Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » which one is "weird?" » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page which one is "weird?"
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by Dr Rich
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
For me Farm Beetles, and Sacred Cows have the same effect on me as Spittle And Phlegm.
First when my brothers, cousins and friends get together some of our humor is similar.. so when they make
a joke or something that sounds like something we would do
that makes me laugh.
And second, I can apreciate the guys playing the fool
just for the sole purpose of making people laugh.
Kind of like the whole "Happy Wanderer" song in concert,
I like the fact that Terry is willing to be silly..
just to make us all laugh.
Or like in Cornerstone 90, when they did "I am Woman"
in concert. I guess when I listen to the Farm Beetles
or Sacred Cows I feel like I am in on the joke in a way.
I can just see them in the studio making up those words
just to crack each other up.

As far as Doppelganger and Alarma being weird, I can see how
people would see them that way. But, I never really thought of it when they came out. To me maybe certain songs seem a little weird but some of it doesn't.
I grew up with the Beatles music, Revolver, Sgt Pepper,
Magical Mystery Tour, etc and other similar music, so songs that were experimental and like nothing I'd ever heard before was both what I was used to and what I was looking for. The only thing that kept me interested in music was new
sounds. Doppelganger and Alarma was that for me.
I had friends that were not used to any Christian music that
when they heard DA, they didn't think the music was weird
but they thought it was totally odd to have that kind of music with a Christian message.... they REALLY thought that was weird.

jason

I love Terry's sense of humor. I think S&P is like Terry coming over to you house and making fun of the cable access with you. He lets us in on his private jokes. It's great.

I have to agree that if DG and Alarma were secular albums I would not occur to me to think they are weird.

I love 'em both. Thank God for Terry! Big Grin

09-04-2002 10:23 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Gamgee
quote:
Originally posted by Mark
quote:
Originally posted by brdhsnyrsoul
I'm afraid that there's no help for enjoying them. They're pretty far out there. I pretty much agree that I have them primarily to complete the collection. Sacred Cows just hurts.

Actually, truth be told, DITTO.

Shame on both of you... Sacred Cows is wonderful... it's a classic...

Amen! Farm Beetles too Wink

09-04-2002 10:24 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

I've never actually heard Farm Beetles myself... is it worth looking for?
09-04-2002 10:27 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

it's kinda like wild & drunken hill-billy versions of Beatles songs. I like it... but it's pretty strange.

09-04-2002 10:32 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

I'm gonna have to get it, I think...
09-04-2002 10:37 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Gamgee
I'm gonna have to get it, I think...

you get the swirling mellow as wellWink

09-04-2002 10:43 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

yeah Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:
Originally posted by Mark
And colorful

and she likes sailboats! Big Grin

haven't been sailing this year........will have to get to my sister's and DO that before the season is done Smile

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

09-04-2002 11:18 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

OKAY, THAT'S IT! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Brother JiminY is going to have to let me sit down and listen to Sacred Cows and Farm Beetles - which I'm sure he has.........I've heard a little of Cows, and thought it hilarious.

that boy's been holdin' out on me!!!

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

09-04-2002 11:39 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Woggy
Brother JiminY is going to have to let me sit down and listen to Sacred Cows and Farm Beetles - which I'm sure he has.........I've heard a little of Cows, and thought it hilarious.

that boy's been holdin' out on me!!!

You'll dig it the most Wink

09-05-2002 16:15 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Lucy Lucy is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 05-16-2002

They are great! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I must admit that I skip over Swirling Mellow, but The Farm Beetles is so hillarious. The first time I played it I was rolling on the floor, too funny! I haven't heard Sacred Cows...the whole point is that wacky sense of humor! I love it. That's what impressed me about the Eddies when i first heard Outdoor Elvis, just a bunch of guys out there having a laugh, with good music to boot, sort of, not really, but sort of like Tenacious D(forgive me, but i is sort of the same)
Sort of also reminds me of The classics like Dead Milkmen, and They might be Giants as far as the humor goes as well.
lucy
09-05-2002 18:05 Lucy is offline Send an Email to Lucy Homepage of Lucy Search for Posts by Lucy Add Lucy to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

Ummmmmm....I don't think so.....TMBG stuff is really silly lyrically, but the music and production are just dang incredible. Farm Beetles and Sacred Cows seem to be a joke all the way.....

09-05-2002 18:25 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Drink bathtub gin and listen to The Farm Beetles. What an evening!

09-05-2002 18:37 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Now that might actually be enjoyable.

09-05-2002 18:41 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Could be

09-05-2002 18:41 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Let me know....

09-05-2002 18:43 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

I'll have to look for that bathtub gin recipe. It's here somewhere...

09-05-2002 18:44 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

TMBG lyrics may sound silly, and it's certainly not wrong to take them at face value... But each of their songs tells a story... Sometimes it's so intellectual and out there it blows me away.

09-06-2002 00:55 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
anne
A Hot Wolly

for truly Xtreme silliness, there's always the bonzo dog doo dah band (or, sometimes, just the bonzo dog band).
has anyone else ever been afflicted w/the bdddb??
09-06-2002 08:44 anne is offline Send an Email to anne Homepage of anne Search for Posts by anne Add anne to your Buddy List
Dr. Sticky Dr. Sticky is a male
Mind Peach

quote:
Originally posted by anne
for truly Xtreme silliness, there's always the bonzo dog doo dah band (or, sometimes, just the bonzo dog band).
has anyone else ever been afflicted w/the bdddb??

I have. They are great. Neil Innes went on to do The Rutles music.

In keeping with the theme of this thread. Alarma was what REALLY hooked to DA. I'd heard and loved Motorcycle and Zoom Daddy. Didn't really like Bibleland. THen my friend, who had all of DA's albums lent me Alarma and DG. At first it was Alarma all the way and i liked some of DG's song. I'd have to say that DG is my favorite DA album now. I think due to it's extreme weirdness and creativity. Alarma stands up with anything released at the time, in any catagory. DG surpasses everything.
09-06-2002 09:36 Dr. Sticky is offline Send an Email to Dr. Sticky Homepage of Dr. Sticky Search for Posts by Dr. Sticky Add Dr. Sticky to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

What about The Shaggs?

09-06-2002 12:11 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » which one is "weird?"

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH