Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » A Christmas Note from Terry » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page A Christmas Note from Terry 7 Votes - Average Rating: 10.007 Votes - Average Rating: 10.007 Votes - Average Rating: 10.007 Votes - Average Rating: 10.007 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Text A Christmas Note from Terry Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

A Christmas Note from Terry

Firstly, I’d like to wish you the fans, along with your families and friends, a truly blessed Christmas. That I cherish all of you goes without saying, but it’s especially during the holiday season that I take stock of all my blessings, and I truly count you among the many gracious gifts God has lovingly and lavishly bestowed upon me.
Our little house in Southern California is fully decorated now, thanks in no small part to my incredible wife, and the immediate family is blessedly all together. However, we greatly miss our dear departed Papa, especially now at Christmas. Mom has come in early from Palm Springs to stay with us through the rest of the year, and we were planning our annual pilgrimage after Christmas to the Bay Area to briefly visit Deb’s family.
Last Saturday night Debi, Andrew, Noelle, and I attended the Pasadena Playhouse’s theatrical presentation of “It’s A Wonderful Life,” which is a clever re-enactment of the 1947 Lux Radio broadcast of the original screenplay. The presentation is complete with commercials for Lux Soap, and the play features one member of the cast on stage playing various percussion instruments and devices to supply sound effects as we, the crowd, play the part of the in-studio audience. The actors were all excellent, the radio studio set was authentically retro, and we all left floating on a cloud of Christmas cheer and a heightened sense of the wonder of the season. Outside of the Gospels themselves, in my opinion there are no better films as agents of Grace or depictions of the power of repentance and redemption than “It’s A Wonderful Life,” and “A Christmas Carol” both films subtlety pointing the way to the wonder and glory of Emmanuel, God with us, the child in the manger.
On Christmas Eve, it’s a tradition for our family to select 2 Christmas-themed DVDs to watch—among them are the two films mentioned, along with “A Charlie Brown Christmas” (which we watch every year) and “A Christmas Story” (FRAGILE!), Miracle on 34th Street, and Pinnochio. Always a tough decision, but whatever the selection, we can be assured of a good dose of holiday warmth and contentment. To end the evening, maybe this year we’ll watch Psycho or Day of the Dead, just so we can keep ourselves from slipping to deeply into sloppy sentimentality.
Anyway—assuming you’re at all interested, my present reading includes some “Father Brown” (Chesterton), “Lanterns in the Snow” by Susan Hill, which is a bi-annual Christmas read. and which I believe is out of print but worth tracking down if you want a great Christmas story along with a good cry, “A Classic Christmas Crime,” edited by Tim Heald, “Father Joe,” a autobiography by Tommy Hendro (of Spinal Tap fame--he played the band’s manager), and various selections from “The Fireside Book of Christmas Stories,” edited by Edward Wagenknecht, unfortunately also out of print and probably the best Christmas anthology ever published. I first purchased this back in 1978 and have never missed a year since in choosing a few selections for reading from the extensive number of classic Holiday stories it has to offer.
So there you have it. A lot of reading, I know, but I sneak it in on Catscratch breaks and bedtimes.

Music recommendations for the season? Brian Wilson’s new What I Want For Christmas (excellent....will put a smile on your face and is highly recommended). The new Sigur Ros, Garrison Keillor’s “ The Christmas Companion,” and of course, the standards: Sinatra, Elvis, Perry Como, Nat Cole. My favorite Christmas song? Hands down “O Holy Night:”...’till He appeared and the soul felt it’s worth...” With it’s radiant truth and poignancy, the words and melody never fail to choke me up and cause me to lift my heart in worship to our gracious and merciful Lord.
This year has been a good one for the Lost Dogs. We toured very successfully back East (thank you to all the fans who came out to see us!) and, along with our good friend Theo Obrastoff, had a great little tour of Washington and Oregon. The Dogs also played Knott’s Berry Farm last week and the new year seems to be shaping up exceptionally well for us (we’ll keep you posted on this front as the year progresses).
As far as Daniel Amos is concerned, we’ve presently got some avid fans who are passionately after us to do a reunion concert somewhere here in the States next year, and we’ll just have to wait and see how this develops. Unfortunately, the odds are against it because of our various schedules and other logistical hurtles, but one never knows. My hope is that, at the very least, D.A. will do a new record in 2006.
Speaking of new records, I would like to offer my humble and deepest apologies to the fans for the new “horrendously delayed disc”—the Swirling Eddies’ record. As you guys probably know, my time has been eaten up with work on Catscratch. The schedule has been brutal, and we are soon going to move into work on the second season. I know that your patience has been exhausted on all this, and if I had known that Catscratch was going to fall into my lap when it did, I would have never committed so early to doing a new Eddies album. Unfortunately, all I can do is occasionally whittle away at the new songs and hope for enough of a break from the cartoon schedule so that we can begin the recording process in earnest. There are indeed some schedule gaps coming up, and I hope to take advantage of this and will do my best to fulfill my commitment to the project and you, the long-suffering fans.
In the meantime, be assured that this will be a great Eddies record (I’m really pleased with the songs thus far), and we’ll do something extra special for all of you who so long ago sent in your pre-orders. Again, my deepest heart-felt apologies, and I sincerely ask that you put aside any criticism of my dear friends Jason and Eric Townsend in this matter. They are just as frustrated as you guys are, I assure you, that this record has been so slow in materializing. They’ve done all that they can do in trying to move me and the project along towards completion, but all of us are against a fairly immovable object in Catscratch. With Jason and Eric, I couldn’t ask for two more faithful and hard-working men, and no one is more anxious than they in their desire to keep commitments and please the fans. There is no profit financially whatsoever for them—they do what they do for love alone, and for that I am always grateful and consider them both to be the very definition of “unsung heroes.” I take full responsibility and blame in the interminable delay, and ask that you graciously give these two dear people the support of your goodwill, just as you have done so graciously over these many years.
Lastly, please pray for the Townsends, and for me and my family, as we pray for you and yours. As long as God allows, and as long as you give your gracious support, I will continue to make music and hopefully bless and challenge you with my efforts.

As you may know, I had a health scare this year, and I am confident your prayers and good will helped get me through it. I am happy to report that I am doing well and feeling more fit than I have in years. My son is now assisting me in my work and prayers for him would be sincerely appreciated. Be sure and check out Myspace for downloads and a spiffy little personal bio, which Andrew helped put together. (myspace.com/terryscotttaylor.) Also pray for my dear friends Ken and Michelle VanEgmond and their family. In every possible way, they have been a source of infinite joy, comfort, and undying support for me and my family. I cherish these wonderful, wonderful people. Again, it would please me to no end if you would pray for the VanEgmonds, who are seeking the Lord’s specific direction concerning ministry in their lives.
Lastly, many of you knew our dear friend Dwight Ozard who passed away recently after a long, courageous fight with a deadly disease. He will be sorely missed. Dwight was a diligent and passionate warrior in defense of the less fortunate, and you can honor him and his memory by doing your bit to help those who are unable to help themselves, especially during the Christmas season. What could be more basic to us as the body of Christ than our obedience to the great commandment: “ Love your neighbor as you love yourselves.” I highly recommend supporting the Salvation Army in this regard. They are an honest and tireless force of grace and good in this often merciless world.
Again, blessings to all of you, and may you all experience the abundant joy and peace of Christ during this Christmas season and throughout the coming New Year. I love you all.

In the service of our Blessed Lord,
Terry Taylor

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
12-16-2005 20:36 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Pleased

12-16-2005 22:52 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
bigdork.2
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-231.jpg

Registration Date: 11-22-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool

12-16-2005 23:02 bigdork.2 is offline Send an Email to bigdork.2 Search for Posts by bigdork.2 Add bigdork.2 to your Buddy List
Scrimshaw Nick Scrimshaw Nick is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-387.jpg

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Bad news, Mom. I promised my soul to the devil this afternoon." "Oh? That recently?" ~ Calvin and Hobbes

I love that man!

Somebody cured my political apathy but I'm not allowed to say who it is in a signature on the Message Boards
12-17-2005 01:33 Scrimshaw Nick is offline Send an Email to Scrimshaw Nick Search for Posts by Scrimshaw Nick Add Scrimshaw Nick to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Scrimshaw Nick: piratescrimshaw
.backs.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2003
Location: "An autoposy will make him into a dorf-o-lantern on the Mesaage Boards ."

as do i

12-17-2005 02:58 .backs. is offline Send an Email to .backs. Search for Posts by .backs. Add .backs. to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 12-17-2005

That was a really nice letter.
12-17-2005 12:33 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

the dude had me at hello.

no really - when he mentioned the reason behind "Its a Wonderful Life"
and "A Christmas Carol" - I got majorly choked.

Well - he must know we love him too-

J and E- we love you too- for all the work you do, and as each year ends- we reflect on all the great effort to support DA .

OK - so if we dont get a Concert (sniff sniff)- I'll settle for a NEW RECORDING!

and hes apologizing for the Eddies Project so much he reminds me of Russell Crowe (My daughters addition as I write!)

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
12-17-2005 19:30 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

A Christmas Thought (or deux) of my own Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey there folks,

I think it is safe to say that, from tragedies and losses and cataclysym of 2005, no one is sorry to see this year go away. Thanks solely to the Lord for helping us survive it - our love goes with those who didn't.

I would just like folks out there to consider some things this holiday season... allow me to unspool.

Of all the gifts you can give, make this the primary one: a little kindness. People can have funny ways of working toward the celebration of Christ's birth; less like three kings on a mission and more like Atilla The Hun, hacking and slashing through shopping centers, and all who would stand in their path. I know. I work in retail and have seen some of the worst of what humanity has inside just spill out during these times. Don't forget that as you address that pimply-faced teen at the checkout counter, the one with one ear listening to you and the other on a secreted cellphone or I-Pod, you are addressing God. As you are nearly hit by cars trying to steal away parking spaces, you are in contention with God (in a way). So as you have done to the least of my bretheren, therefore you have done to me... So yeah, remember a little kindness.

There's a big argument going on right now about "Christmas" versus "Holiday Season". The phrase "Keep Christ In Christmas" is always at hand during this time period, but let's not mire ourselves in language dissectionals. Keep Christ the savior in this day, not just this abstract construct of letters and mouth sounds. We can fight over words all we want, but in the end does the fight have merit if we forsake the spiritualism for a misplaced sense of traditionalism? Rather than taking arms against your neighbor, the ACLU activist who wants the word "God" struck from the dollar bill, buy him a cup of coffee. Keep Christ in Christmas by keeping Christ in your focus.

Besides, I've always thought that God might be a little embarassed by having His name on our filthy cash...

Finally, try giving your family something you made. Go ahead and give them the digital camera too; I'm not out to be Captain Buzzkill or anything. But these times are precious, more than you know. Take the time to make something for them - a poem, a drawing, record a song, bake up some cookies, whatever. I lost a cousin this year to hepatitis. Several years ago, I thought of making some tapes for him. He always loved bands like Kiss and The Alman Bros. and such. I thought the 77s cover of Zeppelin's (and Willie Dixon) "Nobody's Fault But Mine" would have really lifted his spirits.

But I made excuses - I've never really been that close to Jody, maybe he won't like it, maybe he's be offended by my intruding into his situation - all of which are utter crap. Now he's gone, and so is my chance to have connected with a member of the family that might have needed me. What remains are might-have-been's, the questions and wondering if I could have been the difference he might have needed. So don't forget to give something you made. Don't waste any opportunity to connect. It's never a bad idea. Passing it off and forgetting is, however, almost always a bad idea.

God rest John Rue III.

That's about it. Sorry to have been some "stinkweed in the bouquet", but Christmas means a lot to me. It means that a loving God decided to enter this world of papercuts, splinters, ear infections, heartbreak and stones in our shoes in order to save us from ourselves - all of us. Even the dude protesting the manger scene out on the lawn. Let's have a good time and get a little schmaltzy, have a little too much food and sing some songs that we'd never sing otherwise. Hug a friend, kiss your loved ones, don't forget anyone - that's Jesus' real mission anyway, right?

Thanks for your time and I love all of you knuckleheads.
DwD
12-18-2005 00:35 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Scrimshaw Nick Scrimshaw Nick is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-387.jpg

Location: "Bad news, Mom. I promised my soul to the devil this afternoon." "Oh? That recently?" ~ Calvin and Hobbes

Thanks DwD (Darkwing Duck?)

That, too was an insp-ring note.

Somebody cured my political apathy but I'm not allowed to say who it is in a signature on the Message Boards
12-18-2005 03:57 Scrimshaw Nick is offline Send an Email to Scrimshaw Nick Search for Posts by Scrimshaw Nick Add Scrimshaw Nick to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Scrimshaw Nick: piratescrimshaw
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Wow, this is turning out to be a great thread. I mean, it started out a great thread, but it's stayed good...quite a feat. Merry Christmas to all.
12-18-2005 12:09 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

Cool

Audi bros, tell Terry thank you for the letter and Merry Christmas. Pleased

DwD, thanks for the reminder that we all need to hear at this time of year. I think the Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays debate has gotten out of hand. Christ is love, so when we say "Keep Christ in Christmas" we definitely need to "Keep Love in Christmas". Just my 2 cents. Wink

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
12-18-2005 16:45 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Go Bless us Everyone!

12-19-2005 07:56 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Cool cool letter from Terry, and good thoughts.

A new DA album Too! Shocked Cool Pleased

These "We Still Pray" and "Keep Christ in Christmas" things always kill me. While I am truly saddened they are coming to pass and the general state of affairs in the world, we have to remember this is the world after all. I'll just try to let my light shine the best I can.
Here is what these things always remind me of:
1 Samuel 16:6-8 (NIV)
6 When they arrived, Samuel saw Eliab and thought, "Surely the LORD's anointed stands here before the LORD."
7 But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."
8 Then Jesse called Abinadab and had him pass in front of Samuel. But Samuel said, "The LORD has not chosen this one either."

I don't want to be the one trumpeting "Keep Christ in Christmas" only to find out later maybe I shoulda better checked my heart. It might just NOT be the "Christian" thing to do, at least not for everyone anyway. Some of the same folks proclaiming this are probably the same ones not having any services on Christmas itself. Roll Eyes

We should stand for what is right when it counts, but I am not so sure this is one of those times? Frown

Have a blessed and merry Christmas. I hope 2006 is better than 2005 for everyone. May we all seek and find, or continue, God's will and personal place of ministry for us. Smile )

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
12-19-2005 11:56 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

Hey, Beenie:

Maybe you meant to say "God"..........maybe not, cuz it WORKS just the way it is!

GO - Bless us every one!!!!

THANKS, TERRY for your message...........lovely, lovely Smile Have a Merry Delightful Christmas with your family and friends.

THANKS, DW for your note, too..............not a stinkweed at all.

Personally, I have struggled mightily with the "Happy Holidays" message, and had to find a way to resolve it in my own heart and mind.....and when I found THIS, it clicked:

Holiday

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The word holiday has related but different meanings in English-speaking countries. Based on the Old English words holy and day (halig dæg), holidays originally represented special religious days.

Happy Holy Day!!!!!

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

12-19-2005 12:08 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Christmas is a time to reflect on the Blessings and Gifts of God, not only through the Grace of Christ. But the Blessings we share with family and our thankfulness to God for his mercy.

Its true we can reach more of those who hate God by living the life that Christ teaches us to live and reaching out to them in kindness in this season of giving than by making religious proclamations.

But I am truly thankful, that we live in a country that allows us the freedoms we have to worship God as we choose. To live our lives as we choose. But ultimately God is in contol, God is the King of Kings. I believe we have the blessings we have because we are a nation of people that has not yet turned from or forgotten who is truly on the Throne.

Psalm 9:17
The wicked return to the grave, all the nations that forget God.

Psalm 33:12
Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.

God Bless America.
Land that I love
Stand beside her, and guide her
Thru the night with a light from above.

12-19-2005 12:42 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

well - theres another Amen!

I KNOW we live in a Blessed nation-
and not just cuz I reside here..

GO bless us everyone!!! (he hee- my error sounds good)

12-19-2005 14:33 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

May your holiday season be blessed by God
May his sacrifice be more than a snippet on a greeting card
Let your light shine so it outshines even the Griswald's holiday lights
Forgive someone who absolutely doesn't deserve it
Celebrate his life
Boys and Girls renounce the world
12-19-2005 22:02 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

Merry Christmas Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Merry Christmas to all my DAmb friends.
I love you all.
Kinda like Terry but not as intense.

12-20-2005 09:56 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

pw
I see the same workable message ..
thank you.

The DAmb is my home - really.

12-20-2005 12:19 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Commander Cote
Woolly Eggwhisk

Merry Christmas Everyone
First of, thanks to Terry for the nice letter and updating us on what's going on in his life.
It's easy for us to sit back and wonder why. Why don't they do a reunion concert? Why don't they get those #$%# cd's out? I think back on how thankful I am to have seen DA, Lost Dogs, Swirling Eddies, Terry (solo) probably a total of (all combined) at least 18 - 20 times.
Thanks Guys for all the wonderful memories. Now I said all that to now say (honestly) that I apologize for the complaining that I have done over the last year or so. I guess doing a little concert promotion with Progressive Pacer in the early eighties I was so used to being in on the action and trying to make things happen and getting things done, and now being on the outside and wondering why things take so long.

J & E
I really do appreciate the things you do, and am willing to assist anytime. In the meantime
I just need to be patient. God Bless you guys.

Dale, JiMiNy, Woggy, Big Dork, Wes, Slappedhard, Dennis (I know I'm leaving someone out and I apologize) My DA friends I love you all! I'm sure if I met the rest of the gang I would love them too!

Ed, Tim, Greg
You're The Best!!

Let's all make 2006 a wonderful year! Keep everyone involved with this site in prayer!

God Bless You All & Merry Christmas!!!!
Jesus Is The Reason For The Season!!!
12-20-2005 18:20 Commander Cote is offline Send an Email to Commander Cote Search for Posts by Commander Cote Add Commander Cote to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » A Christmas Note from Terry

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH