Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Swirling Eddies - the midget, the speck and the molecule » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (17): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Swirling Eddies - the midget, the speck and the molecule 14 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0014 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0014 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0014 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0014 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think my order of liking so far is:

tremolo
it all depends
a humble man rises
medley of our hit
this is the title
cardboard box
madonna inn
salton sea
giants in the land
the midget, the speck, and the molecule (why the heck did they use that for the title?)
snow in a can

overall, i still hear some bits of solo Terry and maybe a little more DA lyrically than on past SE discs. but it 's still overall definitely an SE disc and I can't stop listening to it yet! Cool Pleased

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
07-30-2007 11:36 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Scrimshaw Nick Scrimshaw Nick is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-387.jpg

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Bad news, Mom. I promised my soul to the devil this afternoon." "Oh? That recently?" ~ Calvin and Hobbes

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
and I can't stop listening to it yet! Cool Pleased

I can't START listening to it yet! Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying

Somebody cured my political apathy but I'm not allowed to say who it is in a signature on the Message Boards
07-30-2007 20:27 Scrimshaw Nick is offline Send an Email to Scrimshaw Nick Search for Posts by Scrimshaw Nick Add Scrimshaw Nick to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Scrimshaw Nick: piratescrimshaw
Ubique Epoque

Crying sorry scrim Frown Crying

Got a few miles left ...

07-30-2007 20:33 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

I should say I did enjoy the bass playing. It was great as usual and provided some continuity with past works, in addition to Terry's vocals. Cool Pleased

Thanks Berger! I never know how you pull it off with all the Windex and Lavoris abuse you have partaken in over the years! Cool

BTW is your bass an Alembic (somebody else mentioned recently)? I thought it was an Aria Pro II?

Maybe it is really a largemouth instead? Tongue Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

07-31-2007 11:09 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Zudrak Zudrak is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-341.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2006

quote:
I should say I did enjoy the bass playing. It was great as usual and provided some continuity with past works, in addition to Terry's vocals. Cool Pleased

Thanks Berger! I never know how you pull it off with all the Windex and Lavoris abuse you have partaken in over the years! Cool

BTW is your bass an Alembic (somebody else mentioned recently)? I thought it was an Aria Pro II?

Maybe it is really a largemouth instead? Tongue Big Grin

I get my bass guitar tonight. Big Grin Perhaps I'll start learning by listening to and playing along with the Eddies. I have to say that the Eddies, Lost Dogs, and affiliated artists have some fantastic musicians in their ranks.

-Psalm 73:26
07-31-2007 12:05 Zudrak is offline Send an Email to Zudrak Search for Posts by Zudrak Add Zudrak to your Buddy List
zippetydoodaddy zippetydoodaddy is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-29-2003
Location: Lust is the craving for salt of a man who is dying of thirst. - F.B.

The Eddies Get Perspective

That's what I would have called it. It's a perfectly themed album hitting on all the screwed up views we suffer as humans.

My wife and I went to the Madonna Inn for our honeymoon 13 years ago and it is exactly as Camarillo describes it. It remains our earthly Valhalla. Don't believe me? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_Inn

Incidentally, when we spank our kids, we call it perspective.

August 2005
07-31-2007 12:12 zippetydoodaddy is offline Send an Email to zippetydoodaddy Homepage of zippetydoodaddy Search for Posts by zippetydoodaddy Add zippetydoodaddy to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

Since regular published reviews usually take a while to show up, we might gather some of the fan comments from the board and DADL into an email announcement like we did for the DA30th release.... a lot of fans out there really enjoy hearing first reactions from other fans more than normal reviews even. We can't use everything of course, but if anyone wants to potentially get included in that, post your reviews ASAP. (We'll probably just include username and location if we have it).

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-31-2007 12:40 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

MSM Cover Scan Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I thought I'd post my scan of the cover:

07-31-2007 18:23 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
snowblind snowblind is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 01-29-2007

It's the feel good album of the late summer/early fall!
07-31-2007 18:55 snowblind is offline Homepage of snowblind Search for Posts by snowblind Add snowblind to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by snowblind

does that mean you give it "two thumbs up" Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

07-31-2007 22:22 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
snowblind snowblind is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 01-29-2007

quote:
quote:

Two thumbs up and a nice warm glass of whoa nelly!
07-31-2007 23:06 snowblind is offline Homepage of snowblind Search for Posts by snowblind Add snowblind to your Buddy List
Zudrak Zudrak is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-341.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2006

It's a musical feast that keeps you going back to it like a Thanksgiving turkey.

I thought that would make a nice blurb. Seriously though, it's a great album.

-Psalm 73:26
08-01-2007 07:52 Zudrak is offline Send an Email to Zudrak Search for Posts by Zudrak Add Zudrak to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

What do you get when you have Picky Swelly, Camarillo Eddy, Judy Ism, Newt York Newt York, Derry Air, Berger Roy Al, Spot, & Eddie Degarmo in the same studio? The best recording of the year. The band that won't go away (The Swirling Eddies) have altered their line-up to become a supergroup with their latest release, The Midget, The Speck, And The Molecule. Other than Degarmo (who is considered a special guest Eddie), this band includes the talents of Marc Byrd, Terry Scott Taylor, Mike Roe, Steve Hindalong, Derri Daugherty, Tim Chandler, & Jerry Chamberlain.

Terry Scott Taylor wrote the entire music and lyrics. It opens with It All Depends, a song Lost Dogs has been covering in their recent tour. Knowing the Eddies history, you would think that this song may be about bladder control issues but it's not. This is a release of sober, soul-searching lyrics of the human condition longing for redemption day ("And that it's all just beginning when the fat lady sings"). The title track follows with imagery of passing an old hitchhiker, who becomes a midget, then a speck, then a molecule in the driver's rearview mirror. The hitchhiker should not be ignored because he has knowledge of impending doom that could assist the driver. Madonna Inn is a throwback tune that waxes nostalgic for the romantic getaway. Giants In The Land should be the single from this release. It's a very catchy tune about how the great artists/bands now struggle to pursue their art and are in dire need of direct fan support to survive. Salton Sea is another nostalgic tune that yearns for the ancient pleasures from a paradise that has become a plague. My Cardboard Box is another romantic song from a homeless man who wishes to share his cardboard box with his main squeeze. It reiterates the current instability of personal economies. Snow In A Can musically is similar to Taylor's most recent solo work, little, BIG. A very laid-back sound and another social commentary of strange modern conveniences. A Medley Of Our Hit is directed at a discontented few on the Daniel Amos messageboard (the daMB), nearly word for word of an open letter from Camarillo Eddy that was posted at the height of pre-order fatigue. Big Dork and his buddies should be proud of this cranked-out sausage. It rocks. Tremolo is very interesting musically...fresh & different sounding. Lyrically excellent, like the rest. The Humble Man Rises includes this piece of wisdom: you're stronger and you're strongest when your knees are weak. This Is The Title/The Old Hitchhiker closes the CD with humorous lyrics reminiscient of the theme to the old Garry Shandling Show. This Is The Title flows into The Old Hitchhiker, which serves as a reprise of the title track. Very well done.

Musically, this disc is quite varied. I've heard sounds that remind me of early The Choir, Orbis-era Roe, Island Dreams, & more recent T. S. Taylor.
The bass lines by Chandler propel the sounds to another level. Although Lost Dogs are a supergroup in the folksy, alt-country vein, The Swirling Eddies are one in an alternative, progressive rock vein.

If it requires another 3 year pre-order wait to get this quality music from these quality artists, I would like to place my order for another please. You can get this one immediately at http://www.danielamos.com

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by peawinkel: 08-02-2007 10:59.

08-01-2007 12:41 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
navfox navfox is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

images/avatars/avatar-448.gif

Registration Date: 06-17-2002

Great Review!

I like the way "The Humble Man Rises" is set to the Bass guitar. "To an all time low".
08-01-2007 12:58 navfox is offline Send an Email to navfox Homepage of navfox Search for Posts by navfox Add navfox to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for navfox
Lur King Lur King is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-107.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2003

quote:
quote:
quote:

Two thumbs up and a nice warm glass of whoa nelly!

I tried to find a picture of a warm glass of whoa nelly! but, the .jpeg filter must be on again HeRe at work.

08-01-2007 13:34 Lur King is offline Send an Email to Lur King Homepage of Lur King Search for Posts by Lur King Add Lur King to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

quote:
I think my order of liking so far is:

tremolo
it all depends
a humble man rises
medley of our hit
this is the title
cardboard box
madonna inn
salton sea
giants in the land
the midget, the speck, and the molecule (why the heck did they use that for the title?)
snow in a can

overall, i still hear some bits of solo Terry and maybe a little more DA lyrically than on past SE discs. but it 's still overall definitely an SE disc and I can't stop listening to it yet! Cool Pleased

snow in a can is by far the worst song...
it is the only song i hit the skip button on.. so that's good.. Big Grin
but was snow in the can a leftover from little, big or the fabled big, little?
it's really out of place on this cd... Confused
the only reason i give the cd an A- and not an A..... Cool

Cool
08-01-2007 14:11 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Actually I think it fits nicely, and especially considering the spiritual connotations. I believe there is a running thread through Terry's writing that points out how hollow the things the world have to offer are. When the vail is lifted and we the bride see the world through the eyes of Glory. All of our creations are shabby compared to what God has created.

When the curtain comes down I'll pack my things and go
That's not in the show
But it's part of the play
All the little men they come and put away the sun
And the big blue sky

And something beautiful, something clean
behind the shabby bible scenes
Something real that built a dream
called Bibleland....

Wash our little paper dishes
In the photo of a sink
I'll tape an ad to your shoulders
A catalouge mink
Give you newspaper roses
Champagne ink

What does it proffit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul, this world and all the crap in it will pass away. But the culture is that everything the world has to offer is what we need, that it can solve all the problems and answer all of our needs.

Moving into the age of leisure
Where east meets west in a maze of pleasure
And why do we feel we can live forever?
Cos' they've piped in music of religious nature...

How come you're sad, how come you cry
When golden arches 'cross your sky?
They're reminders of sweet bye and bye
This could be heaven when we die...

When really the illusion is this world, the temporal, the flesh, it will one day all be gone and what is really important is the spiritual.

08-01-2007 14:26 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
navfox navfox is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

images/avatars/avatar-448.gif

Registration Date: 06-17-2002

I agree in some ways, that "Snow in a can" doesnt fit as well as the other songs... But what is the concept of this album anyway? Thats what gets me, since there is "ALWAYS" a concept to anything Terry related.

However, I think this song lyrically is the best written, smart and witty, love the way he uses words!
08-01-2007 15:06 navfox is offline Send an Email to navfox Homepage of navfox Search for Posts by navfox Add navfox to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for navfox
achentodaze
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 02-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
Actually I think it fits nicely, and especially considering the spiritual connotations. I believe there is a running thread through Terry's writing that points out how hollow the things the world have to offer are. When the vail is lifted and we the bride see the world through the eyes of Glory. All of our creations are shabby compared to what God has created.

In a similar vein, 'Snow in a Can' thematically reminds me of DA's 'Pay for Surf' - regarding the attraction we have to things that aren't the 'real thing'.

"Here's an artificial wave by the Astroturf
If the water's flat, he'll pay for surf
By inflatable palm trees on the shifting sand
She plays beach blanket bingo with her plastic man"

I like 'Snow in a Can' because of the juxtoposition between the musical style and the lyrical content.
08-01-2007 15:06 achentodaze is offline Search for Posts by achentodaze Add achentodaze to your Buddy List
achentodaze
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 02-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by navfox
I agree in some ways, that "Snow in a can" doesnt fit as well as the other songs... But what is the concept of this album anyway? Thats what gets me, since there is "ALWAYS" a concept to anything Terry related.

However, I think this song lyrically is the best written, smart and witty, love the way he uses words!

Although there are multiple themes to TMTSTM, a main theme I see is 'perspective' Perspective found in many different ways and means - the whole looking back in a rear view mirror after you have passed something and seeing it differently. And being 57, Terry probably has fair amount of perspective.

Some lyrical examples:

It All Depends: "I guess it all depends on how you look at these things"

The Midget, The Speck and The Molecule: "Can you see me through your glass darkly?"

Madonna Inn: "Come Sunday morning everything in there's true, but Friday night is no time for revival"

Giants in the Land: "Parchment plans and cobweb dreams"

Salton Sea: "We were kings and queens, now our brittle-boned dreams are shipwrecked on the Salton Sea"

My Cardboard Box: "In time I grew disgusted by all the homeless scum, but babe I've just adjusted now that I'm one"

Snow in a Can: "Abracadabra, alakazam, flip a switch and it's snowin' at Disneyland"

A Medley of Our Hit: "No this is nothin', really nothin' at all. Compared to coming glory, it don't compare a bit."

Tremelo: "In a trembling daze, an ephemeral haze that the trusting heart rejects"

The Humble Man Rises: "You're strongest when your knees are weak"

This is the Title: "I could always write a love song, still it's better to live it, better to give it"
08-01-2007 15:54 achentodaze is offline Search for Posts by achentodaze Add achentodaze to your Buddy List
Pages (17): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Swirling Eddies - the midget, the speck and the molecule

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH