Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Beat Menace lyrics? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Beat Menace lyrics?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

Beat Menace lyrics? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

There seems to be some lyrics missing from "Return of the Beat Menace" as listed here on the site. I can't quite make them out by listening to the song:

It's right after "Resolved in your mind- the nature of crime / Is to swallow the line of the beat menace" and starts out "You live to... (something, something, etc)"

A little help?
10-26-2007 13:14 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah I have noticed that too. I have been wondering as well.

You live to correct those who reject the (smothing-something) of the beat meance.

Then "Imagination's on the rise again, so hide your heart away."

10-26-2007 15:46 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"You live to correct those who reject the sins you connect to the beat menace."

Reading this prompts the question, are there still churches out there that, straight off the bat, condemn rock music be it secular, Christian or otherwise, because it is rock? In my young days, the church we attended certainly was. Here I saw kids caught smack in the middle of peer pressure, culture shock and the pangs of forming identity and the church elders would insist that they don't care if it came from the Christian bookstore. It was still Satanic.

I imagine a lot of them started getting the impression of who could serve God and who could not, and those long-haired weirdos certainly could not (Jesus' company excepted, of course). I remember some commentary about the "tribal beat" and the "brazen, voodoo sound" that would be hilarious were it not for the utterly insulting racial angle being asserted. So then, the few people who could have gotten Jesus to them were also secretly evil. Those who were not evil: short haired, oft bespectacled, rather white. A southern accent couldn't hurt either...

DwD
10-26-2007 16:47 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Thanks for pointing that out... we will have to correct that one.

10-26-2007 17:48 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
ladrtrk55
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-652.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2007

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy

Reading this prompts the question, are there still churches out there that, straight off the bat, condemn rock music be it secular, Christian or otherwise, because it is rock? In my young days, the church we attended certainly was. Here I saw kids caught smack in the middle of peer pressure, culture shock and the pangs of forming identity and the church elders would insist that they don't care if it came from the Christian bookstore. It was still Satanic.

I imagine a lot of them started getting the impression of who could serve God and who could not, and those long-haired weirdos certainly could not (Jesus' company excepted, of course). I remember some commentary about the "tribal beat" and the "brazen, voodoo sound" that would be hilarious were it not for the utterly insulting racial angle being asserted. So then, the few people who could have gotten Jesus to them were also secretly evil. Those who were not evil: short haired, oft bespectacled, rather white. A southern accent couldn't hurt either...

DwD

I began a personal crusade to counter that kind ignorance back when the pastor of the church we were attending had an alter call to burn some Mylon LeFevre concert tickets.
Insanity.
Kids were having sex in the upper room closets and I had to sneek Rez Band and Daniel Amos albums into the youth group like contraband.
The mother of one of the kids confronted me over the lyrics off "Vox Humana" 'She's all Heart'...
My longing:
To be brave until the end of all my days
At the neighing of the red horse,
Fearing nothing
When I break down COs of this
She sees no tears

To accentuate the utter shallowness of a Christian intellect was her questioning whether the red horse refered to something satanic. Lord have mercy, she'd never read the Book of Revelations.

10-26-2007 18:38 ladrtrk55 is offline Search for Posts by ladrtrk55 Add ladrtrk55 to your Buddy List
Drtuddle
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-509.jpg

Registration Date: 03-27-2002

quote:
her questioning whether the red horse refered to something satanic

Texas Church Hens! Ready to attack!

10-26-2007 19:25 Drtuddle is offline Send an Email to Drtuddle Homepage of Drtuddle Search for Posts by Drtuddle Add Drtuddle to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

"The 80's rock wars are over" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

Reading this prompts the question, are there still churches out there that, straight off the bat, condemn rock music be it secular, Christian or otherwise, because it is rock?

Kris Klingensmith, the former drummer/lyricist for Barnabas, attended the recent Southern California edition of Cornerstone, and came back with some interesting thoughts:
quote:

I've been thinking about Cornerstone all day. It'll take awhile for me to get my poop grouped so I'm hoping this thread continues to grow for a few days, or weeks. I want to talk about this.

It was wonderful to be at Cornerstone this weekend. I was happy to be there. I felt like a homie, and I haven't set foot in a Christian music festival since Greenfest in Toronto, the last show Barnabas ever played (what was that -- 1985, or something? I forget).

It makes me wonder what I've missed over the last 2+ decades.

It seems everybody these days (including me, constantly) has been whining about the pathetic state of rock music, and how rock & roll has been steamrolled by brain-dead pop and brain-deader crap, etc. blah blah blah.

Well, that's certainly true in the secular music biz, but the amazing truth -- the freaking killer truth -- is that Christian bands are not only keeping rock music alive and kicking, they're pushing into louder, gnarlier realms.

I love this. This is medicine to me.

Christians -- CHRISTIANS -- are the best and probably last hope for hard rock music on planet earth.

The 80's rock wars are over, and we win.

We win.

WE WIN.

I saw it, and I get it. I get it.

The Body of Christ is comfortable and openly aggressive with rock music, from Anberlin to Demon Hunter.

And all bands in between.

We win.

The bands win.

The listeners win.

That sorry, silly, nasty old 80's creepy jimmy swaggart thing is dead.

Dead.

It's dead.

This is good, brothers and sisters.

The Church -- the Body of Christ -- owns a significant piece of rock & roll tonight.

Sweet.

I love it.

I LOVE IT.
10-26-2007 20:10 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

I remember back in the early 80s someone had given me a tract condemning Christian rock music. It contained all the usual "jungle boogie" rhetoric, but also made a point about the ungodly lifestyles of such Christian rock artists as...

Kris Kristofferson?

Andrew Loyd Weber?

Roll Eyes
10-27-2007 08:11 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
bein heinni
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-12-2004

if you don't bring cash, we will menace you with a beating until we get it out of you! Mad

Benny Hinn, evangelist extraordinaire
Toufik Benedictus Hinn born in Jaffa, Israel
10-27-2007 10:19 bein heinni is offline Search for Posts by bein heinni Add bein heinni to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
DwD

Yes, very good. I played it over and over going home and heard the same thing, at last, at last.

10-30-2007 08:32 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

uhm - look at the lyric sheet that came with the CD...

Oh wait.... Cool

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
10-30-2007 09:29 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Drtuddle
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-509.jpg

Registration Date: 03-27-2002

quote:
wakachiwaka

"Jungle music can God really use it?"

10-30-2007 09:59 Drtuddle is offline Send an Email to Drtuddle Homepage of Drtuddle Search for Posts by Drtuddle Add Drtuddle to your Buddy List
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

I remember watching a video called Hells Bells when I was a youth group leader in L.A. It was mostly references to obscure bands and scare tactics. The end just killed me. We had a room full of kids watching this thing and the guy says that there are plenty of alternatives to the evil rock music. Then he shows these ladies dancing to totally goofy music and expects kids to burn their albums and listen to that crap. It was ridiculous.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
10-30-2007 10:16 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
ladrtrk55
Luteous Llama

sprinklerhead, we were at the last performance, in San Antonio, of Stryper before they broke up.
As we were leaving, there was some bunch of kooks from a Baptist church there in SA. They didn't buy tickets, of course, and were out front as the crowds left, extoling to evils of the Christian rock bands.
As there were lots of plain old rockers there, we decided to run interference for them. We engaged the Beatmenace folk out by our cars, virtually blocking them from the unsaved and the weaker brethern.
They didn't realize what we were doing, as several of our party had taken them out of the 'fight'.
As the confrontation wound down, I asked what church they represented and who their pastor was.
Later that week, I wrote a personal letter of rebuke to the pastor. I included several testimonies including those of the musicians, scripture backing(Ps.150,etc), and the names and numbers we and our chuch pastor could be contacted for further discussion as to the proper witnessing techniques at rock concerts.

Never heard one word back from them.

10-30-2007 10:31 ladrtrk55 is offline Search for Posts by ladrtrk55 Add ladrtrk55 to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
uhm - look at the lyric sheet that came with the CD...

Oh wait.... Cool

Yeah...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 10-30-2007 10:56.

10-30-2007 10:55 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

RE: Beat Menace lyrics? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Gamgee
There seems to be some lyrics missing from "Return of the Beat Menace" as listed here on the site.

It's missing from the CD / record and tape as well.

10-30-2007 10:55 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

RE: Beat Menace lyrics? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
There seems to be some lyrics missing from "Return of the Beat Menace" as listed here on the site.

that's kind of a menace ... Tongue Big Grin

maybe the DFBB reissue will correct this! Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
10-30-2007 13:03 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Attention RE: Beat Menace lyrics? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:

i had to pull out my "cassette" Shocked and check.........
it is.........
(i don't own an "official" copy on cd...... Red Face )
hopefully, it will be right on the arena rock re-issue........ Cool

Cool
10-30-2007 13:12 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

"Kris Klingensmith, the former drummer/lyricist for Barnabas, attended the recent Southern California edition of Cornerstone, and came back with some interesting thoughts:..."

I'm sorry, but I've been all over Underoath's "Define The Great Line" and although they're on Tooth And Nail and thank Jesus in the liner notes, all that comes across is a lot of screamo angst. I'm not saying they can't rock, and I'm not saying they have to be bumper sticker theologians, but I got nothing about man, God or whatever lies between from that recording. I got that the band was really angry, sad, upset, confused but you get that from any emo/screamo band.

I'm just wondering what Klingensmith would have gotten from that performance.
10-30-2007 19:27 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
ladrtrk55
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
quote:

i had to pull out my "cassette" Shocked and check.........
it is.........
(i don't own an "official" copy on cd...... Red Face )
hopefully, it will be right on the arena rock re-issue........ Cool

I might give my old "Dr.Edward Daniel Taylor Miracle Faith Telethon" a listen.
Terry does the "actor's studio" reading of "Return of the Beat Menace".

10-30-2007 20:22 ladrtrk55 is offline Search for Posts by ladrtrk55 Add ladrtrk55 to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Beat Menace lyrics?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH