Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » How did you find DA? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (13): « first ... « previous 5 6 [7] 8 9 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page How did you find DA? 10 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1010 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1010 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1010 Votes - Average Rating: 9.10
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Registration Date: 02-14-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

How 'd you know about that?!!

08-09-2004 09:34 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I thought it was a trade secret among ALL bass players.

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
08-09-2004 09:49 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
Originally posted by carl
I thought it was a trade secret among ALL bass players.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna bass fish!

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
08-09-2004 11:26 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Here is something for you and Brian Duncan Doughnut...

"Women Who Wear Camouflage, and The Men Who Love Them"

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-09-2004 15:05 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
Here is something for you and Brian Duncan Doughnut...

"Women Who Wear Camouflage, and The Men Who Love Them"

Nice smile - I wonder how she found DA?

08-09-2004 19:05 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Lur King Lur King is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-107.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2003

Question RE: back on track Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jollyholiday
quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
You know, this is the coolest thread ever! Pleased

This was a pretty cool thread. Let's hear some more "How did you find DA?" stories!

-jolly

01-25-2006 14:57 Lur King is offline Send an Email to Lur King Homepage of Lur King Search for Posts by Lur King Add Lur King to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool RE: How did you find DA? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

one of the best posts of all time... Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Berger Roy Al
I FIND THEM ENTIRELY REPREHENSIBLE! ESPECIALLY THEIR DIRTBAG BASS PLAYER!! JOIN ME, PEOPLE!!!

Cool
01-25-2006 15:10 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

That was a half lifetime ago so I don't exactly remember. I think I saw their stuff in a local Christian bookstore. I remember around '80 or '81 hearing some cuts from Horrendous Disc on Bread'N'Jam, an hour-long weekend Christian rock show on WDJC. Other memories of that show include cuts from Ph'lip Side (Keaggy), Seeds Of Change (Livgren), Stella, This Ain't Hollywood (D&K), Colours (Rez), & Warrior (Arkangel).

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by peawinkel: 01-26-2006 09:24.

01-25-2006 15:15 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

RE: How did you find DA? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Turn left at Greenland! Tongue

01-26-2006 08:08 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

Classic Big Grin ^ stop by MoRe often dennis... Cool

v - wayneb, great post, that's why I brought this thread back to life I enjoy reading these type of posts... Smile )

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by DaLe: 01-26-2006 10:06.

01-26-2006 09:14 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

I was sure I put in a flippant comment somewhere in this thread, but can't see it.....so.....

I was 20 in 1977. Hah! When SA came out, there was a lot of talk in NZ of "how amazing the stereo sound was". That turned me right off! I thought that if they had to use that as a selling point, then the music must have been pretty useless.

However, after discovering the 77's (Ping Pong) and a few other bands, I started to collect other stuff in earnest. Alarma came first! In 1985 I found a copy of HD and also the first album.
I had a cassette copy of DFBB in my car, that almost everyone who heard it really liked!
But, I delayed the change to CD's because I had a really expensive turntable. I missed out on Fearful Symmetry because of that, as few (less than half a dozen!) LP copies came to NZ. I did buy DFBB on CD though, as my cassette was wearing out.
Years later I paid $90 US at Radrockers for a mint copy of FS......oh to be single again!
As soon as I realised who the Eddies were, and also the Dogs, I bought them up quick...they didn't bring many copies into NZ of anything I liked.
We did get some cool stuff like in NZ like Shirley....and No Sense...., which I snapped up. Then I discovered The Choir.
I have followed the 77's right through their career though.

I have tried to get all the stuff I own on LP álso on CD, with reasonable success.

However, marriage, moving and monetary considerations have slowed me down. (as far as spending goes anyway)

I've been in a few bands over the years, and managed to work a few TST songs into the songlists - Bullet Train goes down well!

www.smashthatcomputer.com
01-26-2006 09:20 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

that sounds like watercolor memory fer sure!
20 in 77???

I turned Legal in all 50 states that year...(21)

I first heard SA in 80 (had the LP) ..but heard HD out of the gate- they had the LP at the local library. I read in CCM the "delay of all time"..so jumped on it . I loved the sound- it was really not that far from Side 2 of SA .

I was into taping things to cassette ..still got the HD cassette...
I lapsed in the early 90s- but jumped back in with SOTH..and been steady as an Eddie since.

Long live the Band that Wont go away!

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
01-26-2006 10:47 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

I think it was 1973 or 1974 when I first heard David Anus. The song that hooked me was "The Toot of the Flute". It had the airy feel of Jethro Tull combined with the jangly elements of "Peace Train". I was hooked. I remember seeing them at the infamous Blue Flame Club in Vancouver. I was underage, but really tall for my age and I was able to sneak in and watched their performance from the side of the stage. Their drummer Ed McBastard, had hair Larry Norman would envy, and after the show he would actually put it up in a bee-hive. Freaking cool. Of course the real meat of the band was Terry Tailor. He had a way with a phrase that was uncanny. His song about "Soup for the Lord" was something I'll never forget.

Soup for the Lord
I drove here in my Ford
I watched a little TV
Until we all got bored
I went into the kitchen
The cupboard they was frenchin
The labels on the cans
Were in someone's trash can
We took a chance and prayed perchance
For soup, soup for the Lord

The solo by Jerry inspired kids all over the Pacific Northwest and parts of British Columbia to proclaim that Jerry was Clapton.

Of course, like most of us, it was the release of Hemorrhoidous Disc that secured their place in rock history, followed closely by Alarming.

Anyway, that's how I came to be a DA fan.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Stuart Pedasso: 01-26-2006 14:22.

01-26-2006 11:55 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

^ Tongue

Cool
01-26-2006 12:45 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

I found it in my father's underwear drawer under some butterfly boxers.

01-26-2006 19:01 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

I've told this one a thousand times Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was younger then, but then again, weren't we all?

My sister and I went to the local CBS, back when these places were uniformed by old couples not unlike the 'Akendorfs'. We were both big rock-heads and record collectors. She put away the Billy Squire and Pat Benatar and picked up Sheila Walsh and Petra. I gravitated along with her, but neither of those selections really spoke to my inherent... shall we say, weirdness?

But on that day, when she was looking for a copy of "More Power To Ya", I saw "Doppelganger" buried waaa-aaay in the back of the rack. That mysterious mannequin on the front, the monochromatic art design, the odd sense that this disc didn't really belong here... I was roped in. I bought it without knowing what it was going to sound like.

The first listen was kind of scary. I hadn't a clue what was going on. The backup vocals had all kinds of creepy edge on them, "Hollow Man" was an art project gone mad... But "Here I Am, There You Are" hooked me, forced me to listen to the whole thing again. It wasn't long before I proverbially 'got it'.

The thing is this: the album didn't ape anything I knew from the mainstream and it didn't run in the same stream all the other CCM artists swam. It was a completely different animal, unique to itself and that's what attracted me most. No faux cover bands. No church choirs moonlighting through wish fulfillment. DA was the real thing, making music, taking it seriously (even when it was funny)...

And here I am today, still hanging around.
01-26-2006 21:33 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
samson samson is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

How did i find DA? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

started listing to DA in 76 skeptic's song was and still is a grate ( who is ready to wave goodbye) abidin ( love to here the guys do them live) a frend lent me a tape of DA first album then came shotgun angel this was my frist Christian album then found randy stonehill and larry norman.... from me to DA ( then and now) thanks much.. GOD be with you all ways... you may have not started the fire but you where the kindling.....
01-27-2006 01:51 samson is offline Send an Email to samson Search for Posts by samson Add samson to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Some Lost Dogs pointed the way to DA fer me ...

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
01-27-2006 10:49 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Chesterdox Chesterdox is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-467.jpg

Registration Date: 09-20-2005

who's this Daniel Amos you speak of?

01-27-2006 12:25 Chesterdox is offline Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

NEVER heard of 'em, Chester.

I think someone made 'em up.......................

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

01-27-2006 14:46 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Pages (13): « first ... « previous 5 6 [7] 8 9 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » How did you find DA?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH