Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Horrendous Disc advertised!!! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Horrendous Disc advertised!!!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hmmm, how different is the booklet? Seem like a weird plan to buy an album to get "less" than the previous version ...

11-29-2003 12:47 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Larry Lists Mike Stone and Daniel Amos as producers on this version,
the lyrics are included, the commentary o' drama is a shorter and
different version. The pictures are better, theres a full page picture
from the LP sleeve, a full page band shot, and the inner midlle
double pages are a shot of the whole solid rock 'family'.

The Cover version bonus tracks are gone.

Th LarryNorman.com webstore says that this version is "re-balanced,
re-equalized, and re-mastered."

To me it doesn't sound as 'high', but I have not really compared the two.

They have it listed on the order form at LarryNorman.com, so we assume
we will start recieving this version as well.

j and e

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
11-30-2003 14:24 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

RE: Horrendous Disc advertised!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by PuP
quote:
Originally posted by Driver8
Whoa! Shocked First we hear that DA is gonna be first in the CCM hall Of Fame then Terry speculates on a possible Dove Award! Shocked A full article in next months CCM! Shocked

I'm not familiar with the protocol should DA become popular. Will I have to accuse them of "selling out" and listen to other music? That is what fans of "cult" groups do, isn't it?

Or we could just act smug about the fact that we knew about them first, and look down on those who jump on the bandwagon if they become popular.
11-30-2003 14:56 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Tyler Durden Tyler Durden is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 04-11-2002
Location: Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is a spiritual war.

There has been promise of a definitive version that would include outtakes. ANy word from the Norman camp as to when this can be done?

I have emailed several times to LarryNorman.com without a reply.
12-09-2003 12:57 Tyler Durden is offline Send an Email to Tyler Durden Search for Posts by Tyler Durden Add Tyler Durden to your Buddy List
voxrob
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-02-2003

Larry Norman rereleases Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I first saw something about these re-masterings in the little catalog he mails out, except it was only talking about "Welcome To Paradise". Although "better" versions are always welcome, I don't know why it wasn't done right the first time. At least in the case of "Welcome To Paradise", I've thought that the transfer to CD was pretty good, so I have a hard time justifying buying it again.

The ad for HD on larrynorman.com is pretty interesting, kind of Larry-centric and a little odd for an advertisement.

I'm not sure what to make of this in looking forward to future releases. I wasn't that excited about what I was hearing a couple of years ago -- a release of the British version of HD (with minimal extras), a box set of Solid Rock that would include the songs DA recorded for Solid Rock (if I'm not mistaken, most of HD was really recorded before DA went to Solid Rock). It seemed like the releases would be slow, with lots of stuff that I wasn't too interested in (I mean, almost all of the Brit version of HD is the same except for another song and maybe some song edits).

What I really wish they would do is just root through their stuff, just put out all the outtakes, those songs recorded, etc., and just be done with it. I don't even mind them being grabby and putting 35 minutes of stuff on each of 3 CDs and selling it all for $50. At least, then, it would be done. As it is now, it gets strung out and the end result sometimes doesn't seem to be too satisfactory.
12-11-2003 18:39 voxrob is offline Send an Email to voxrob Search for Posts by voxrob Add voxrob to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Durden
There has been promise of a definitive version that would include outtakes. ANy word from the Norman camp as to when this can be done?

We had been told that it would be out last Summer for Cornerstone...
we have yet to receive any additional info... we've also asked a number
of times what the bonus tracks would be and have yet to receive
an answer to that. (The same thing happened with the first HD
release)

We've been talking to Terry a bit about maybe releasing a
"Horrendous Disc Sessions" collection or - at the very least -
putting a lot of that material into the DA box set, if we can
ever get that put together. Theres definitely some interesting
stuff from the time period... I think it'll surface one way or
another.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
12-11-2003 21:53 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
voxrob
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-02-2003

HD Sessions Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Good. I'm glad to hear that it's on the radar. That's one set that will require some song commentary because of the checkered history of HD. Would such a set include the non-HD songs that appeared on Shirley, Goodness and Misery -- or is that, yet, another release? Because of HD's long gestation period, that album might produce a more interesting Sessions release than most -- in particular, just how similar or different was HD when they left Maranatha! Music -- how did the vision for that album differ?

Granted, it would be interesting to find out what extra tracks are actually planned by Solid Rock, but you can get a kind of head's up from Terry (or Ed or someone else) about what they recorded for Solid Rock. I have no clue whether it was only like the reported 5 or 6 or as much as a dozen or more songs.

Ultimately though, part of the frustration is that Solid Rock's focus is, understandably, on Larry Norman and I imagine that now that HD and Welcome to Paradise have been released (twice), much of the non-Larry CD-release pressure is off (except for Mark Heard). Even if they sold quite a number of copies of HD, any other DA release is probably going to yield far fewer sales, so their motivation diminishes. It can all serve as an exercise in patience.
12-15-2003 14:04 voxrob is offline Send an Email to voxrob Search for Posts by voxrob Add voxrob to your Buddy List
freak freak is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-270.jpg

Registration Date: 11-13-2003

skip Larry... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Durden

We had been told that it would be out last Summer for Cornerstone...
we have yet to receive any additional info... we've also asked a number
of times what the bonus tracks would be and have yet to receive
an answer to that. (The same thing happened with the first HD
release)

We've been talking to Terry a bit about maybe releasing a
"Horrendous Disc Sessions" collection or - at the very least -
putting a lot of that material into the DA box set, if we can
ever get that put together. Theres definitely some interesting
stuff from the time period... I think it'll surface one way or
another.

I vote for a Horrendous Disc Sessions collection released by Terry... that would be awesome!!

dit, dit, doo
12-15-2003 16:20 freak is offline Send an Email to freak Homepage of freak Search for Posts by freak Add freak to your Buddy List
Commander Cote
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

I vote we pitch in some cash to make this happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12-15-2003 18:38 Commander Cote is offline Send an Email to Commander Cote Search for Posts by Commander Cote Add Commander Cote to your Buddy List
Commander Cote
Woolly Eggwhisk

Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Ooooh, did I really say that?........DAmb right I did, come on Jason, come on Eric let's
get this thing rollin'. Who's with me on this?
12-15-2003 18:40 Commander Cote is offline Send an Email to Commander Cote Search for Posts by Commander Cote Add Commander Cote to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I'm ready for the Definitive Horrendous Disc/Sessions, DA Boxset, unreleased songs, etc.

12-15-2003 20:47 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Horrendous Disc advertised!!!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH