Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » R.I.P. Larry Norman » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (6): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page R.I.P. Larry Norman
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

in some ways i liked this one even better!!!!!
hows your collection stand up to this???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCYh_c2-Ue8&feature=related

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
02-28-2008 23:37 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Myron Myron is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 11-03-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
I thank the Lord for some of these great mems of Larryboy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EdtqGB-Yx0&feature=related

I loved this video- (it was the subtitles that made me grab it- Poika that I am)
but its a very poignant tune of his I've never heard.
the man had his moments..for sure.

He wrote that song for his son when his marriage was splitting up and they were going to be living a state apart. It was on the "Home At Last" "comeback" album in 1989. It's a song Larry didn't perform many times, but one that got him emotionally when he would do it live.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Myron: 02-29-2008 01:14.

02-29-2008 01:13 Myron is offline Send an Email to Myron Search for Posts by Myron Add Myron to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

thx for that

as you see by the other clip- theres a lot of Larry out there.., and the song is about a value I hold dearly too- cuz its HARD to put yourself aside always for sake of family.
(but worth it I've found.) Cool

02-29-2008 10:16 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
That says it about as well as anyone is ever gonna, I think. I just watched that clip of Larry and I playing together at the Cafe Paradiso in Eugene awhile back. What a memorable night. Once Larry walked in it was Larry's show all the way through the encore and dinner afterwards. I will never forget that night, and seeing the clip really makes me miss him. Such a heavy cat, he was...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmdvYmx-RFw&feature=related

02-29-2008 11:27 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

great song and performance - thanks

Psalm 119:83
02-29-2008 14:38 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
anochria anochria is a male
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-529.gif

Registration Date: 05-11-2004

the memorial service Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Went to his memorial service in Salem this morning. A very moving event, full of wonderful memories and celebration. It was amazing to see all the folks that represent the impact he had throughout his life, even up to the end.
03-01-2008 23:18 anochria is offline Send an Email to anochria Homepage of anochria Search for Posts by anochria Add anochria to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

RE: the memorial service Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm glad you got the chance to go! Did they video tape it, I know they talked of doing a live feed to the internet or something...

03-01-2008 23:32 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Myron Myron is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

RE: the memorial service Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
I'm glad you got the chance to go! Did they video tape it, I know they talked of doing a live feed to the internet or something...

I was there as well. They did film it, at least they had live footage showing on the screen throughout, so a camera was running.

Of interest to DA fans is that Alex MacDougall was there and I enjoyed the chance to meet him. I'm not sure if this has already been posted but the six member lineup from the late 70's is considering re-uniting to do some sort of tour of the entire Shotgun Angel album...wouldn't that be something if it does come about?
03-02-2008 03:01 Myron is offline Send an Email to Myron Search for Posts by Myron Add Myron to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

A Tribute Song for Larry Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Richard Cummins with Phil Keaggy:
http://www.myspace.com/richardcumminsmusic

04-04-2008 21:34 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Cool Cool Cool
and with Keaggy on guitar, what else could it be?
04-04-2008 21:47 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

RE: A Tribute Song for Larry Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by peawinkel

I really REALLY need to get this guy's CDs someday.

EDIT: Just added him to my iTunes cart for later. Cool

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wakachiwaka: 04-04-2008 23:19.

04-04-2008 23:10 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
jon eddies jon eddies is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 10-29-2007

Larry Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

No matter what can be said about his dealings he was a man larger than life and wrote some great music that impacted many people. The thing I think about his tunes is that he wrote brutal truth in a lot of his songs, Look into Jesus comes to mind, and really very few ever did that let alone still do. That is one of things I admire about Terry, Mike, and this whole circle of musicians too. They all do it in their own way but they are all unafraid to address tough issues, real life and all.
What is so very sad is how "Christian rock" has turned it's back on that idea as whole. It's like the point behind Ribbons and Bows or Angels Tuck you in. That is the bulk of the Christian Music scene today. There are always standouts but they are usually scorned by the average joe Christian music fans.
Not unlike Larry and Terry we all are a lost breed. Not dead but certainly an endangered Species. Long live us, and may Larry RIP sitting at the throne singing that "Sweet Song of Salvation".
04-04-2008 23:55 jon eddies is offline Send an Email to jon eddies Search for Posts by jon eddies Add jon eddies to your Buddy List
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

This is funny. You folks in the Northwest need to find this guy named Tom and help him out. I love the comment that says:

it sounds like this guy is smart enough to find jesus but just not quite smart enough to find google. .d.amn...so close.

Portland Mercury

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by sprinklerhead: 04-18-2008 21:38.

04-18-2008 21:37 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

I cant even give "Tom" whacky fan status.
That was hilarious!

04-19-2008 22:16 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

RE: A Tribute Song for Larry Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
quote:

Me too. Pleased

04-20-2008 21:22 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Myron Myron is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:
quote:

Me too. Pleased

I have it and it's a great CD, very retro Beatlesque on many of the tracks, and some trippy stuff with a throwback nod to 70's Jesus Music. It's one of those type of CD's that grows on you over time. The Keaggy and Stonehill contributions are a nice touch too. I am biased, because he lives in my town, and attends my church, but that being said, it really is an impressive CD...I'd like it even if I didn't know him. Do yourself a favour and order it.
04-21-2008 01:18 Myron is offline Send an Email to Myron Search for Posts by Myron Add Myron to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Myron
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:
quote:

Me too. Pleased

I have it and it's a great CD, very retro Beatlesque on many of the tracks, and some trippy stuff with a throwback nod to 70's Jesus Music. It's one of those type of CD's that grows on you over time. The Keaggy and Stonehill contributions are a nice touch too. I am biased, because he lives in my town, and attends my church, but that being said, it really is an impressive CD...I'd like it even if I didn't know him. Do yourself a favour and order it.

I really like what I have heard. Pleased

04-21-2008 06:07 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Myron
quote:
Originally posted by Ron E

I was there as well. They did film it, at least they had live footage showing on the screen throughout, so a camera was running.

Of interest to DA fans is that Alex MacDougall was there and I enjoyed the chance to meet him. I'm not sure if this has already been posted but the six member lineup from the late 70's is considering re-uniting to do some sort of tour of the entire Shotgun Angel album...wouldn't that be something if it does come about?

can we go back to this for a minute??????

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

04-21-2008 07:56 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

well sharpen your ice skates..
we will all go on the rink with the devil when that happens..
Big Grin

Phil K is the only one (so far) with the what for to actually TOUR promoting an old favorite, adn look how brief that is

(and my preference would be HD ..to hear that spun live would be pretty ambitious in itself. The strings and lush sounds of SA would be hard to replicate.).

04-21-2008 09:12 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

and btw

after reading a bit more NOW about LN- ..I dunno , his overall opinion (fer me) has been lowered even more,..
(get Stonehill-limited Edition from 84..it'll paint a picture of his "derailing")

but I MUST SAY (even with that) the treasures of his music have grown even more

Fathers Touch-
if your lookin for a FANTASTIC overall Larryism recording..wow- it has nuggets that are really worth their weight.

Copper Wires too- great stuff!

04-21-2008 09:17 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Pages (6): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » R.I.P. Larry Norman

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH