Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Passion Of The Christ » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (14): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Passion Of The Christ
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
zippetydoodaddy zippetydoodaddy is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-29-2003
Location: Lust is the craving for salt of a man who is dying of thirst. - F.B.

The Passion Of The Christ Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I always touted "The Twist" as one of the most hard hitting crucifixion songs in all of Christian music, oh and "Old Rugged Cross".

Gritty and gory, Terry captures the stress and pain of Good Friday.

I saw "The Passion" last night and now I can't help but here those words in my head. If you don't know the song, read the lyrics below and take them with you in your head to see the movie. It was an enhancement I now cherish.

The Twist

from the album "Zoom Daddy"
Words by Terry Taylor, Music by Terry Taylor, David Raven, Jerry Chamberlain and Tim Chander
©1988 Broken Songs

hang on, believe
there's nothing up my sleeve
i've got no magic tricks to save the day
put down the gun
you're not helping anyone
and i'm not about to run or back away

don't walk the fence
then come to my defense
i don't need fair weather kinds of friends around
so watch and pray
as a traitor's kiss betrays
and rest your feet of clay on shaky ground

chorus
and look me in the face, at least what's left of it
tell me you still love me just a little bit
or nail me down, break the skin
hard enough to do me in
but don't leave me hanging
dying and dangling
twisting in the wind

here, touch my side
let doubt be crucified
nailed with your wounded pride
to love's grim altar
here, taste my flesh
my bloody humanness
i am no phantom guest
no skinless martyr

so taste and feel
there's nothing to conceal
you always knew the deal
as sacrifice
stand up, be strong
when all you've got is gone
i left the light turned on in paradise

chorus

and when the walls cave in
and the curtain's torn asunder
you'll know we're near the end
you'll hear me in the thunder
and when the sun grows dim
this will be your sign and wonder
that soon we'll meet again
just like we did last summer

August 2005
02-24-2004 11:11 zippetydoodaddy is offline Send an Email to zippetydoodaddy Homepage of zippetydoodaddy Search for Posts by zippetydoodaddy Add zippetydoodaddy to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The Twist is hands down the best "Christian" song ever written!!!

02-24-2004 11:22 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Thread Starter Thread Started by zippetydoodaddy
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Dorf - would you say "hands NAILED down it's the best Christian song ever written"?

August 2005
02-24-2004 11:35 zippetydoodaddy is offline Send an Email to zippetydoodaddy Homepage of zippetydoodaddy Search for Posts by zippetydoodaddy Add zippetydoodaddy to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

That works too Tongue

I'm looking foreward to seeing the passion sometime this week. Was all the controversey overrated?

02-24-2004 11:38 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Do you mean the "Jews killed Jesus" controversy?

Or do you mean the "Jesus died for my sin" controversy?

Let's say this is one of the first movies I can recall where the film throttled it's own hype. My expectations were high and that usually wrecks a film for me. But this was different. After seeing the film, the hype felt more like a preparation to be moved. And I'm glad I was prepared because I was moved more than I expected.

Savvy?

August 2005
02-24-2004 11:43 zippetydoodaddy is offline Send an Email to zippetydoodaddy Homepage of zippetydoodaddy Search for Posts by zippetydoodaddy Add zippetydoodaddy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
The Twist is hands down the best "Christian" song ever written!!!

i hate to sound trite- but when i first got ZD I was rifling thru the tracks - and the melody and instrumentation grabbed me , "hmm, this is a great sounding song!"

Later when I read the lyric sheet I almost felt guilty, not hearing the somber tone of the message- and Dorf - I heartily agree-
its one of the best out there- period, and hands down the most direct- as I think Gibson is trying to portray on film.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
02-24-2004 11:55 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

quote:
Originally posted by zippetydoodaddy
Dorf - would you say "hands NAILED down it's the best Christian song ever written"?

i go back and forth between "the twist" and "you lay down"

02-24-2004 12:50 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

"The Twist" almost always gives me shivers... 10 years later...

02-24-2004 12:54 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Grand Encephalon

quote:
Do you mean the "Jews killed Jesus" controversy?

Or do you mean the "Jesus died for my sin" controversy?

Let's say this is one of the first movies I can recall where the film throttled it's own hype. My expectations were high and that usually wrecks a film for me. But this was different. After seeing the film, the hype felt more like a preparation to be moved. And I'm glad I was prepared because I was moved more than I expected.

Savvy?

I've heard people say it's anti Jew and I've heard people say it's too bloody. I personally don't find any of their points to be valid. Jews killed Jesus and that's all there is to it. They let a crazy guy go just to have Jesus murdered.

I can't wait to see it.

02-24-2004 13:24 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
"The Twist" almost always gives me shivers... 10 years later...

I think that is the only song ever that has actually given me the shivers.

02-24-2004 13:25 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

ZIPPY-

Having seen it- what would you suggest for a suitable age to see this film?
I've just heard so many different things- what do you think?

(I have a 13 year old girl who may want to go with her youth group.)

02-24-2004 13:55 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

i am not zippitydodahdittydowah......but i have seen it and i would say that it depends on your children. my 15 year old is going but my 14 year old isn't. amanda, my 14 year old, just doesn't do well with violence and she has decided that she will wait.....and i agree. now joshua, our 15 year old, is ready and is looking forward to it.

it is graphic. it is hard to watch (at times). and i believe it was worse in person.

i am taking my son with me so that we can dialogue about the film and the sacrifice. he then wants to see it with his youth group....which is fine with us....but the first time it's with the parents.

02-24-2004 14:08 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Thx Wes.

My 16 year old has no inclination to see it- and I am fine with that.
i do agree that each young person is different, just as some adults are.

I personally do not gear much toward violent movies (braveheart for instance- left me feeling uneasy- and films like Pulp Fiction and Black Rain- to name two- I just shut off- a bit to much for me- just my opinion.)
I have no inclination to see Kill Bill- ..Natural Born Killers..etc- you get the drift.

But I'm hearing things like "goriest movie EVER."
guess I find that hard to believe, with all the "slasher" films out there...)
Appreciate your comments, Wes.

02-24-2004 14:41 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

i want to see this movie, but i usually only see movies in theaters if i'm on a date or with my son.....
this is definitely not a date movie, nor for a 5 yr old.....
but i do want to see it..... Smile

02-24-2004 15:03 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Woolly Eggwhisk

quote:
Originally posted by wes berlin
quote:

i go back and forth between "the twist" and "you lay down"

Add "Tired Eyes of Faith" and you have my Easter list down!

August 2005
02-24-2004 15:04 zippetydoodaddy is offline Send an Email to zippetydoodaddy Homepage of zippetydoodaddy Search for Posts by zippetydoodaddy Add zippetydoodaddy to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
ZIPPY-

Having seen it- what would you suggest for a suitable age to see this film?
I've just heard so many different things- what do you think?

(I have a 13 year old girl who may want to go with her youth group.)

I agree with wes. It's frickin ugly! and if your kids are innocent, I mean if Star Wars is the worst they've seen, don't put them through this. If you don't limit their viewing and they can quote Scream or Chuckie, this will be a topper they can handle.

August 2005
02-24-2004 15:10 zippetydoodaddy is offline Send an Email to zippetydoodaddy Homepage of zippetydoodaddy Search for Posts by zippetydoodaddy Add zippetydoodaddy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Adrea(13) is affected by imagery.

After I saw FOTR (remember she was only 11 then) I refrained from having her see it til it came out on DVD - just to tell her about the Orc visuals etc.

I am thinking that I should probably see it first-will let you know.

I told her that already- and she rolled her eyes and sighed (hmm, I never saw THAT before...)

As far as Chuckie or Scream- she'd be at the foot of our bed for a month after any exposure to that.....

02-24-2004 15:54 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

movie review Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Definitely worth seeing. I basically quit going to movies but this one was worth it. Very accurate. Some things I thought "was that really in the Bible?" I looked and yep it was there in at least one of the Gospel accounts.

NOT the goriest movie ever. I saw a number of slasher films in high school to early college years (late 80s, early 90s) and this didn't come close. It IS gory however, and be careful with your children. Know your child is the best policy. Probably some 13 yr olds can handle and some 18 year olds can't!

Not anti-Semitic like many of the Jews push it to be. Just reality. Anti-Semitism really depends on bad response to the fact of Jewish involvement without knowing the whole story anyway.

More emotional than gory, especially since most of us are intimately familiar with the whole thing.

Here is what I sent to our local paper, hoping to get a jump on the editorials:
I have seen a lot of negative publicity about this movie, especially from those worried about it fueling Anti-Semitism. My reaction was far from this. The movie did show Jewish involvement in Jesus' crucifixion, as given in Biblical and historical accounts. However, my greatest reaction is compassion and pity on people led astray by their leaders who miss Truth. This includes Jews of Jesus' day, Christian Crusaders, Germans of Hitlers' time and, yes, even some prominent so-called "Christian" leaders of today. Regardless of your faith (or lack thereof) you owe it to yourself to see this movie with an open mind and let it touch your heart. Ask yourself the questions: What and Who is Truth? and What if I'm wrong? Look closely at the people in different positions (leaders, followers, government officials, etc.) in the movie and the different ways each asked and answered these questions.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
02-24-2004 22:58 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
HEMISPHERICALHEADS HEMISPHERICALHEADS is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-07-2003

RE: The Passion Of The Christ Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
I always touted "The Twist" as one of the most hard hitting crucifixion songs in all of Christian music, oh and "Old Rugged Cross".

Gritty and gory, Terry captures the stress and pain of Good Friday.

I saw "The Passion" last night and now I can't help but here those words in my head. If you don't know the song, read the lyrics below and take them with you in your head to see the movie. It was an enhancement I now cherish.

A big thanks for the tip Zipster....
I think I will print out the words to that and go over them with the group of friends I am going to see it with this Sunday.
02-25-2004 19:47 HEMISPHERICALHEADS is offline Send an Email to HEMISPHERICALHEADS Homepage of HEMISPHERICALHEADS Search for Posts by HEMISPHERICALHEADS Add HEMISPHERICALHEADS to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

An important distinction Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"Jews killed Jesus" because he was in Jerusalem. If the continents were different and Jesus was crucified in Boise, then you could argue that Idahoans killed Jesus... But let's not see this as the faith of Judaism, because that's what's causing the strife, so much as it is the people of a region where Christ was crucified. Putting names to it reinforces the disconnect the movie sets to tear down.

How so?

It's not that the Jews chose Barrabbas, it's that humanity took the easy way out instead of confronting the truth, and our own sin, head on. The movie shows the Son of God taking the hard path that was expected, that was MEANT, for every single one of us. Now, in our enlightened modern mindset, we see Jesus getting laid out in a holy headlock by Roman centurians, and his inert body is strapped to a cross, all clean and neat. Jesus mumbles and dies and, three days later, he exits the tomb with baskets of Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and Marshmallow Peeps.

The movie graphically and disturbingly portrays what, by all credible accounts, crucifixion was: a slow mutilation to scare the masses "straight". We complain that it's too bloody, it glorifies the cult of death rather than the glory of God, that it is the image of mangled meat on the sticks versus the risen messiah, partly because there's truth in arguing that way. But deep down, we're also a little convicted.

There's the disconnect falling away. We start asking ourselves, was it that horrible? Did this man suffer this way? And the reason he suffered as such is because he was taking on humanity's just burden?

I'm not surprised people are horrified about the movie. I'm not surprised that they're condemning it as they are. I'm not even surprised they're attacking Mel Gibson as a radical, a Jew-hater and a gore monger. They attack because that's all they've got. In the face of an awesome and heartbreaking reinterpretation of what this act was, all they have is words as they seek to shore up their walls, connection by connection, hoping that they'll feel better tomorrow and this will all just go away.

DwD

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by DwDunphy: 02-26-2004 10:32.

02-26-2004 09:06 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Pages (14): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Passion Of The Christ

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH