Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Re: DAmb Chat in perspective » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Re: DAmb Chat in perspective 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

Re: DAmb Chat in perspective Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

hmmmm...it's entirely possible that i missed the "serious" stuff, because i spent most of my time trying to help terry manage his way around the board and de-freeze his computer, but i guess i didn't realize that there were a lot of serious questions asked or that anyone was particularly interested in real serious answers. (i remember questions like "who has the most bizzare eating habits?" so, honestly, it's possible and probable that i/we missed the serious questions.)

(also, DW, i didn't understand the part about "a distinct feeling I was eavesdropping on a conversation better left private." ???)

the other factor was that there were so many threads. but that seemed natural given the fact that it was the first time terry, ed, and greg had been on the board together. it just felt sort of like a big loud party where you get to hang out with a bunch of people.

but why don't we do this: if you wouldn't mind, give me some idea of what sort of serious questions you'd like to have answered. because, we'll surely do this again, hopefully soon, and before that happens we'll talk with the audioris and figure out a way to make it less chaotic.

so, don't be shy. let me know what's on yer mind.

p.s. -- i'd personally like to welcome the newest damb member, Jerry Falwell! (jerry, i hope you're not still upset about that one incident with the meat.)
12-04-2003 09:53 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Why couldn't we have a thread set up that people ONLY post serious questions? (And I mean ONLY post serious questions.) This could be done a couple weeks ahead of time. Then the DA guys can have time to think about them and post answers to these questions. Then we could have a chat.

12-04-2003 09:58 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Theo Theo is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Brother Chandler Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That's a terrific idear!
If the serious questions were put to Terry and the gang ahead of time, perhaps they could show up, and post thoughts on these questions and the DAmbers could respond to those.

What happened was four guys show up and a mob asks all their questions, bam! bam! bam! There's no way "I" would have been able to settle into one serious question with my full attention. Too much frenetic (sp?) activity around me and such.

So, questions ahead of time. DA posts threads in answer to some of these. Conversation floats about those.

Any thoughts?
12-04-2003 09:59 Theo is offline Send an Email to Theo Homepage of Theo Search for Posts by Theo Add Theo to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Theo: theo@sterlingdrivechurch.com YIM Account Name of Theo: the_obrastoff
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-602.gif

Registration Date: 05-01-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

hi tim Smile

I felt the same way as DwD did Frown I was expecting a little more substance than was there. It's not anyone's fault, but I think a more "serious" discussion would be enjoyable to some of us. I love being silly on this board but I really did have questions, some of which were never answered, that I would like to ask again to the band.

Thanks for setting up the chat though it was fun for the little bit I was there Cool

12-04-2003 10:01 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Thread Starter Thread Started by tchandler
hey jason and eric Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

should we combine Mark and Theo's suggestions? have one thread for "serious-only" questions, posted ahead of time? it may take a while for all 4 of us to get back here at once, but we could at least begin the process? is it getting annoying that i'm ending everything in a question?
12-04-2003 10:20 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Vox Robotica
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpg

Registration Date: 06-19-2003

RE: hey jason and eric Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by tchandler is it getting annoying that i'm ending everything in a question?

I dunno, what do you think? Big Grin

I've actually experienced this sort of thing before, on a message board for another band. One of the band members was announced for a chat, and it was chaos - I doubt more than two or three serious questions actually got answered.

When the time came for another chat, the decision was made to make it a little bit more structured. The board members could read and not post, but they were able to ask questions in advance for the band member. It made for a really good time, with some really cool answers to good questions.

I dunno if you want to do it that way, but it might ease up on the chaos factor.

"The systems fail
All the circuits blown
And the message lost in this machine oh

12-04-2003 10:25 Vox Robotica is offline Send an Email to Vox Robotica Homepage of Vox Robotica Search for Posts by Vox Robotica Add Vox Robotica to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr YIM Account Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr View the MSN Profile for Vox Robotica
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

what's a serious question?

have we ever had one of those here?

heh heh heh......................

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

12-04-2003 12:02 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Shemp
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Woggy
what's a serious question?

have we ever had one of those here?

heh heh heh......................

Now that IS a serious question!

Big Grin
12-04-2003 12:24
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

RE: hey jason and eric Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by tchandler
should we combine Mark and Theo's suggestions? have one thread for "serious-only" questions, posted ahead of time? it may take a while for all 4 of us to get back here at once, but we could at least begin the process? is it getting annoying that i'm ending everything in a question?

Sounds good to me. We've been discussing the idea (in the
dump I believe) about making it where regular posters could
not start new threads... then we could have a thread set
up for each band member, a thread for serious questions,
then maybe a "chaos chat" thread. We could let people post
the serious questions way in advance... we also thought we
might limit regular posters to one post per 3-5 minutes maybe..
that might reduce the number of smiley face or one word posts.

DA would be able to start new threads and would not
be restricted to the time rule. So, that might make it easier
for you guys to keep up with everything.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
12-04-2003 14:29 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
We've been discussing the idea (in the
then maybe a "chaos chat" thread.

we also thought we

um, excuse me...................but shouldn't REGULAR posters have more privileges than the wannabees?

This seems very unfair to me.......................

12-04-2003 14:45 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
quote:

sounds fair... I guess! Tongue

12-04-2003 14:46 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Shemp
unregistered

quote:
quote:

Roll Eyes
12-04-2003 15:02
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

quote:
quote:
We've been discussing the idea (in the

we also thought we

um, excuse me...................but shouldn't REGULAR posters have more privileges than the wannabees?

This seems very unfair to me.......................

"regular posters" = everyonne who isn't DA.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
12-04-2003 15:13 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

quote:

Is there something special about Dental Assistants?

Tongue

12-04-2003 15:34 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Richard Noggin
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 08-06-2003

Roll Eyes

12-04-2003 15:36 Richard Noggin is offline Send an Email to Richard Noggin Search for Posts by Richard Noggin Add Richard Noggin to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

quote:

Oh, so we're "irregular" posters?

Whew.

We might need more fiber, though Smile Smile Smile

12-04-2003 16:04 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

quote:

we prolly need 2 of these, after all this is the DAmb and it's all about chaos.

I'm all for some structure. It's needed because there are so many that want to talk, but we don't want to lose the spontaneity that makes the DAmb the DAmb.

The longer time limit and the no new threads rule I can live with.... but obviously the guys are just as whacked as we are and may not feel like always giving a serious answer to our questions. Maybe they would just like to hang out and post smiley faces too. Cool

If it aint fun, it aint the DAmb! (unles you are in the dump)

Just my 5¢ worth.

BD

(My thoughts are worth more than 2¢)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by BigDork: 12-04-2003 16:15.

12-04-2003 16:14 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Shemp
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by BigDork
quote:

we prolly need 2 of these, after all this is the DAmb and it's all about chaos.

I'm all for some structure. It's needed because there are so many that want to talk, but we don't want to lose the spontaneity that makes the DAmb the DAmb.

The longer time limit and the no new threads rule I can live with.... but obviously the guys are just as whacked as we are and may not feel like always giving a serious answer to our questions. Maybe they would just like to hang out and post smiley faces too. Cool

If it aint fun, it aint the DAmb! (unles you are in the dump)

Just my 5¢ worth.

BD

(My thoughts are worth more than 2¢)

Preach brother, preach it!!! Shocked
12-04-2003 16:16
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

YOU ROCK , bd!

i AGREe.........................

CHAOS IS COOL!

12-04-2003 16:19 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Shemp
unregistered

quote:
YOU ROCK , bd!

i AGREe.........................

CHAOS IS COOL!

Kaos or Control?
12-04-2003 16:32
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Re: DAmb Chat in perspective

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH