Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (18): « first ... « previous 4 5 [6] 7 8 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update? 5 Votes - Average Rating: 8.205 Votes - Average Rating: 8.205 Votes - Average Rating: 8.20
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Zudrak Zudrak is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-341.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2006

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
Wow. Smile Your wife must've been one fine woman. Crying

She certainly was. I went to the Cape May Lighthouse this weekend with our son. The last time I went to the top was when I proposed. It was a nice memory being up there. However, I was more scared being up high this time than the last time. For some reason, being nervous about proposing kept me from thinking about my fear of heights. Wink

Of course, she was more scared of being seen as my kneeling was more of a genuflect. She said, "Yes, yes! Now get up before someone sees you!" LOL!

She was very direct and to the point. She taught me about being assertive, as I am the introvert and she was an extrovert. I'm getting better.

That all said, her bluntness in dealing with the disease and her cancer fight have inspired many people and my own family is now open to the Gospel in ways that were simply not possible prior to her getting sick. So, what the Devil intended for evil, once again God is using for good. The fact that she knew that and lived it daily since her diagnosis was incredible.

Sorry if I am threadjacking...

-Psalm 73:26
07-23-2007 11:08 Zudrak is offline Send an Email to Zudrak Search for Posts by Zudrak Add Zudrak to your Buddy List
voxrob
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-02-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

>>"excluding this case..why are we all so morbidly weird about the subject of dying?"

What's so funny about it? The reference to "kicking the bucket" seemed to have an inference: "it might be convenient if he died then there would be someone else to negotiate with" -- essentially, wishing, or, at least not really caring a whole lot if he lived or died. I'm sure he doesn't feel like that, I'm sure his family doesn't feel like that. It certainly shouldn't be joked about.

Death is serious stuff -- one definitely gets that impression when one attends a funeral -- even when they are Christians. We all desperately need more time here to repent and learn to be Christ-like. Death is, ideally, supposed to be a sobering subject such that we start thinking about what is really important in life -- have you ever thought about that -- suddenly dying and realizing that all of the things we care about right now will become unimportant -- instantly.

I realize there is a temptation to think, "well, if i die then i'll instantly be with Jesus!". Well, I think alot of the evangelical theories about our existence after death may not be so accurate and the events in the hereafter might be a little more complicated.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by voxrob: 07-23-2007 20:17.

07-23-2007 20:15 voxrob is offline Send an Email to voxrob Search for Posts by voxrob Add voxrob to your Buddy List
Zudrak Zudrak is a male
Mind Peach

quote:
Originally posted by voxrob
>>"excluding this case..why are we all so morbidly weird about the subject of dying?"

What's so funny about it? The reference to "kicking the bucket" seemed to have an inference: "it might be convenient if he died then there would be someone else to negotiate with" -- essentially, wishing, or, at least not really caring a whole lot if he lived or died. I'm sure he doesn't feel like that, I'm sure his family doesn't feel like that. It certainly shouldn't be joked about.

Death is serious stuff -- one definitely gets that impression when one attends a funeral -- even when they are Christians. We all desperately need more time here to repent and learn to be Christ-like. Death is, ideally, supposed to be a sobering subject such that we start thinking about what is really important in life -- have you ever thought about that -- suddenly dying and realizing that all of the things we care about right now will become unimportant -- instantly.

I realize there is a temptation to think, "well, if i die then i'll instantly be with Jesus!". Well, I think alot of the evangelical theories about our existence after death may not be so accurate and the events in the hereafter might be a little more complicated.

I can appreciate what you're saying. Walking around my bedroom looking at my late wife's incomplete projects and things that will never be touched by her again shows me that there are a LOT of things that have become unimportant. However, they became unimportant because she is "absent from the body and present with the Lord" (2 Corinthians 5:8 ). Paul said we can be confident and well-pleased. This is no evangelical theory. This is the Word of God.

If death is robbed of its sting (as I discussed in an above post), then we can say like Solomon in Ecclesiastes 7:1, "the day of death is better than the day of birth". Sure, it pained me to see my wife die. It still does because I long for her companionship. But I know, because my God says so, that she is with Him in glory forevermore. Like the first piece in the game Sorry, she is home safe and immovable.

Thus, I CAN joke about death. Because my security is in Jesus, then death has no sting. That is not to say that we are to be disrespectful, but amongst believers who have "this hope", we sure can laugh at death and the devil. As the Electrics sing (to my enjoyment!), "I'll be living it up when I die!"

07-24-2007 11:31 Zudrak is offline Send an Email to Zudrak Search for Posts by Zudrak Add Zudrak to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
Originally posted by voxrob

Well, I just seriously disagree with you dude. I respect your views and know some hold them.

I hope when I die I am still a Christian and there is celebrating, not mourning. The best funerals I have been to have been for great Christians, even with praise and worship (imagine that). There were plenty of tears and sorrow but also plenty of gladness and joy too at the same time. Free at last.

Funerals are a time for reflection, as they should be but they should only be really completely sober and sad in cases where it was pretty obvious it was not likely you would ever see the deceased person again in the hereafter.

I don't trust anyone who tries to overly complicate the word of God, such as the catholic purgatory concept. Frown

As far as Larry Norman, I'm sorry if my blunt statement offended you. To me it is a legit question to ask if HD would be easier and you don't have to think that anyone would actually wish him dead. That is just silly and crazy. I don't think anyone's so wacked out they would wish death on someone just to get a CD. Roll Eyes It might be interesting to know, for example, if things would be a lot more complicated then one could just go ahead and accept that it might never happen. It might also be interesting to know if Larry lived a full and happy long life that there still might be a shot at getting this thing done. Furthermore, it wasn't that long ago that Buddy Killen of KMG died and that company owns a lot of Terry's work. Maybe that is partly why I had the question so readily at hand?

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
07-24-2007 11:52 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Curly Curly is a male
Unsullied Affiche

images/avatars/avatar-293.jpg

Registration Date: 07-25-2007

I'm sure that all of you have checked out Larry's site and have noticed that he has HD CD'S available for sale.

07-25-2007 12:49 Curly is offline Search for Posts by Curly Add Curly to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Yeah, its just the one with no involvement from DA.

The hope was to get Stunt and Solid Rock to work together on one with cool liner notes, unreleased pictures, etc. Thats what Larry pulled out of.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-25-2007 12:52 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Curly Curly is a male
Unsullied Affiche

I'm going to be a stooge here for a minute and ask this question, " I haven't heard the HD before, is it as good as SHOTGUN ANGEL?"

07-25-2007 12:57 Curly is offline Search for Posts by Curly Add Curly to your Buddy List
Administrator

Wow, that really depends on which fan you ask. Some insist theres nothing better than Shotgun Angel. Others say HD. Others say the Alarma Chronicles. Others say Buechners or Darn Floor.

Its very different thats for sure. I suppose its closer to some of the rockier stuff on Side 2 of SA. More of a pop/rock 70s style.. no country at all. It was produced by DA and a guy that used to produce and engineer bands like Queen, Journey, Frank Zappa, REO Speedwagon, Lou Reed, Foreigner, Journey, Blue Öyster Cult, KISS, etc. He even engineered for the Beatles once. Big Grin

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-25-2007 13:03 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Curly Curly is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Wow, that's cool. Although I would consider side two of Shotgun Angel more high energy country rock than just rock or country. But it is good for the information and I appreciate it.

hEY MYRON, IF YOU ARE OUT THERE, What is your take on the DA/ HD /SA types of styles. I know you are kind of expert on things like this and wanted your opinion. Thanks.

I think I see the underbrush calling. I might need to scope out some other answers.

07-25-2007 13:12 Curly is offline Search for Posts by Curly Add Curly to your Buddy List
Chesterdox Chesterdox is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-467.jpg

Registration Date: 09-20-2005

quote:
Originally posted by Curly
I'm going to be a stooge here for a minute and ask this question, " I haven't heard the HD before, is it as good as SHOTGUN ANGEL?"

HD is incredible! If you like ELO songs like Telephone Line or Mr. Blue Sky you will absolutely love it.

07-25-2007 13:26 Chesterdox is offline Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List
Zudrak Zudrak is a male
Mind Peach

Ok, Chesterdox (and everyone else out there who's not a DA n00b like me),

I own all of 2 DA albums, Bibleland and Daniel Amos. How would you rank the remaining albums for me to purchase? I had a friend do this for me when I first got into Led Zeppelin and until now hadn't asked for a similar list for other bands.

Thanks in advance (should you feel the need to acquiesce to my request).

Michael / Zudrak

07-25-2007 13:51 Zudrak is offline Send an Email to Zudrak Search for Posts by Zudrak Add Zudrak to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

quote:
HD is incredible! If you like ELO songs like Telephone Line or Mr. Blue Sky you will absolutely love it.

Let me just share a bit about HD.

I never really cared too much for DA until the last year or so. My first two Christian groups I really liked were Adam Again and the 77's. Checking out Little Red Riding Hood, I say that Gene and Mike were in the Lost Dogs, so I bought it, and I was blown away by it. Consequently, I bought what I could by those bands, as well as the Choir.

As Lost Dogs concerts in the 90's, they always had Daniel Amos CD's, but I never bought one. When Green Room Serenade came out, I was disappointed that most of the songs were Terry's, because I loved Mike's and Gene's songwriting. I felt the same way about Gift Horse.

Then, Real Men Cry comes out, and I really dig the production. And everyone's talking about how Gift Horse is the best LD disc. So, I gave it another chance. Mike tends to be more introspective, I think, where Terry writes what I would call "big picture" lyrics.

Really long story a little shorter, I got married, my wife dug Gift Horse and Green Room Serenade, we played them a lot, and now I'm playing catch-up, buying DA stuff.

Now, on to Horrendous Disc.

I wasn't sure about buying it. I saw it at the local Christian book store a few months ago. I thought that I'd probably play it once or twice. This was not the case.

It deserves whatever praise it gets. It's classic rock meets new wave meets Jesus. And it's every bit as good as the best secular music that was coming out at the time.

And, it's one of two or three early DA CD's that you probably won't have to pay an arm and a leg for.

BTW, I feel the same way about Larry's "In Another Land" or whatever it's called.

07-25-2007 14:50 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

I personally don't like the New Wave CDs of the Alarma Chronicles that much musically (although the lyrics are still great). That is the following 3: Doppelganger, Vox Humana, Fearful Symmetry. (Alarma was still pretty rockin').

This is probably because I grew up mostly liking hard rock with some melodic (as opposed to thrashy) metal. And then I got into more classic rock like Zeppelin, Hendrix, and farther back than that although I only think the Beatles are just OK. I don't like a lot of cheesy keyboard music either. Some occasional piano and a good B3 or Rhodes is OK, though.

How much DA you would like and purchase order is really more your personal musicalpreferences as much as anything. Maybe if you (Zudrak) gave some more of your musical background and likes/dislikes folks could give better DA suggestions for you?

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
07-25-2007 15:02 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
ladrtrk55
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-652.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2007

quote:
I personally don't like the New Wave CDs of the Alarma Chronicles that much musically (although the lyrics are still great). That is the following 3: Doppelganger, Vox Humana, Fearful Symmetry. (Alarma was still pretty rockin').

I retrospect, I might agree with you. Especially after viewing "Live at Anahiem". Shoulderpad jackets and skinny ties.....woooof.
If I were a new fan, it would be a severe leap to get into the new wave stuff of that time. Since I lived the era, we took whatever DA sent down the pipe and loved it.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ladrtrk55: 07-25-2007 15:40.

07-25-2007 15:40 ladrtrk55 is offline Search for Posts by ladrtrk55 Add ladrtrk55 to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

quote:
Originally posted by Zudrak

I own all of 2 DA albums, Bibleland and Daniel Amos. How would you rank the remaining albums for me to purchase? I had a friend do this for me when I first got into Led Zeppelin and until now hadn't asked for a similar list for other bands.

Michael / Zudrak

i prefer mr. buechner's dream, but that's just my personal preference. i don't even know if you can still get that one ~ i don't see it in da's webstore.

i just checked ebay and it's available there
Mr. Buechner's Dream

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
07-25-2007 15:50 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Zudrak Zudrak is a male
Mind Peach

quote:
...How much DA you would like and purchase order is really more your personal musicalpreferences as much as anything. Maybe if you (Zudrak) gave some more of your musical background and likes/dislikes folks could give better DA suggestions for you?

Are you ready to read a loooooong list? Hope so!

My biggest favorite artists are: Genesis (up until Duke/1980, later is not as good to me), Yes, Rush, U2, Dwight Yoakam, Johnny Cash, Stone Temple Pilots, and Led Zeppelin. Of course, after I got saved in 1991, I discovered The 77s, Lost Dogs, The Choir, DA, Adam Again, and their members' solo discs.

Others: Army of Anyone, Audioslave (except when Morello makes noises with his guitar that horses do when they are dying!), Billy Joel, Black Stone Cherry, Blind Melon, Bonham, The Call, Carl Perkins, Chagall Guevara, Chevelle, Chicago (early only!), Clash of Symbols, Code of Ethics, Collective Soul, The Cranberries, Cream, Creed, Dakoda Motor Co., Depeche Mode, Dire Straits, Disturbed, Dogs of Peace, Dum Dog Run, The Eagles, The Electrics, Elton John (early), Eric Clapton, Evanescence, Fair, Flyleaf, Godsmack, Grammatrain, Guardian, High Flight Society, Hokus Pick, Holy Soldier, Human, Jars of Clay, Jimmy Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Kansas, Ken Tamplin, King's X, Kutless, Linkin Park, Live, Living Colour, Lovewar, Magdallan, Metallica, Midnight Oil, Mike Farris, Neal Morse, Newsboys, P.O.D., Pearl Jam, Peter Gabriel, Petra (until they stopped rockin'), PFR, Phil Keaggy, Pink Floyd, The Police, Poor Old Lu, The Prayer Chain, Queensrÿche, R.E.M., RED, Rick Wakeman, Robert Plant, Rose Blossom Punch, Roy Orbison, The Smiths, Soundgarden, Sponge, Steve Taylor, Steve Winwood, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Switchfoot, Tait, Talking Heads, Tears for Fears, Temple of the Dog, Third Day, Tom Petty, The Traveling Wilburys, Van Halen, Velvet Revolver, Vigilantes of Love, The Violet Burning, The W's, Whiteheart, Wish for Eden, and The Yardbirds.

07-25-2007 15:51 Zudrak is offline Send an Email to Zudrak Search for Posts by Zudrak Add Zudrak to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by bereal
quote:
Originally posted by Zudrak

Michael / Zudrak

i prefer mr. buechner's dream, but that's just my personal preference. i don't even know if you can still get that one ~ i don't see it in da's webstore.

i just checked ebay and it's available there
Mr. Buechner's Dream

this bears repeating since you (michael) posted right after me and may have missed my post.

Smile

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by bereal: 07-25-2007 15:53.

07-25-2007 15:52 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Administrator

It'll be back. We were about ready to do another printing about the time the Eddies came together.. so, all of the extra cashflow had to go towards that (and still is). Once things calm down a bit, we'll try to do another Buechner's printing.

Last I heard, Dan still hadn't located everything we needed to do it - but we can always work around that if necessary.

07-25-2007 15:52 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
It'll be back. We were about ready to do another printing about the time the Eddies came together.. so, all of the extra cashflow had to go towards that (and still is). Once things calm down a bit, we'll try to do another Buechner's printing.

Last I heard, Dan still hadn't located everything we needed to do it - but we can always work around that if necessary.

last i heard, dan was pretty busy.......thanks for the info Cool

Smile
07-25-2007 15:53 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Administrator

Yeah I think so.. he's a Nashville bigshot now. Big Grin

Thats ok though... we hadn't been pushing too hard for that reason. We can always work around it. One of the things we needed from him was the original artwork - but, I located an early rough version of it not long ago. I checked it out and I don't think it'd take too much work to bring it up to date... its mostly just text changes that have to be made.

07-25-2007 15:56 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Pages (18): « first ... « previous 4 5 [6] 7 8 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Ultimate Horrendous Disc Update?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH