Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Intro. to Mr. Taylor? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Intro. to Mr. Taylor?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
HemispericalHead HemispericalHead is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 08-14-2002

Intro. to Mr. Taylor? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm curious to what or how others were introduced to DA and/or other Terry Taylor related stuff?

I was in Florida about ten years ago (I live in Michigan) at Longs CHristian Music. They had a box full of budget priced cassettes. I dug in a found Vox Humana. .99 cents!
I did not really like it.After that I heard the Lost Dogs Scenic Route and said to myself: " Man This Terry Taylor guy has written the bulk of the material, hmmmn, where have I heard that name, ah DA."

A year later I ordered (I guess you can call me a sucker.)Kalhoun from Radrockers for Five bucks! sealed!
Now that was good...I've since bought about 15 or so others since, including Alarma Chronicles bookset. I'm hooked now.
This guy amazes me with his output. He write more material than ANYBODy around at the present. Look at how many bands he's involved with! And we're not talking run of the mill earcandy here! It's Philosophy set to music.....
08-23-2002 20:04 HemispericalHead is offline Send an Email to HemispericalHead Search for Posts by HemispericalHead Add HemispericalHead to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

In junior high, my youth minister set up a record (lps) library that we could check out albums from. It was cool. He had a copy of Rock around the World which included "Home Permanent." I thought it was groovy and started hunting for all things DA. I now have over 50 CDs and I don't know how many lps. I also have a bunch of V/A stuff that Terry or Terry and Co. have contributed to. Crazy!! Big Grin

08-23-2002 20:09 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Thread Starter Thread Started by HemispericalHead
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

brdhsnyrsoul:
Crazy!!

No, not really. But 50 discs? wow. I got a ways to go. The artist that I have the most discs of?
Larry Norman. Probably about 40. Him only...
08-23-2002 20:15 HemispericalHead is offline Send an Email to HemispericalHead Search for Posts by HemispericalHead Add HemispericalHead to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

My wife would disagree. She thinks I'm nuts. She doesn't understand why I need three different versions of Shotgun Angel on CD. Two versions of Knowlege and Innocence, the book set and each of the CDs on its own, and on and on. It's really sort of an obsession I guess. I'm still mad I missed the DA club cassettes from years ago (the swirling mellow stuff). I did get the CD with SM and Meet the Farm Beetles. Very weird stuff. I also have the Alternative Records stuff and the Brow Beat stuff, and on and on. As Daniel Amos puts it: "It's Sick"

08-23-2002 20:19 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Yeah, I can sort of relate. My wife never really says anything, but she knows I've got a problem. My friend calls me the other day, (My only Taylor fan friend around here!) to inform me that there are two new limited CDs coming out for a total of thirty bucks, I then tell him your about to see a man pull thirty bucks out of his.....Well you can only guess where.. My wife looks at me like I'm sick!
08-23-2002 20:26 HemispericalHead is offline Send an Email to HemispericalHead Search for Posts by HemispericalHead Add HemispericalHead to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

I know what you mean. I actually stayed on line at the time the CDs came available so I could get really low #s. I know it doesn't really matter, but......I got #15 on the ten gallon hat deal.

08-23-2002 20:37 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

My dad listened to DA when I was young...

He died when I was 14...

Just recently I reaquainted myself with DA/Swirling Eddies and seemed to remember some of Alarma! and Kalhoun.

He left:
Alarma!
Motorcycle
Kalhoun
Bootleg '82
Outdoor Elvis
The Miracle Faith Telethon

Vox Humana and Doppelganger on vinyl.

and I recently bought MBD.

08-23-2002 21:06 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Dark Steamy Cabbage

quote:
Originally posted by brdhsnyrsoul
I know what you mean. I actually stayed on line at the time the CDs came available so I could get really low #s. I know it doesn't really matter, but......I got #15 on the ten gallon hat deal.

No,. it does matter!!!

Seriously though, I like to get low #'s myself.
I have not gone throught he extremes you have but trust me, if given the op. I would.....\
What # is your Alarma bookset?
I waited too long.
Mine is 1111.
08-23-2002 21:15 HemispericalHead is offline Send an Email to HemispericalHead Search for Posts by HemispericalHead Add HemispericalHead to your Buddy List
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

I bought Alarma on 8 Track in 1981. My life was never the same after that.

08-23-2002 22:11 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I don't even know who's Dan or who's Amos, I just come here for the message board. And who is this Terry guy you keep talking about?

BD

08-24-2002 00:08 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

I was raised on Shotgun Angel. I now have almost everything on CD except their first one and DFBB as well as Outdoor Elvis. Still waiting for the re-releases. I was listening to Alternative Worship tonight and the songs Terry sang are beautiful. Anybody have that CD???

08-24-2002 00:54 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
I was raised on Shotgun Angel. I now have almost everything on CD except their first one and DFBB as well as Outdoor Elvis. Still waiting for the re-releases. I was listening to Alternative Worship tonight and the songs Terry sang are beautiful. Anybody have that CD???

It's a great CD. I have it and love it.
LK-9

08-24-2002 00:56 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith

I have the CD too.

08-24-2002 14:37 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Lost Canine
I bought Alarma on 8 Track in 1981. My life was never the same after that.

Big Grin The only way to have it! Tongue

08-24-2002 14:51 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

There is a "before DA" and "After DA" way of looking at Christian muisc. Once your hooked on the real stuff, you never look backSmile )

My first DA was dfbb, but I did not like it for a long time. I really did not "get" dfbb until after I bought FS and the Miracle Faith Telethon.

08-24-2002 14:53 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I haven't listed to MFT in quite awhile. I really need to get it out and listen to it.

08-24-2002 14:56 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
I haven't listed to MFT in quite awhile. I really need to get it out and listen to it.

We have Negative fruit here people! Big Grin

08-24-2002 15:02 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
skykinglvr
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

I'm 45 and I go back to the beginning when Daniel Amos was primarily a country band. I bought their first album because I really liked "Aint Gonna Fight It" from Maranatha 5. Then when I went to a 4 year Christian liberal arts college, they played one night in concert. Some complained about how loud they were, but I loved it.
Then came "Shotgun Angel" which I snatched up. I waited eagerly for their next release, but it was not soon in coming. Before HD was released, I heard them again in an outdoor Jesus Music concert and it was obvious their music was changing because they played a lot of what ended up on HD. But I loved the new music and was fascinated by it. I snatched up HD on cassette when it came out, and was astonished when "Alarma" came out just 2 months later! What really blew me away from that point on was that no two albums ever sounded the same! I picked up all the Alarma Chronicles albums as they were released, then DFBG
and Kalhoun. I didn't know who the Swirling Eddies were until I gave them a test listen, and realized they had to be a Terry Taylor band. I've picked up everything since except "Swirling Mellow" and "Meat the Farm Beetles."
Then of course there were his solo albums, and the Lost Dogs releases. After having to wait years to get some releases, it's so exciting to have so many re-releases and new recordings becoming available. Right now I'm waiting for "Imaginarium" to hear another side of Terry, and "Hodgepodge and Random Acts when it's released."
08-24-2002 15:14 skykinglvr is offline Send an Email to skykinglvr Search for Posts by skykinglvr Add skykinglvr to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Sounds like you've been doing well.

08-24-2002 15:16 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

I did not hear "Shotgun Angel" until 1990. When "Nigh & Days" started you could have knocked me over with a stick.Big Grin

That's cool that you followed them all through the changes. That is really neat Big Grin

BTW, You need to post more Smile )

quote:
Originally posted by skykinglvr
I'm 45 and I go back to the beginning when Daniel Amos was primarily a country band. I bought their first album because I really liked "Aint Gonna Fight It" from Maranatha 5. Then when I went to a 4 year Christian liberal arts college, they played one night in concert. Some complained about how loud they were, but I loved it.
Then came "Shotgun Angel" which I snatched up. I waited eagerly for their next release, but it was not soon in coming. Before HD was released, I heard them again in an outdoor Jesus Music concert and it was obvious their music was changing because they played a lot of what ended up on HD. But I loved the new music and was fascinated by it. I snatched up HD on cassette when it came out, and was astonished when "Alarma" came out just 2 months later! What really blew me away from that point on was that no two albums ever sounded the same! I picked up all the Alarma Chronicles albums as they were released, then DFBG
and Kalhoun. I didn't know who the Swirling Eddies were until I gave them a test listen, and realized they had to be a Terry Taylor band. I've picked up everything since except "Swirling Mellow" and "Meat the Farm Beetles."
Then of course there were his solo albums, and the Lost Dogs releases. After having to wait years to get some releases, it's so exciting to have so many re-releases and new recordings becoming available. Right now I'm waiting for "Imaginarium" to hear another side of Terry, and "Hodgepodge and Random Acts when it's released."

08-24-2002 15:24 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Intro. to Mr. Taylor?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH