Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Rejoice with me! Found a DA bookset » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Rejoice with me! Found a DA bookset
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
gowensby gowensby is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 03-25-2006

Rejoice with me! Found a DA bookset Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My friend was at a Half Price books in the Dallas area and texted me that they had a copy of the Alarma Chronicles book set from M8. I immediately asked him to buy it not even asking the price. So he brings it to me today with the receipt. Just under $20.00 including tax!!!

Rejoice with me!!!

gowensby
03-03-2008 10:21 gowensby is offline Homepage of gowensby Search for Posts by gowensby Add gowensby to your Buddy List
ladrtrk55
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-652.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2007

RE: Rejoice with me! Found a DA bookset Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

lucky

03-03-2008 10:28 ladrtrk55 is offline Search for Posts by ladrtrk55 Add ladrtrk55 to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i am having a hard time with envy, jealousy etc. trying to overtake the rejoicing Frown

but congratulations you lucky guy! Smile

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
03-03-2008 10:30 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Woohoo! I will rejoice with you!

Stories like that provide hope to poor schmucks like me.

Somewhere out there is a reasonably-priced Alarma bookset, just waiting for me.

03-03-2008 11:06 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Thread Starter Thread Started by gowensby

I have found some gems along the way trolling through pawn shops and half-price bookstores. The same store has Songs of the Heart and John Wayne, but they're a little more common. Don't give up hope!
03-03-2008 11:32 gowensby is offline Homepage of gowensby Search for Posts by gowensby Add gowensby to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Well, I did find Let's Spin on CD from a pawn shop a number of years ago for maybe $5 or something. Big Grin

once again:
what is the legality of getting CD copies from others for titles you only own on cassette or LP? i can't remember Red Face

and while the subject is out there, is there any cheap way to get a legitimate digital copy of an audio or movie title if you relinquish your original no-longer-working copy to someone?

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
03-03-2008 13:53 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
once again:
what is the legality of getting CD copies from others for titles you only own on cassette or LP? i can't remember Red Face

The fair use standards act basically states that you yourself can make a backup of a recording you own. You cannot distributed that copy and if you sell the original, you can't keep the copy. What some people seem to think is that you can make a copy for someone else, but that is not covered in the fair use act. In that situation you need approval from the copyright holder, which is why Kinkos won't photocopy copyrighted work, etc. It all gets a lot more complicated when it comes to digital reproductions, the laws were updated and redefined in the 90s to cover those new technologies.

03-03-2008 14:35 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

RE: Rejoice with me! Found a DA bookset Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by gowensby
My friend was at a Half Price books in the Dallas area and texted me that they had a copy of the Alarma Chronicles book set from M8. I immediately asked him to buy it not even asking the price. So he brings it to me today with the receipt. Just under $20.00 including tax!!!

Rejoice with me!!!

gowensby

Nice! Cool

I love HPB! Pleased

03-03-2008 14:45 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

Congratulations on your excellent find, and on having such a thoughtful friend! You are blessed.
03-03-2008 14:48 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
quote:
once again:

The fair use standards act basically states that you yourself can make a backup of a recording you own. You cannot distributed that copy and if you sell the original, you can't keep the copy. What some people seem to think is that you can make a copy for someone else, but that is not covered in the fair use act. In that situation you need approval from the copyright holder, which is why Kinkos won't photocopy copyrighted work, etc. It all gets a lot more complicated when it comes to digital reproductions, the laws were updated and redefined in the 90s to cover those new technologies.

I don't believe there is any language which stipulates that your "backup" copy must be of identical or lesser quality than the original, or that the format must be the same. If you already bought it once, a format change shouldn't force you to have to buy it again, IMHO.
03-04-2008 01:15 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

that is sweet!
so - it'll be up on Ebay next week- right??

my similar find was 123 box set by the 7z - with booklet-15 bucks.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-04-2008 08:44 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Thread Starter Thread Started by gowensby

At first I was tempted. I'm a diehard DA fan so I have each of the individual Alarma Chronicles releases, but then once I looked at the text, the articles and the extra introductions by Terry for each album I thought no way am I selling this.

Actually spotted my blurry self on the Instructions Through Film DVD. I was at the C-stone concert that night and will never forget it. They played Elvis Costello "Pump it Up!"
03-05-2008 21:39 gowensby is offline Homepage of gowensby Search for Posts by gowensby Add gowensby to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

i dont have it - but if i did - Id probably keep it.

03-05-2008 21:52 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

i know of someone who is willing to pay 100-150 for a bookset, if anyone wants to part with their's.......

just let me know, i'll get you in contact.

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

03-06-2008 10:20 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
quote:
once again:

I don't believe there is any language which stipulates that your "backup" copy must be of identical or lesser quality than the original, or that the format must be the same. If you already bought it once, a format change shouldn't force you to have to buy it again, IMHO.

Never said the format has to be the same or lesser quality. If you own an LP you can make a CD backup. The issue is that the owner of the item has the right to make the backup, but the law doesn't allow for someone else making the backup for you. That is where some believe there is a loophole, but they are mistaken. It also doesn't allow for distrubution of copies to other people. The intent of the law and the reason it was written was that someone could buy an album, make a copy as a backup and put it away incase the original gets destroyed. Or they could play the backup and put the original in storage.

The law is one made to define what is allowed as opposed to what is not. This is why people mistunderstand it. They think because it doesn't say that someone else cannot make the backup for you that means it would be ok. You have to look at it like this... all copying of copyrighted material is forbidden except under these two circumstances; 1. If you have permission from the copyright owner or 2. You bought the album and you yourself want to make a backup for yourself.

The fair use act doesn't allow for distribution, or copying services.

03-06-2008 10:42 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

I copy that-

oops - I mean 10-4

Cool

03-06-2008 11:01 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

I'm the guy on the hunt for the bookset...and basically anything else besides HD, MBD, and Songs...

If you have doubles, or would be willing to part with something for a decent price, let me know.

Thanks.

03-06-2008 11:50 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

http://www.riaa.com/physicalpiracy.php?c..._online_the_law

03-06-2008 17:31 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/askjack/2005...if_you_own.html

03-06-2008 17:33 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/rawfisher...onsumers_e.html

03-06-2008 17:35 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Rejoice with me! Found a DA bookset

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH