who worships the Sexual Revolution.

If I ever meet Billy Joel in a dark alley, that guy's toast, with his evil "Only the Good Die Young" song. That guy can take his piano and shove it up his ass; I don't care how much talent he has, he's a jerk. To sing that song in concert is child abuse. Imagine Roy Clark singing that. DJs playing it on the radio is child abuse too. Of course that's not the only evil song out there; but a song that begs a girl to give up her virginity is about as evil as it gets.
Jim
09-10-2002 19:01
Ceremonial Kernel

Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Yeah, I'm not saying that it doesn't have effect on people. Just about everything does.

09-11-2002 00:27 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Disjasked Lerna

Somehow society has eroded our sense of morals, and movies and music are a huge part of it. We'll never have censorship in this country, but I will not patronize the destruction of morals on our young.
Music probably has a greater influence than movies because music tends to play over and over in our subconsciences. That's why I play Christian music on my headset- I'm choosing my programming.
Billy Joel's song sounds a seduction argument. There are alot of songs like it- Let's Spend the Night Together by the Rolling Stones, for instance. The difference is that Joel mentioned a specific Christian group as his target for seduction in the line, "you Catholic girls start much too late..." I agree that it is reprehensible and I hate to think of how many it has tempted.
Temptation will come but woe to those who tempt any little one to sin. It would be better for them to tie a millstne around their neck and be thrown into the sea.
I left this board for over a month because I thought the conversation was playing into moral relativism on the subject of homosexuality, which is still a sin. I know there is a great guy on this board who is trapped in society's lie that it's a lifestyle or a genetic disposition (meaning.. it's God's fault).

09-11-2002 08:12 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Ceremonial Kernel

Welcome back, servantsteve. Some of us didn't give in to relativism - even though we still feel called to love the person - Jesus wept - one of the most chilling verses......we break God's heart of hearts everyday....and yet He loves us

09-11-2002 11:02 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

quote:
Somehow society has eroded our sense of morals, and movies and music are a huge part of it. We'll never have censorship in this country, but I will not patronize the destruction of morals on our young.
Music probably has a greater influence than movies because music tends to play over and over in our subconsciences. That's why I play Christian music on my headset- I'm choosing my programming.
Billy Joel's song sounds a seduction argument. There are alot of songs like it- Let's Spend the Night Together by the Rolling Stones, for instance. The difference is that Joel mentioned a specific Christian group as his target for seduction in the line, "you Catholic girls start much too late..." I agree that it is reprehensible and I hate to think of how many it has tempted.
Temptation will come but woe to those who tempt any little one to sin. It would be better for them to tie a millstne around their neck and be thrown into the sea.
I left this board for over a month because I thought the conversation was playing into moral relativism on the subject of homosexuality, which is still a sin. I know there is a great guy on this board who is trapped in society's lie that it's a lifestyle or a genetic disposition (meaning.. it's God's fault).

It's not God's fault.

09-11-2002 20:00 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
It's not God's fault.
Tell me you didn't read that whole post and come to the conclusion that I was blaming God for anything. I was referring to the latest ploy by the gay community to label homosexuality as "genetic." Such a ploy attempts to shift the responsibility from the participant to the creator.

09-12-2002 06:23 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I knew exactly what you were talking about. You must have missed my response to someone else on another thread. I did not like that he said that because God loves him, God made him homosexual.

Pleased

09-12-2002 12:22 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Disjasked Lerna

Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry I got confused- if I read your earlier post, I would have understood. My bad!

09-12-2002 13:02 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
I knew exactly what you were talking about. You must have missed my response to someone else on another thread. I did not like that he said that because God loves him, God made him homosexual.

Pleased
I hope God never loves me that much....

09-12-2002 13:04 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Ceremonial Kernel

me neither - I have trouble with the fact that it is usually the most vocal proponents of evolution (survival of the fittest) who are also the most vocal about homosexuality being genetic - wouldn't it have died out eons ago if it was genetic? It really confuses me.....How can you hold both positions...

09-12-2002 15:27 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:

Pleased

God loves me so he made me stupid. Big Grin

09-13-2002 00:24 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Ceremonial Kernel

God loves me so he made me dance...

09-13-2002 10:10 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
God loves me so he made me dance...

I can't dance so God doesn't love me?

09-13-2002 10:56 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

you can dance if you want to

you can leave your friends behind

because....

09-13-2002 11:14 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 5 6 [7] 8 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Just ONE stupid line please!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH