Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Avocado Club » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Avocado Club 2 Votes - Average Rating: 5.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

We will send you the discs....

"I do know we have a stack of the second Avocado disc,
we could get some of the first one and offer them for a small
price to those that missed out originally...after we make sure
those that are still owed receive theirs.
"

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
01-03-2005 19:26 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Wink Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

oh the fine print! Tongue

01-03-2005 21:37 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by dorfsmith
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
We will send you the discs....

"I do know we have a stack of the second Avocado disc,
we could get some of the first one and offer them for a small
price to those that missed out originally...after we make sure
those that are still owed receive theirs.
"

Thanks audiori. Throw em in with imaginarium and save some shipping Tongue

01-04-2005 10:14 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
voxrob
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-02-2003

Future clubs Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"Thats what Mike wanted to do with the 77s Christmas CD,
he just wanted to sel it. I don't think he was keen on the idea
that was originally promised; that those songs would not be
offered again in any other way. I remember a quote of his
to the effect of "you mean they are doomed to cardboard hell?"
I think Mike liked the songs enough he wanted to sometime
present them in a better format."

I don't blame him. At first, a club like this seems really exclusive -- "ooh, once we get our club CD, no one will ever get this again". I'm not sure this is a good idea for anybody. Anyone who cares enough to join a club like this will spend a few bucks on a special little EP release when they come out every so often (rather than making it simply for "members only"). I'm not sure how more buyers are generated with a club. The only upswing from the fans perspective, I think, is that once in awhile a surprise disc ends up in the mailbox (sort of like when I get a shipment from my wine club).

From the artists perspective, what would they put on a disc like this? If the stuff is really good, why not make it more widely available? I'm just not sure where the big advantage is -- especially since, once the club is established, the artist "owes" the fans a couple of discs each year.

The Audioris are in the worst situation here -- they are running the store, as it were, but have zero power in providing services. Perhaps after the experiences with 2 clubs that maybe the idea needs to just go away unless the person running the program can be sure that
1) the fans will be satisfied with what they get for what they spend,
2) the artist will not feel hostage to a particular schedule of releases (aside from their real releases for real money) -- and feel a bit resentful as a result
3) the people running the program don't get blamed by the fans for not providing what the fans paid for and get blamed by the artist for causing a ruckus amongst the fan-base.

I don't know what's been happening in 77-land, but there have been several different types of programs tried for Terry/DA releases, and it seems like a standard sale model -- with no tricks or promises of exclusivity -- works the best. Granted, folks aren't thrilled about the delay of Jubal and the MBD DVD, but we knew that these were not on a schedule (no one made promises, most know what's happened in the past). That's fine -- I have no problem with this. It's the other types of projects that just kind of didn't seem like they worked well. Why cause more frustration for everyone?

Frankly, at some point, I would like to see Terry, DA, whoever, just put the CD together and pop it out there if it doesn't require some long, drawn-out fan-input. Maybe, with the historical recording after Jubal, just don't say anything, just get it done, surprise everybody. It will be a nice change from the elephantine gestation periods that seem to precede each release.
01-04-2005 18:38 voxrob is offline Send an Email to voxrob Search for Posts by voxrob Add voxrob to your Buddy List
Prodigal Dog
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 05-17-2002
Location: Dude, be straight, be true. What is shakin' and bakin'? - Jish from the Blair Thumb

RE: Avocado Club Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes,

I signed up for the fan club also (new subscriber) and never got a thing. I just kind of gave up after so long of not getting any response about it.
01-06-2005 05:37 Prodigal Dog is offline Search for Posts by Prodigal Dog Add Prodigal Dog to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

I'm glad I started this thread Cool

01-06-2005 11:00 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

RE: Future clubs Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by voxrob

Frankly, at some point, I would like to see Terry, DA, whoever, just put the CD together and pop it out there if it doesn't require some long, drawn-out fan-input. Maybe, with the historical recording after Jubal, just don't say anything, just get it done, surprise everybody. It will be a nice change from the elephantine gestation periods that seem to precede each release.

That's the goal. Smile

Unfortunately, one of the side effects of the poor communcation and poorly
thought out arrangements over the last couple of years was a bunch of
rather large credit card bills. For whatever reason, we did not get paid
back for many of the production investments we made over the last couple
of years. For that reason, it's very difficult for us to put something out the
way we did at the beginning. We're very close to getting things back to the
way they should be, but it takes time to pay down those debts. To make
matters worse, since there wasn't a lot of resources available to release
things over 2002-2003, a lot of the things that were released had to be
released through other companies. The downside of that was that it
reduced the cashflow on the store's side and made things ten times worse
with trying to pay down these production debts. I think Warm&Filled was
slowly moving towards shutting down.. they wanted to keep things
coming out for tours, but they were also trying to reduce their own
involvement by hooking up with other companies. While it was probably
best for W&F, it actually put us in a terrible situation and pretty much left
us broke. Thats mainly why 2004 has been a year of rebuilding and very
little else.

"Imaginarium" is the first thing we've been able to do in a long time the
correct way - and thats only because of the thoughtful investment of a
couple of fans. We're hoping that once the DA/JLB release is done,
we might be in a position to release the next project without a preorder
or outside investment. That's the goal anyway.

The Eddies delay is largely financial (partly for the reasons mentioned
above, and partly just because producing a new full size album is
extremely expensive). The DA/JLB and MrBD DVD delays are just regular
production delays. The DA/JLB release is already paid for and ready to
be manufactured the second Tom Gulotta and Terry are done with it.
The making of MrBD DVD is very close to being finished and we hope to
be able to pay for production on our own.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
01-06-2005 14:23 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
jaymund jaymund is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Home of the (almost) world champions SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

how bout online fan club? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

have you thought of having the club be online only. i was perusing the violet burnings site and their club is lifetime $25 and it opens up additional website pages with mp3 downloads and movie/excerpt footage of concerts, studio, on tour and other stuff. it also has additional band information and bunch of other stuff. it's very well done.

by doing the club this way it would eliminate the cost of producing and sending cd's (and then there were the free t-shirts to make up for the delay of the fan disc) etc. which had to be costly as well as a logistical nightmare keeping track of members. sounds like it may never be over.

if its online, fans could download whatever you put up there and knowing da and 77's fans, even if it was terry sneezing, it would get downloaded.

i think that it would keep fans happy and once its up and going, relatively easy to maintain. the guys may have fun putting up goofy in studio or on the road footage/photos and old demo's as well as unreleased demo's, rough mixes, etc.
01-12-2005 15:33 jaymund is offline Send an Email to jaymund Search for Posts by jaymund Add jaymund to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Now that's an idea Tongue

01-12-2005 15:42 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

So long as those who have paid for the downloads do not go distributing them to those who have not - spoils the purpose a bit....

I'm in for that idea of an on-line club.

01-12-2005 16:23 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Grand Encephalon

You mean...all those people who burned me DA CD's were bad Shocked

Big Grin

01-12-2005 17:15 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

oh... i thought kmg, that is keeping all this great music out of print was bad? Confused

Mad

Cool
01-12-2005 17:21 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Grand Encephalon

Big Grin

01-12-2005 17:25 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

RE: Future clubs Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by voxrob
At first, a club like this seems really exclusive -- "ooh, once we get our club CD, no one will ever get this again". I'm not sure this is a good idea for anybody. Anyone who cares enough to join a club like this will spend a few bucks on a special little EP release when they come out every so often (rather than making it simply for "members only").

I could not agree more! Very well put! Pleased

01-12-2005 17:58 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Pedantic
So long as those who have paid for the downloads do not go distributing them to those who have not - spoils the purpose a bit....

That happens anyways! Roll Eyes

01-12-2005 17:59 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Shocked You burn your DA CD's Shocked

Tongue

01-12-2005 18:01 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

RE: how bout online fan club? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jaymund
even if it was terry sneezing, it would get downloaded.

I think they are saving that for the next Dr Edward Daniel Taylor CD! Tongue

01-12-2005 18:01 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

RE: how bout online fan club? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
Originally posted by jaymund
even if it was terry sneezing, it would get downloaded.

I think they are saving that for the next Dr Edward Daniel Taylor CD! Tongue

Double Rar Big Grin

01-12-2005 18:02 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

A couple things on the downloadable stuff...we thought about
doing like Wilco did...have a secret page with an EP or whatever
to download...it's possible it might happen at some point. I know
the intention is to have some Swirling Eddies stuff that way for
the preorderers...which is pretty much everyone I think.

There are non-internet fans though. Some just order through
the mail.

We have run an idea by Terry concerning special fan releases
and he liked the idea...once he has the time to organize it a
little. We kinda want to let the cat out of the bag to see what
everyone thinks, but at the same time we need to wait and see
exactly how Terry wants to do the stuff before we say too much.

01-12-2005 19:41 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Yeah that 6 song CD is really cool that Wilco did.

Glass Harp has a bunch of cool stuff like that too! Pleased

01-12-2005 19:43 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Avocado Club

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH