Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Any word from Terry??? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Any word from Terry??? 4 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jeffrey k.
I'm not sure anyone has thought of this, but for the folks that are interested in Terry's opinion on how your cover sounds in the professional sense, you may want to re-think that. Not because your songs are bad or whatever, but it would seem to be an awkward place to put the man by wanting him to professionaly comment on his work being covered by amatuer musicians who are hoping to go into music as a career or future. It just seems unfair to Terry on several levels. I'm not sure what Terry's policy is on this, but a better idea might be to record your own songs, and then send them to him asking for feedback if he has the time. But I'd only do this if you really want honest feedback. Otherwise, I'd just enjoy paying tribute to his music and leave it at that.

jeffrey k.

I guess there was a bit of misunderstanding here. Basically I was taking a stand as a musician and saying that criticism (so long as it's constructive criticism), would be helpful for me. I wasn't trying to say that I demand Terry's input.

I too, would not think it appropriate to ask for Uncle Terry's honest opinion under these conditions. It would be an honor to hear from him, but that's not the point. Any contstructive criticism would be helpful.

I hate to break it to you guys, but a common misconception around here:

Terry's word does not = God's word

Yes, Terry does speak the truth, and I respect him a lot for doing what he does. Again, it would be an honor to hear from him. But one man's review is one man's review. It's not going to flip my world upside down.

As it's become very clear in the past week or two, we don't all have the same musical tastes in these here parts. That's OK - it's only natural. But we were all attracted to DA's music, were we not?

For me it comes down to this. It's not up to you, Terry, or anyone else whether I "make it" or not, so long as I have not failed in God's standards. You can't stop me from going on tour with my band this summer, and succeeding. I could honestly care less about being signed unless it's under favorable conditions. I'm just saying that in the scheme of things, constructive criticism can help me and my band focus and improve on the things that we really need to.

This post has been edited 6 time(s), it was last edited by arcticsunburn: 02-12-2004 23:54.

02-12-2004 23:48 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arcticsunburn
I wasn't trying to say that I demand Terry's input.

Nor did anyone say you did.

quote:
Originally posted by arcticsunburn
For me it comes down to this. It's not up to you, Terry, or anyone else whether I "make it" or not, so long as I have not failed in God's standards. You can't stop me from going on tour with my band this summer, and succeeding. I could honestly care less about being signed unless it's under favorable conditions. I'm just saying that in the scheme of things, constructive criticism can help me and my band focus and improve on the things that we really need to.

Since you are responding to my post, I can only assume I am the "you" you are referring to me when you say "it's not up to you" in your whole line about making it or not. Fantastic man....I never said it was, nor has anyone else on this list from what I can tell. I wouldn't dream of stopping anyone from going on tour with their band and succeeding or failing. In fact, I couldn't care less one way or another what you or your band do....I've never even heard your music when it really gets down to it.

Forget I said anything.

jeffrey k.

02-13-2004 00:17 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

I apologize that I may have come off a bit strong in that last post. I'm sorry. I am a musician who is simply passionate about music. That last paragraph was simply an observation in general, not directed towards you. I am currently under a lot of pressure and a lot is happening in my life. Again, I'm sorry if I came off cynical and argumentative.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by arcticsunburn: 02-13-2004 00:21.

02-13-2004 00:21 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

people from the board send you demos? Tongue

02-13-2004 08:25 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Captain Crouch
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 12-23-2002

Angry Ya' HAYTH'ns!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thes es nuthin' but SHAYR ah-DOLL'treh!!!.....

quote:
Originally posted by PuP
quote:
Originally posted by Bowling Pin
the Tuxedo Clad Megastar IS JEHOVAH TO ME

I can tell you're a grouchy old board
But I'm tryin' to see you still love the Lord
But your words are confusin', it seems you're abusin'
God's Anointed, who you’re so mean toward

Now Christians you say you are
So how come you won’t follow this star?
Now I know my words you don’t believe
But the Tuxedo Clad Megastar is Jehovah to me

the Tuxedo Clad Megastar is Jehovah to me
If I give him 30 thousand, he’ll play my town for free
I don’t know why all you smart fellers can’t see
That the Tuxedo Clad Megastar is Jehovah to me

Spoken:
Now we’ve both said that DA, they rock
But that RIOT CD you still knock
Now it seems rather odd, if we’re all children of God
That you’d think “This Blood’s for You” is a crock

Now the Lost Dogs can only depress you
And those Eddies, they can only satirize
But when the Spirit comes in, you’ll know my Cham-pi-in
And sing the Tuxedo Clad Megastar is Jehovah to me

If I give him 30 grand, he’ll play my town for free
I just don’t know why you smart fellers can’t see

(everyone sing now….)

Even though you hate his guts there on the D-A-m-b
Why can’t you intellectual giants just see

Joey thinks I’m a fake
He can jump in the lake[1]
‘Cause the Tuxedo Clad Megastar is Jehovah to me-e-e-eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

[1] Lake Superior, of course — the cold water might even wake him up! Smile

This gets the giant-sized LOL!

LBig Grin L

....'n Ah LAHKS et!!! Big Grin

Git meh thes bow-wuh faw th' nex' ep'sode a' Prays th' LAWWWWD!!! Big Grin

Praise GOW-wud!!!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Captain Crouch: 02-13-2004 08:29.

02-13-2004 08:29 Captain Crouch is offline Send an Email to Captain Crouch Homepage of Captain Crouch Search for Posts by Captain Crouch Add Captain Crouch to your Buddy List
Über Parrot
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-20-2002
Location: I am Right.........all the time! Repent you lost sinners. Stop your swearing and cussing and drinking and R movies and smoking and laughing and having fun and those stoopid smiley faces

You coulds all send your demos to me. But there had better be plenty of Jesus lines in the song or it's pure crap!

I like that Captain Crouch feller. He's my kind of Christain. Smile ) (and his wife is quite the looker rarrrrgh )

Übie

02-13-2004 13:24 Über Parrot is offline Send an Email to Über Parrot Search for Posts by Über Parrot Add Über Parrot to your Buddy List
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Well that was a lot of fun in a twisted let's get off on a tangent sort of way. But what I really think people wanted to hear was not what Terry thought of the album in technical terms, but rather wanted to hear from the man about the tribute as a whole in terms of the fan base offering their little fridge drawings to "the man". Much like the post from Tim, it was more hoping to get a note saying "Gee guys, that's pretty neat."

So I'll say it, "Gee guys that was pretty neat. Except for that horrible version of Ribbons and Bows."

02-13-2004 23:01 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

someones gotta be the John Hinkley here, Jodie.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
02-14-2004 09:54 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
pistolpete
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 10-29-2002

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
someones gotta be the John Hinckley here, Jodie.

hinckley in the sense that some of you came close to murdering terry's songs on the tribute? Tongue

peter

ps. not that anyone missed me or anything, but I'm baaaack.
02-14-2004 10:17 pistolpete is offline Send an Email to pistolpete Search for Posts by pistolpete Add pistolpete to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

RE: I'm not ashamed, or maybe I am Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
Jeffrey means me (for one), but I have sent discs to others on this board as well.

But I totally get what's being said, and I agree. I enjoyed contributing songs to the discs and I'm sure I'll have fun with the proposed Mike Roe tribute, but I'm not ready (yet) for the unvarnished constructive criticism... Let me get good first, then y'all can fire away.

But until then: I have suffered for my art. Now it's your turn.
DwD

I might be crazy, but I don't take my music seriously in a huge sense. If Terry said that my songs were the worst songs he's ever heard I would be excited that he actually listened to them. I have no big plans for my music...except that I want everyone in the world to listen to it and react to it (good and bad) Big Grin Seriously though, if I am the only person that likes my songs it was still well worth it. We gotta step back and realize that it's all fun here. Terry is as brilliant of a musician as there is and he still has not made it where he should be. Everything he does is pretty independant (compare his sales to Carman). I don't want to be the next the Tuxedo Clad Megastar. I don't want to be the next Terry. I want to record and have fun and say screw the music industry I don't need to buy a big name when I can listen to myself (and all of you) Tongue

As far as Terry's comments, I think he's smart for not saying anything. We are his only fans. What happens if he makes us mad??? Big Grin

02-14-2004 12:15 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

All Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

with joking aside- I know that some of the people on this board are looking to perhaps striking out musically- (not striking out as in baseball- you dolt!)

and I tip my hat to you on this. I am not one of those people.

Would I like to get "discovered" ?- well, who wouldn't?

I think that Jev had the right idea in that we are curious if Terry has any comment (not critique) on what we've done as fans.
I certainly enjoy playing and singing- and did not mean to offend anyones higher ambition than that with my "pile of bs" comment.

I just think - along with others- that these lil things are no ones ticket or rung on the ladder-

they are merely a way to get our spouses P.O.ed at us for wasting even MORE electronic time......
...though I can only speak for myself on that matter...

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
02-14-2004 14:27 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

edited cause the previous post was plain stupid.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Jevon the Tall: 02-14-2004 17:16.

02-14-2004 15:24 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

Cool

on the one hand who wouldn't love it if terry (or any da member) laid high praise on your song. however, this shouldn't be the motivation for submitting a song. we are a family here and let's say we had a party. well we all brought our cameras and took pictures. after a while we share our photos, each with it's own unique perspective. we would sit back and enjoy the fact that others captured something that others didn't. and since people are always snapping like a zillion photos of terry (at shows) i doubt that he would be jumping to the front saying "give me 10 8X10 glossies of picture 43, in fact i am going to submit the artists work to time magazine for consideration".

i think that terry is honored that we all took some time to have some fun with his art. but i am sure that it can be difficult for terry because of the expectations that people can lay on him. as well as the unsolicited demos he surely must recieve.

terry (and all the guys) have given us all so much over the years....i view the tribute cds as a way to tell the guys "thank you".

and to those who have musical aspirations.....work hard, play live as often as you can, practice all the time, read books, learn from others mistakes, hone your craft by writing all the time and always be professional. after you think you've done all that.....go back to the begining and do it better, and better and better than the time(s) before.

02-14-2004 20:37 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

[quote]Originally posted by wes berlin
on the one hand who wouldn't love it if terry (or any da member) laid high praise on your song. however, this shouldn't be the motivation for submitting a song. we are a family here and let's say we had a party. well we all brought our cameras and took pictures. after a while we share our photos, each with it's own unique perspective. we would sit back and enjoy the fact that others captured something that others didn't. and since people are always snapping like a zillion photos of terry (at shows) i doubt that he would be jumping to the front saying "give me 10 8X10 glossies of picture 43, in fact i am going to submit the artists work to time magazine for consideration".

i think that terry is honored that we all took some time to have some fun with his art. but i am sure that it can be difficult for terry because of the expectations that people can lay on him. as well as the unsolicited demos he surely must recieve.

terry (and all the guys) have given us all so much over the years....i view the tribute cds as a way to tell the guys "thank you". [quote]

Right on Wes...come to think of it, this is pretty much what I said the other day. Now lets sit back and see if anyone jumps down your back. Roll Eyes

jeffrey k.

02-14-2004 20:50 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

yeah....now that i think back......it is similar to your post. Cool

02-14-2004 20:59 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Wes is an burro. I guess you're in good company cause in the old testament God did a lot of speaking through one burro or another.

02-14-2004 22:15 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

i don't know why we put up with wes or jeff.... Roll Eyes

Wink Tongue Wink

02-14-2004 22:19 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

All I know is this, when I wasn't signed after my version of "Happily Married Man," I quit the whole damb industry.

02-15-2004 16:26 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

That's not true, I made a number of signs and gestures after hearing your song.

02-15-2004 16:41 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by Jevon the Tall
That's not true, I made a number of signs and gestures after hearing your song.

LOL, I think Aunty Betty made the some signs to J. T. Tucker, III.

02-15-2004 16:57 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Any word from Terry???

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH