Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Whats your favorite DA concert experience? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Whats your favorite DA concert experience? 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Whats your favorite DA concert experience? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Give a review of the best, most memorable DA, Eddies
or Lost Dogs show you've seen...

(Some people have never got to see them.)

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-27-2004 17:43 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Theo Theo is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

My ONLY DA gig Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

was 2002 at Cornerstone. It was so cool. To make matters more perfect, Rob Watson was with them, so they did a lot of VOX tunes and Dopple tunes--which I really love. So it was perfect.

The next night the Dogs played and that was my first all out, full band version, of the Dogs. So that was fabulous too!!!! Big Grin Cool
07-27-2004 18:03 Theo is offline Send an Email to Theo Homepage of Theo Search for Posts by Theo Add Theo to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Theo: theo@sterlingdrivechurch.com YIM Account Name of Theo: the_obrastoff
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That was very cool, Theo. It would have been even more cool had i known you then and sat with you.

That was the first time i heard "Joel" live, and it was fabulous. "Travelogue" was another highlite for me. They blew all of the corn out of it's husks for miles around with that one! That was the only time i have seen Rob live with the band. That was fun. i had seen him back up Tonio K before, and he used to lead worship for our church in San Luis Obispo.
07-27-2004 18:53 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Theo Theo is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

wow Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yah. Wished we had known one another then. Was a fun night.

Rob led worship for y'all?

I'm hopeful that Rob will be able to attend that Saturday night in Simi Valley.
07-27-2004 19:01 Theo is offline Send an Email to Theo Homepage of Theo Search for Posts by Theo Add Theo to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Theo: theo@sterlingdrivechurch.com YIM Account Name of Theo: the_obrastoff
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You better hope he has not caught wind of your humorous material for the evening. Shocked
07-27-2004 19:05 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Administrator

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

The one that sticks out to me the most is Cornerstone 90
Daniel Amos, Randy Stonehill and the Swirling Eddies.

Before the show we had a chance to go backstage for a minute
thanks to our trusty guide Podgy Gooliota....
and I remember the guys sitting around on folding chairs and a
punch bowl of M&Ms. And of course a full case of Grape Nehi
Chocolate Action Beverage.

Later we ended up outside the locked door which had a scrawny
preteen guard.... standing in line to get in. This was in the
olden days.. and here comes Rob Watson through the crowd,
and the miniscule guard tried to stop him from entering...
"I'm in the band!!!" or something to that effect was heard.

Incredible show, Daniel Amos set was pretty long and Randy's
set was simliar to the One Night in 20 Years video...same outfit.
The Eddies set was great...the dress Berger had on, I mean
wow, simply ravishing.... can you say Sandi Patti?

The encore of covers was great with Randy joining them on stage
..."We Gotta Get out Of This Place" seemed extremely fitting since
we were in some sort of 110 degree metal bunker for the last
few hours. ...........It was HOT! zibbidy bap boom blah, pow
pow pow....

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-27-2004 19:17 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

I have had the pleasure of seeing them many times. The Odeum, C-Stone several times, Northwestern U and a few other places. Here are a few that stand out.

The Northwestern U show. I still have the Alarma promo poster for that one. It was in a small section of the school cafeteria. They did two shows. The stage was about 4 inches high and kept coming apart. Near the end, Terry said that they had to wrap it up because there were three people waiting for the next show. There could not have been more than 50 people there. I couldn't drive yet so, my folks took us.

Another is the year at C-Stone when it was still in Grayslake. I remember them opening with Revolution. The show started on a high note and didn't come down. It was a great memory. In the middle of that show, Terry started doing some weird thing while the other guys started a conga line that took us out of the building and back.

I have a couple not so good memories too. The first time seeing them without Jerry. I think Greg is a great addition to the band but, I really liked watching Jerry. I was bummed that he wasn't there anymore. It was good to see him with the Eddies again. Another is from the MBD tour. I was living in Boston when they came through New Hampshire. I had seen them several times in the Chicago area and in California so, I expected rabid fans to be there early waiting to get in. Just a few minutes before show time, there was only a handful of people waiting. They deserved better than that. I'm sure everyone else at that festival was at something that sucked in comparison.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
07-27-2004 20:18 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

Mad it has been so looong ago... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I forgot...

I think it was pretty CooL Cool though...

07-28-2004 07:08 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
studio246
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 04-22-2002

Best DA concert ever Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Without a doubt it was the 1984 tour, between Doppelganger and Vox Humana. I'm not sure how we persuaded our youth minister to book them, but DA came to my home church in Lexington, Kentucky (perhaps it was our band's constant insistance and relentless evangelizing of Horrendous/Alarma/Doppelganger.) As cool as the records were, they didn't prepare us for "The Living Room" tour.

It combined elements of the Doppelganger stage/theme with Vox Humana's Simmons (electronic) drum kit and synthy textures. The band wearing those eerie translucent masks with built-in mouth lights to open the show... Mannequins wrapped in day-glo yarn, blacklights, 3-D rear screen projection, a "cage" of lights around Terry during "Sanctuary..." Remember, kids, there was NOTHING like this in 80s Christian concerts. Most CCM bands' idea of stage production was a fog machine.

The band kicked off with "Travelogue" and never slowed down (except for a cover of "Misty" in the middle of "I Didn't Build It For Me." Crowd participation, hysterical antics & costumes, a conga line during "Dance Stop..."

By far the most moving element, though, was the use of Disney's Pinnochio as a metaphor for "becoming real" in Christ. At first, we weren't quite sure why those audio clips were playing between the songs. But by the time they played "The Double" we were all getting it. So when the last song ended, the stage went dark and "When You Wish Upon A Star" played over the P.A., I got goosebumps (still do to this day.) I decided that night that "becoming real" was what I wanted.

I've seen DA and the Eddies a few times since then, but nothing floored me like that concert. Tons more money is spent on stage production these days, but nobody ever spent more thought on how it can support a message like that.

Steve B
07-28-2004 09:25 studio246 is offline Send an Email to studio246 Search for Posts by studio246 Add studio246 to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

I have only seen DA once & The Swirling Eddies played the same day.

They seemed to be having more fun on the Eddies stuff, that was a better much concert.

07-28-2004 09:53 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Cool
07-28-2004 09:54 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Ceremonial Kernel

RE: Best DA concert ever Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by studio246
Without a doubt it was the 1984 tour, between Doppelganger and Vox Humana. I'm not sure how we persuaded our youth minister to book them, but DA came to my home church in Lexington, Kentucky (perhaps it was our band's constant insistance and relentless evangelizing of Horrendous/Alarma/Doppelganger.) As cool as the records were, they didn't prepare us for "The Living Room" tour.

It combined elements of the Doppelganger stage/theme with Vox Humana's Simmons (electronic) drum kit and synthy textures. The band wearing those eerie translucent masks with built-in mouth lights to open the show... Mannequins wrapped in day-glo yarn, blacklights, 3-D rear screen projection, a "cage" of lights around Terry during "Sanctuary..." Remember, kids, there was NOTHING like this in 80s Christian concerts. Most CCM bands' idea of stage production was a fog machine.

The band kicked off with "Travelogue" and never slowed down (except for a cover of "Misty" in the middle of "I Didn't Build It For Me." Crowd participation, hysterical antics & costumes, a conga line during "Dance Stop..."

By far the most moving element, though, was the use of Disney's Pinnochio as a metaphor for "becoming real" in Christ. At first, we weren't quite sure why those audio clips were playing between the songs. But by the time they played "The Double" we were all getting it. So when the last song ended, the stage went dark and "When You Wish Upon A Star" played over the P.A., I got goosebumps (still do to this day.) I decided that night that "becoming real" was what I wanted.

I've seen DA and the Eddies a few times since then, but nothing floored me like that concert. Tons more money is spent on stage production these days, but nobody ever spent more thought on how it can support a message like that.

Steve B

Wow!! That sounds like a great one. Wish I could have been there.

07-28-2004 09:54 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

By far the most moving element, though, was the use of Disney's Pinnochio as a metaphor for "becoming real" in Christ.

as the most ever present incarnation of his conscience-
Here Here - I agree.

See- I'm a bit metaphorical myself..and established my acronym after hearing the live track version of Real Girls- a bonus track on Doppleganger..

Sounds like lots of elements of the Anaheim DVD- but to have been there...
dude- you ROCK!

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-28-2004 09:56 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
freak freak is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-270.jpg

Registration Date: 11-13-2003

Attention Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

'90 C-stone - a great show with DA!!

Truly a highlight. Audiori covered it well -- a real fun and high energy show - with Greg getting mauled by the guys at the end of the show.

2001 C-stone - MBD

An epiphany - my first time hearing the MBD material - it was amazing... the guys decked out in black suits... it was cool.

Only thing that was a drag was they were sans T. Chandler. It was still great! Phil Madeira on hammond. Ed beating the @#$% out the skins. Greg tore it up. Terry in great voice. It was a great show. ...And so it Goes - blew me away. Who's who Here - was outrageous!!! the whole show started with Beuchners Dream coming out over the PA as the boys came out and they launched right into "This Is The One." Beautiful. Of course the show ended with Joel.

Great stuff.

~f

dit, dit, doo
07-28-2004 10:50 freak is offline Send an Email to freak Homepage of freak Search for Posts by freak Add freak to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

My first was the '84 show in Wheaton, the combo Doppelganger tour with Vox Humana added on. 'Dance Stop' got them in trouble.

My last was c-stone 2002 and Lifest. (c-stone 2003 doesn't count because DA wasn't there.)

My favorite was c-stone 2001 with Phil Madeira. Great set with MBD tunes thrown into the mix. Rhetorically, how in the world did they survive the heat with those black suits???

John

07-28-2004 12:12 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
jollyholiday
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
The one that sticks out to me the most is Cornerstone 90
Daniel Amos, Randy Stonehill and the Swirling Eddies.

I think that was my favorite show as well. Didn't the Eddies have a female performing with them wearing a coon skin cap and going by the name of "Mary Baker Eddie"?

I think Terry & Randy did a Beatles tune in the encore as well.

-jolly
07-28-2004 12:41 jollyholiday is offline Send an Email to jollyholiday Search for Posts by jollyholiday Add jollyholiday to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

Thumb Up! o.k. o.k. September 29, 1984 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Daniel Amos - Minneapolis, MN. at the Old state theater Smile front Row Pleased

of course, I was there to see JerusaLem who DA opened for Cool

07-28-2004 15:28 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

RE: o.k. o.k. September 29, 1984 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DaLe

Who organized that event? Seems like a strange combo.

07-28-2004 15:33 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

RE: o.k. o.k. September 29, 1984 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by sprinklerhead
quote:
Originally posted by DaLe

Who organized that event? Seems like a strange combo.

maybe a little strange. but remember this was '84 so DA was in the
VoX era & JerusaLem the Can't Stop Us Now era
not really all that different... the show was a little strange DA was set
up on the Floor in front of the stage & Jerusalem was set on the stage?
it made for a very short intermission Cool just a tear down of DA and
Jerusalem rocked the place down... Great night, Great Show.

07-28-2004 15:45 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
Administrator

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

Cornerstone 90....yeah Sharron McCall, Jerry's wife was
Mary Baker Eddy. Yeah "I Want To Hold Your Hand".

07-28-2004 15:51 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Whats your favorite DA concert experience?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH